Question

Another Thing

Are you able to add something to the tool bar with Windows 7
so that you can clear the desk top of icons and bring up a list
of programs and just click on the program on the list to run it?
I did this with Windows XP but I can't seem to do it with Windows 7.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Another Thing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Another Thing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request

Do you mean the Start>All programs in XP?

- Collapse -
Answer
I searched for this myself, but couldn't find it.

I seem to remember this on my own XP. If I right clicked the Desktop I am sure there was an option to "Hide Desktop Icons", but I can't find it in my Win 7 Ultimate.

There is an option to "Show or hide common icons on the desktop, and you can find that from the Start menu search box by typing in Hide desktop icons.

So the workaround is to use that to remove the common icons, then physically remove all the other desktop shortcut icons yourself, either by deleting them, or moving them to some temporary folder location in case you want them back later.

But as Kees says, if you click the Start menu bubble button, you get the list of all your installed software anyway, so unless you are looking at an empty desktop purely for aesthetic reasons, I am not sure what that achieves.

Mark

- Collapse -
Thanks/Denied Access

Thanks for the replies!!!!
I going to try and figure this out myself.
I have another problem though.
I'm being denied access to my Documents and Settings
folder. How do I fix this????
I am the only USER on this computer so I don't see why
it's denying me access.

- Collapse -
Ahh, a good question and a surprising answer

That's because, in Windows 7, Documents & Settings does not exist!

You may see what looks like a folder for Documents & Settings, and you may also see folders for "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", and so on, by they don't exist either.

Here's the rub. In Windows 7 (and in Vista), those folders do not really exist because all personal files are now in the "USERS" folder, with sub-folders for Documents, Pictures, Music,and so on.

However, a lot of software that we install still works on the older XP method of requiring folders and entries in "Documents & Settings/UserName" folders, and so Windows 7 has created what are called "Junction Points" for those folders which actually points to the Windows 7 User folders. This allows older software to still be installed.

These Junction Points are like shortcuts. They don't hold anything themselves even though it may look like there are files there. But they are shortcuts to the Users folders. That's why you do not have access to them, but you do have access to the Users folders for your account.

Does that help?

Mark

- Collapse -
Some But

This helps explain why but I'm playing a game called Torchlight and the saved game is in the
Documents and Settings folder in Windows XP.
Where would I find this with Windows 7????

- Collapse -
(NT) Try you Users folders
- Collapse -
Access Denied

I tried looking in all the User Folders but every time I click on Applications I get an Access
Denied message.

- Collapse -
Found It

I found it finally!!!!
It was actually in the Users AppData folder and not the Application Folder like
with Windows XP. Thanks so much for the help!!!!
I'm still trying to get use to Windows 7. I'm using my new laptop as a guinea
pig to see if I can run programs that I had no problem running on XP on Windows 7.

- Collapse -
Ahh good work.

I was going to suggest the AppData folder but you beat me to it. Nice work in finding it yourself.

Windows 7 is very different to XP in things like this and it takes some getting used to. Personally I stopped using the My Documents sets of folders when I was using XP, and I use my own created Music, Pictures, Documents, etc folders, so I didn't really have a problem when i switched to Win 7. But even so, I am still getting to know the differences.

Mark

CNET Forums