Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Another 'system restore' issue (or lack of it)

by bigroo / July 6, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

Whenever I try to access system restore (XP SP2) it automatically brings up a dialogue box saying 'system restore encountered a problem and will now close. Thing is it never opens at all.

Can anyone suggest a solution please or an alternative restore program to use.

Thanks in anticipation

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another 'system restore' issue (or lack of it)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another 'system restore' issue (or lack of it)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is...
by jackintucson / July 6, 2005 2:38 AM PDT

happening to prompt the restore? You may have to re-install this option in XP.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
System restore or not!
by bigroo / July 6, 2005 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: What is...

How do I reinstall this option in XP please?

Collapse -
System restore or not
by bigroo / July 6, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: System restore or not!

Nothing prompted this restore, I occasionally used to make restore points and are unable to do so now for some reason.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by bigroo / July 6, 2005 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: try this...

so much for your reply, I'll check it out now.

Collapse -
Restore IT works for me
by pjbealer / July 8, 2005 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: try this...

I gave up on System Restore years ago. Used GoBack until last year. It was failing often like System Restore. Tried Restore IT 6.0 and it has never failed me. It offers many options other than complete restore and like Goback is available before Windows opens. Price is right also, $10 or less if you shop around via Google.

Collapse -
Sys Restore Pts
by glaw11 / July 8, 2005 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: System restore or not

If you reg create restore pts. you may try deleating all but the last known good one.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by bigroo / July 6, 2005 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: System Restore Repair

so much for your reply. I'll check it out now.

Collapse -
System Restore problem
by Darrell M / July 8, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

id suggest going to Trend Mico and use thier online scan to check for any viruses. after it runs and finds the virus, write the name of it down and search it out using the search feature ...i'm pretty sure you'll find that it has infected your system restore to keep you from restoring to a date before it installed itself on your machine,then go to ''Disk Cleanup'' this can be found in ''Programs'', ''accesories'', ''system tools''. Click on the '' More Options'' tab and select the ''remove all but latest system restore points'' ...then you might want to do another search for the virus and kill any files it finds ...except any files that are in your ''win32'' folder.
hope this was helpful
darrell

Collapse -
System restore problem after SP2
by pgoodma / July 8, 2005 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: System Restore problem

I had the same problem after I installed service pack 2. In my case though it also took out IE and Outlook Express, though it left my Netscape alone.

I uninstalled the service pack 2 and everything worked fine. After looking real hard for spyware using several programs one of the anti-spyware packages found ONE bug the other programs weren't finding.

After that was removed SP2 installed fine and Ihad my System Restore and internet programs back.

Collapse -
system restore
by mssnootietootie / July 8, 2005 11:18 AM PDT

well when i had the same problam as you i found that i had a virus in my system that was hard too detect. wondered if you had run a full system scan for viruses?

Collapse -
system restore
by toap / July 8, 2005 2:19 PM PDT

hi bigroo 1st disable system restore on all drives ,reboot computer ,restart system restore make sure its set to about 1 or 2% of your disk space ,it should work ok now , I use [norton go back] instead of system restore which is part of [norton system works]and it works fine for me on win xp pro hope this helps
Toap

Collapse -
System Restore Unreliability
by coolcat71 / July 8, 2005 5:57 PM PDT

I used to have that problem alot too. I got so fed up with system restore not working that I switched to using Go Back. It's much more reliable & rarely let's me down.

Collapse -
Norton Go-Back
by jahan / July 9, 2005 7:26 AM PDT

I'm really surprised to hear people here recommending Go-Back.
Not only did it not do a good job of sys restoring on my computer, it was causing conflicts with other apps. Finding this out was just the beginning of the nightmare. TRY UNINSTALLING IT!!!!
I used to have Norton System works & Norton Internet Security. The more Norton stuff I uninstall, the more stable my system gets. Norton AV subscription runs out in 10 days and it's the last time I'll ever have Norton products on any of my computers.
Does this sound like Norton bashing? It's not supposed to, but I know of 3 other people that have really regretted installing Go-Back.

Collapse -
restore
by djefffs / July 9, 2005 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton Go-Back

the last person is talking rubbish windows restore is a very poor coucon of norton goback windows is rubbish just do a clean up and a defrage with windows and then try and do a restore go back dont have this problom

Collapse -
Do not understand what you said
by 3151jeff / July 10, 2005 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: restore

It all appears to be one sentence, could you break it down? I would like to know what it is you are saying.

Collapse -
I'm glad to see it's not just me
by jahan / July 10, 2005 10:06 AM PDT

This morning, as I do every morning, I boot my computer & read my emails first thing. djefffs post really wasn't the best to read first thing in the morning. I shall be trying to untangle my brain for the rest of the day.
I think he was trying to say I don't know what I'm talking about when I say that Norton Go-Back is bad news. He is entitled to his opinion, but I speak from experience. I probably should have worded it differently, that when I said 3 other people I know also had major problems with Go-Back, I don't know anyone who had it installed and running and didn't have problems with it.

Collapse -
Go Back
by petakench / July 10, 2005 10:44 AM PDT

Ued Go-Back for many years, and loved it, like all software one needs TO READ the instructions. This will save angst, heart ache and general well being.
Not using it now, as I run XP, and I do not have a current version.
PK..

Collapse -
Thanks for the translation
by 3151jeff / July 10, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

I needed that, thanks.

Collapse -
4 Now!
by phantazy / July 25, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

I, also.

Collapse -
go back
by imedward2000 / July 10, 2005 3:05 AM PDT

had same problem with go back and norton,, all are barred from my machine,
imedward2000 (strawman)

Collapse -
Problems with G-oBack
by azadisa / January 27, 2009 4:23 AM PST

Hi Jahan,
I posted something about Norton Go-Back sometime ago and I explained how GoBack rearranges everything in the MBR of your hard drive and basically it messes it up and in many cases it locks you out of your PC. As simple as that. The Symantic people are aware of this problem but they would never admit it. Loading any of their products will let them deep into the Registry and for getting rid of them,you might as well get rid of your PC.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you notice the date of his post? 2005.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Problems with G-oBack
Collapse -
Did you notice
by azadisa / January 28, 2009 12:34 AM PST

Yes I did notice. It took me a year of researching to find out what the problem was before recovering my Hard drive. I am sure there are still people out there looking for the cause and solution for their similar problems. Good Luck to them all.

Collapse -
Go Back - DDO issue
by bigroo / July 25, 2005 3:22 AM PDT

Right, I purchased Go Back as none of the suggestions enabled me to recover my Windows XP System Restore which is still AWOL. I cannot access it at all, more suggestions needed if anyone has any please.

When I tried to install Norton Go Back 4.0, I had the error message: Error 25048: A Disk Drive Overlay (DDO) was found on the boot disk. Norton GoBack does not support DDO on Windows 2000 or XP.

I have a Seagate 60Gb SATA HHD and I guess that has something to do with it. What is this DDO and is it wise to remove or not?

Collapse -
Rstrui.exe
by phantazy / July 25, 2005 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Go Back - DDO issue

What happens if you enter safe mode with command prompt and type 'rstrui.exe'?

Collapse -
Rstrui.exe
by bigroo / July 25, 2005 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Rstrui.exe

What should happen?

Collapse -
** System restore chkdsk and defrag issues resolved **
by bigroo / September 26, 2005 7:28 PM PDT

Right for anyone who is interested this is what I did because no-one offered a solution that helped in anyway, not even Microsoft.

My problem again was that I could not access System Restore anywhere that you should be able to. Also I had a problem in so much as chkdsk or defrag did not work either. Basically my PC was getting clogged up because I could not do any maintenence on it. I did not have to option of F8 on startup to access SAFE MODE either.

Firstly I ran the system configuration utility 'msconfig'and clicked on the Boot.ini tab, then elected for a /SAFEBOOT, this allowed me to access defrag. Then in msconfig again, I chanced upon the diagnostic startup on the General tab. SUCCESS. When I restarted this time the chkdsk screen was running and went through the 5 processes it needs to do. Subsequently it found a file that was causing problems in locking the volume. dirlock.tmp in index $I30. Now all of a sudden I had System Restore again.

It does pay to do a little digging around, I hope this helps anyone who had the nightmare that I had.

Bigroo

Collapse -
Thank you!
by chyning1 / August 24, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

I have been looking to solve this problem for weeks. No one on the other forums I have visited thought to try MSconfig, including myself. I did it in the opposite order though, I checked both the diagnostic start up and booted in safe mode. That allowed the chkdsk to run and then I could defrag with no problem.

Thanks for digging around. You saved me from having to call in reinforcements.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!