Question

Another "which phone should I buy" post (VZW)

OK guys, I'm turning to the experts on this forum for some advice.
Here's the bottom line: I currently have no smart phone (just a dumb phone lulz), and absolutely NEED a smartphone for my new promotion by the end of June. As stated, I'm a verizon customer, and luckily have a nice upgrade coming.
I'm a young professional who more than anything needs functionality out of my phone. If I need to look something up in a flash, or spend a few minutes reading an important article for work, I want a phone that will not have me waiting endlessly for a page to load. I also like decent battery life (nothing can ruin a night on the town like trying to call a 2am cab with a dead phone!). Not really a gamer, other than angry birds or something simple, and I like youtube as much as the next guy, but really won't be using my phone for entertainment beyond some music.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Another "which phone should I buy" post (VZW)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Another "which phone should I buy" post (VZW)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My suggestion

Go with an Android phone. It gives you much more expandability options than the fruit phone. On my Family Share plan, I have a Droid X and iPhone 4 w/ Verizon. Don't get me wrong, I do like the iPhone but I like my Droid X much better. There are more than a few newer Android handsets coming to Verizon. I think that a 4G phone would be a better choice.

- Collapse -
Answer
Truth be told

The idea that you would necessarily be 'stuck with a 3G phone' is sort of ludicrous at best. The amount of potential utility on a 3G Droid or iPhone is so high that there would be little reason not to grab a Verizon branded iPhone 4. It is more than capable as a multipurpose device that does all of the things you mention, and generally requires less 'fiddling' than most Android devices.

- Collapse -
Answer
If 4G gets approved.

Google 4G GPS for the story.

- Collapse -
4G is already approved

That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not there is a real-world issue with the base stations (affecting GPS) that cannot eventually be dealt with adequately by RF engineers. It will certainly be a little 'horse trading' behind the scenes.

- Collapse -
It's not there yet.
- Collapse -
Lightsquared LTE vs ATT/Verizon LTE

Bob,

- Collapse -
Verizon & ATT will have their buildouts regardless

I'm certain they pay plenty of lobbyists to keep the market in their favor and limit potential competition, which a Lightsquared buildiout most certainly would be.

- Collapse -
Las Vegas GPS warning from FAA
- Collapse -
I'm still confused

Bob,

<I acknowledge the FAA warnings> But you keep referring to Lightsquared, again, on 1550 MHz, and not to either ATT or Verizon's LTE buildouts that do not affect GPS. Point the drive home is that it's not 4G tech as a whole that's messing with GPS but only a particular buildout on a specific frequency range. I don't know anyone who's buying Lightsquared LTE service yet since it's still in testing stages, so this is all moot. My guess is, down the road if they actually get off the ground, it will only be MVNOs buying access rights. Neither ATT or Verizon will be using/roaming on their network since they don't operate on that frequency.

- Collapse -
Then make it clear to everyone

To avoid this but not that. For now we are left with folk wanting to promote 4G and as it stands, it's a bad thing.

Good luck in telling everyone what is bad and what is going to be OK.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
My suggestion your Decision

I would suggest you to go for HTC mobile cause they are affordables and having great functionality

- Collapse -
Answer
I have the same question

I am going to buy a new mobile and for that i desperately need your suggesstions. I am too confused for them that which one should i buy n which is not??help me...

- Collapse -
Answer
4G

I would probably try to get the latest technology for anything. Especially if you enter into a 2-year contract. 4G will be nothing in 2 years. I'm positive that 4G will even be considered slow to what will be out in about 2 years. So, keep in mind that technology is always moving forward and once you fall behind, it might be hard to catch up!

- Collapse -
4G and GPS. Will 4G get off the ground?

I wonder if you're wondering about 4G's fate.

- Collapse -
There is no fate, it's coming

Bob,

- Collapse -
It's from failures in the field.
- Collapse -
why do you assume '5G' is coming so quickly(?)

Keep in mind, like EVDO/CDMA and GSM/WCDMA, things take a little time to buildout properly.

- Collapse -
Here's why.
- Collapse -
I know you're trying to keep people in the know here, but...

...I believe you have some of the technical differences mixed up perhaps.

- Collapse -
(NT) Will the real 4G stand up?
- Collapse -
Update

Bob,

CNET Forums