Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another TOS question.

by C1ay / July 19, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

Can I start 20, 30, 40, more... new discussions at a whack? At what number would it be considered disruptive? What if I spread them out? Could I start 100 or more in a 1 or 2 day period. Is there a limit?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another TOS question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another TOS question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What's stopping you???
by Blake Cook / July 19, 2004 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Another TOS question.
Collapse -
Nothing...
by C1ay / July 19, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

I just thought I'd ask first. OK by you?

Collapse -
I Give You The Green Light...
by Blake Cook / July 19, 2004 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing...
I just thought I'd ask first. OK by you? - Clay

It's OK by me. And if you do post a lot of your views, I won't try to boycott CNET or demand that they remove all of your posts from the past, present, or future. You have as much right to be heard as everyone else in this country and I hope no group is ever allowed to silence you or your views...

I give you the green light to post anything you like, even if it supports your views and doesn't ask to have the same right taken away from those you disagree with...
Collapse -
Re: I Give You The Green Light...
by C1ay / July 20, 2004 12:14 AM PDT

So far the concensus seems to indicate that it would not be considerate of the other forum members....

Collapse -
Precious Gems...
by Blake Cook / July 20, 2004 4:59 AM PDT
So far the concensus seems to indicate that it would not be considerate of the other forum members.... - Clay

Last I knew, SE was an open discussion forum, open to all views. People are encouraged to post their views, experiences, questions, etc. as long as they abide by the CNET TOS. Since there is a wide variety of news and events taking place here and around the world, there should be plenty for all to post. There should be no limit to what people can find and share. So no one should have a shortage of sources to share here in SE...

If everyone posted more often and provided more resources, SE would be an extremely high volume forum that could increase CNET's profits through advertising dollars. Providing a wide variety of news sources proves to increase the volume of traffic to SE, not decrease it. News is not an evil thing, even if there are only a few sharing it. Hopefully others will join in and share more precious gems, not less, which they discover on the net...
Collapse -
Appreciating your posts.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 9:12 AM PDT

Thank you for all your postings. They are informative and offers a view worth reading. No matter how random your postings were, the effort of sharing articles, thoughts, and time is much appreciated. Same goes for others postings even though some of them gives me a hiccups. :)It's all cool. So, keep it up Blake. Bring it on.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'll second that CL!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 27, 2004 6:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
I suppose one could but...
by James Denison / July 19, 2004 7:15 AM PDT

...it might be considered "spamming the boards" or something like that. I open a couple here and then, but I don't think I've ever opened as many as 10 in a day, probably my opening record is around 5 or so in day. Someone does have to start different discussions though, that's for sure. My view on that is if everyone started one or two discussions, this forum would be amply full of discussion each day. I do wonder if one or two start most of the discussions, if it discourages others from doing so, instead choosing to fall back to a reactive mode.

Collapse -
Yeah, If people open new discussions, the old ones ...
by Mosonnow / July 28, 2004 1:29 AM PDT

lose impetus naturally. This might be going against the grain, but new topics for discussion (however many, and however many one chooses to ignore) has to be better than arguing old topics ad infinitum, with associated personal degenerative posts.

I don't think this is quite what you were saying, but this is my view.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I agree!
by xerpor / July 28, 2004 3:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Another TOS question.
by Angeline Booher / July 19, 2004 7:34 AM PDT

Hi, Clay,

This question was alluded to in a thread the other day.

No, there is no limit stated in the TOS as to how many new discussions can be posted by one person. As for spreading them out, I would think - my personal opinion- that this would be a courtesy to the other members. That being said, it could not always be easy to know how long to wait, as our members use ISPs of different speeds, and new replies take a thread to the top of the page. However, a look at the board could help there.

One of our members posted a long line of jokes, and some folks found that annoying. Because of the time zone in which he lives, most of the rest of us were in bed. Happy

In this political era, there are posts and counter-posts galore, which usually draw a lot of traffic. Depending on which side of the aisle one is, some of those are considered by some to be baiting. As they are presented by "both sides" they do not fit the baiting definition, but offer the opportunity to either agree or rebut.

The difference can lie in posts which, from past experience, are known to rile BOTH sides, and are posted with regularity.

In summary, common courtesy would lead a person to not "flood" the board so it would not appear to be an "in your face" attempt. But there is no TOS that specifically addresses that. If it should later be determined by TPTB that it is disruptive or the intention is to disrupt- and it would be their decision- then it might be considered.

Hope this helps.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
One thing about.........
by Glenda / July 19, 2004 8:00 AM PDT

all of these posts by one person, It sure makes my reading in SE go faster:) I really believe, it is just an attempt to flood the board! In most of the posts there have been no replies at all.
But heck if he has the time, more power to him!
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: One thing about.........
by Angeline Booher / July 19, 2004 8:16 AM PDT

Hi, Glenda,

James said about the same thing in his post above. Most don't have the time to open every topic. Some just look for topics that interest them, or posts by people they like to read (or like to debate). Happy

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Mary Kay / July 19, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

Hi Clay, Just don't post War and Peace by sentence. Thank you

Collapse -
by C1ay / July 19, 2004 8:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Oh No !!!! Please, not that !!!!
by Mary Kay / July 19, 2004 9:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
At what number would it be considered disruptive?
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 9:22 AM PDT

I think it is not a matter of numbers, it's a matter of who is posting and perhaps what is being posted that defines a posting to be DISTRUPTIVE to an individual.
:
:
:
:
In my case, I enjoy everyone's postings including yours even though at times I do not agree. Happy

Collapse -
Re: you can.......but.........
by jonah jones / July 19, 2004 1:04 PM PDT

it's a PITA to come to SE and think your reading the news section of yahoo.......

Collapse -
by David Evans / July 27, 2004 5:51 AM PDT

There are TOS provisions that indirectly deal with this sort of trolling, and from all the complaints about this in-your-face disruption it looks like some action might be necessary.

It's a shame, because honorable people don't need a rule requiring them to not disrupt the forum.

But dishonorable trolls will find a way around any rule in order to continue their disruption. And often in an organized fashion. Then when the hammer is lowered, they'll start a 300 post thread whining about how persecuted they are...

I've said for a long time, and I'll say again: the best way to get rid of the trolls is to never, and I mean NEVER, respond to them. No matter whether the post is good or bad, no replies.

I wish that old "extinguishing behavior" thread was on this board.

DE

Collapse -
by Evie / July 27, 2004 5:54 AM PDT
I wish that old "extinguishing behavior" thread was on this board.

Maybe "Bub Hazzard" has it archived and can share it with us Wink

Evie Happy
Collapse -
by John Robie / July 27, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

LOL......you think maybe he got ahold of Ian's mirror computer
Cool
JR

Collapse -
LOL!
by James Denison / July 27, 2004 8:33 AM PDT
Wink
Collapse -
by Dan McC / July 27, 2004 6:16 AM PDT

I think Clay was just asking a question. Perhapes a bit tongue in cheek, but that's ok. It hardly raises to the level of trolling.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bump
by C1ay / July 27, 2004 10:20 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.