Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another way to support the troops...

and this is a Washington Post staff article so you can count on it not leaning to the right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/23/AR2006072300630.html?referrer=email

Every T-Shirt Tells a War Story
Group Designs Clothing To Show Support for Troops

By Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 24, 2006; Page A17

While the yellow ribbon has become the accepted sign of support for U.S. troops fighting overseas, it is decidedly plain, impersonal and sometimes intensely politicized.

At least that is what the founders of Take Pride believe, and they are trying to rally America's youth around a new set of symbols that show solidarity with the country's servicemen and servicewomen. The organization is promoting T-shirts aimed at evoking the spirit of the troops who are fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, without taking a political stance.

So far, the group offers nine different shirts inspired by individual soldiers and Marines who have risked their lives -- or are risking their lives -- on the battlefield. The shirts are colorful and contemporary, and capture the mood of those who have lived the wars. ...

There is a link near the bottom and I suggest avoiding it if on dial-up as it uses Flash exclusively but for those on broadband (or with lots of time on their hands) the slide show is quite worthwhile.
http://www.takepride.com/

I ordered several myself (some for gifts) and they will fit right alongside several I currently wear such as "Join the US Cavalry! Travel to strange lands, meet new people, Kill them" and "Someone said there is safety in numbers. Quick, send us those protesters!"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another way to support the troops...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another way to support the troops...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you travel outside of the USA

In reply to: Another way to support the troops...

wearing a t-shirt with meet new people, Kill them" on it?

Collapse -
Yes, I have...

In reply to: Do you travel outside of the USA

and as a matter of simple fact I have a couple (light brown in color and mil spec) that have that printed on them that I wore in Grenada and they came about because older ones (Olive Drab in color) well worn in South East Asia and Australia and yes, even Canada (Vancouver area) had become a bit threadbare.

No one seeing me in it had a problem -- I suspect you do only because you are there and I am here.

You didn't bother reading the article nor watching the Slide Show now did you. (not a question as the answer is evident and requires no further input from you although like the backyard quick trots you likely just can't stop yourself)

Collapse -
He's a suggestion

In reply to: Yes, I have...

Order up a couple hundred,(make XXXX large, so they fit over body armour), send them to Iraq, see if the troops want to wear them.

Collapse -
"He's a suggestion" -- broken English?

In reply to: He's a suggestion

Collapse -
You don't have a response

In reply to: "He's a suggestion" -- broken English?

to my suggestion to you that you send t-shirts to troops, so the people they are saving from Saddam, know how they feel about ''meeting new people''?

Collapse -
I don't respond to utter stupidity. Dealing with contrived

In reply to: You don't have a response

ignorance is the limit.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grenada , Now THAT was a war.

In reply to: Yes, I have...

Collapse -
Limited though it was...

In reply to: (NT) Grenada , Now THAT was a war.

the rounds snapping near were real as could be and even for those with no previous experience offered insights unavailable to those like you who only experience it vicariously through TV or role playing games (or comic books like G.I.Joe as DK was wont to do).

You have my pity but lack my respect.

Collapse -
Speaking of Grenada and t-shirts (OT)

In reply to: Limited though it was...

I was there a year after the "invasion" as a tourist and bought a t-shirt thanking the US for rescuing Grenada. I used to wear it to the office in NYC which for some reason outraged the liberals there.

Collapse -
ty ed i ordered 1

In reply to: Another way to support the troops...

and ill where it any where i go

Collapse -
I don't think a Canadian will see ya.

In reply to: ty ed i ordered 1

Or any one in any other country.

Should get 2, you can have one in the washer, and wear the other.

Collapse -
why

In reply to: I don't think a Canadian will see ya.

you don't think Canadians support troops?

but I'm just glad your a minority
most Canadians are Honorable.

Collapse -
most Canadians are HonoUrable.

In reply to: why

That's why we wouldn't walk around anywhere (even in Canada) wearing a t-shirt advocating

''Meeting new people and killing them.''

Collapse -
i doubt it

In reply to: most Canadians are HonoUrable.

and Honorable means to support they didnt have large but i bought 1 to frame
but thats ok you win

Collapse -
Troops in Iraq

In reply to: i doubt it

would be glad you advocate meeting New people and Killing them.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) meet thy enemy kill same

In reply to: Troops in Iraq

Collapse -
Yes, most Canadians are honorable...

and many do walk around with such t-shirts (especially those either from or friends of those from Canadian units that came for annual training down her to fort Knox).

Unfortunately you appear to beliong to neither group.

Want me to have one printed up for you that would be appropriate to your status and temperment? Something like "I live under a bridge and exercise by running from BGG."?

Collapse -
down her to fort Knox).

In reply to: Yes, most Canadians are honorable...

"name dropper"?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Enlist! See what you are missing.

In reply to: down her to fort Knox).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) down her to fort Knox...broken English?

Collapse -
More broken English?

Unfortunately you appear to beliong to neither group.

Collapse -
Beyond your already observed and commented on.,,

In reply to: More broken English?

lack of any originality of thought you now want to go on a typo expedition?

Are you sure?

Here is a rather large one of yours http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=193406&messageID=2089027 -- broken concentration?

or this one where you quoted something not stated without mention that you paraphrased? -- http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=193406&messageID=2088802 -- broken grammar book

or this one http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=193406&messageID=2088756 -- colloquial English compounded with improper punctuation

or this one http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=192849&messageID=2084729 -- more broken concentration followed by some bad tap dancing

or ... but why repeat myself as I am sure you get the message -- a BB gun at a gunfight is of less value than a pen knife and you don't seem to have either.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sheesh...you and david copperfield

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Please explain.

In reply to: (NT) sheesh...you and david copperfield

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But Canadians spell funny. ;-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Some of them smell funny too.

In reply to: (NT) But Canadians spell funny. ;-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WHERE did you have YOUR nose?

In reply to: (NT) Some of them smell funny too.

Collapse -
Mark, he didn't bother reading the article or the slideshow

In reply to: why

All he could comment on was one of my other T-Shirts I mentioned and he didn't note that I stole the slogan from some anti-war posters that made the news prior to my initial deployment to Vietnam and had it printed on several T-Shirts that I bought because I had been warned that the green T-shirts were in short supply and they were still issuing white ones which tend to "attract the eye". I simply reworded the slogan a bit as theirs was something like "Travel to strange exotic lands. Meet new people. Kill them."

Few Canadians are like him nor are most Brits. Matter of fact several Brits in Bergen-Hohne asked me to get them some and were tickled pink when they got them.

I really think he is jealous with a wasted life and no experience.

Collapse -
no doubt

In reply to: Mark, he didn't bother reading the article or the slideshow

hes just spoiled by his countrys carrying him on the dole

Collapse -
I'm talking about

In reply to: Mark, he didn't bother reading the article or the slideshow

the message on your t-shirt.

I don't have to read the article or look at the slideshow.

IF you didn't want anyone to talk about your t-shirt, don't talk about your t-shirt.

I probably have never seen your t-shirt message.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.