Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another Study

by Mac McMullen / March 20, 2006 12:18 AM PST

A scientist from Argentina, after a lengthy study, has determined that people with very low intellect read their computer screens with their hands on the mouse.

[Don't bother taking it off now... it's too late.]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another Study
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another Study
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I never do...
by EdH / March 20, 2006 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Another Study

got my Wacom stylus in hand at all times.

Collapse -
Actually, ***not requesting technical help***, but....
by wwerts / March 20, 2006 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Another Study

I can't use my mouse when I'm online. Bill Gates broke some stuff and so the rear ports of my computer stopped working the moment windows was installed. I have a single USB port on the side that still works, but I can attach either my mouse, or my modem, but not both. I tried getting a USB hub, to turn that one port into 4, but now I get an error message about not enough power, if I try to connect more than one device.

Collapse -
Was the USB hub a powered hub?
by EdH / March 20, 2006 12:49 AM PST

I use a Belkin and it works great.

Could you install an internal modem? They're pretty cheap.

Or, as I suspect, are you just ready for a new PC?

Collapse -
It's a DYNEX
by wwerts / March 20, 2006 12:55 AM PST

can't see anyplace to plug in a power supply, I suppose I could take it apart and see if there's a spot to put a battery; or I could take the computer back to rent-a-center and see if they have a setup cd specifically for whatever stuff is installed in back.

Collapse -
No. Some of them have a power supply...
by EdH / March 20, 2006 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: It's a DYNEX

a transformer that you plug in. I think that kind is superior because some devices won't work on an unpowered USB and some will.

They aren't real expensive. Belkin is a good brand. They have several styles to choose from.

Used to have this problem with a scanner on a Mac, when plugged into a USB port on the keyboard (a nifty feature BTW) it wouldn't work because it wasn't powered.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, my wife's Belkin works just fine
by Dragon / March 20, 2006 7:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Just a thought...
by J. Vega / March 20, 2006 7:28 AM PST

Just a thought. Have you entered your BIOS setup and made sure those ports are turned on? Also, while there, make sure that PNP is selected in type of operating system. Many BIOSes have NO as a default in PNP system. Make that YES then Windows will control the ports.

Collapse -
Are you sure?
by EdH / March 20, 2006 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought...

I've heard that Universal Plug n Play was a security risk and largely useless. Or am I confusing things?

Collapse -
Different thing...
by J. Vega / March 21, 2006 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Are you sure?

I was talking about the BIOS in a computer. The same thing comes up when the BIOS battery fails and you have to replace it - the CMOS defaults to the default values. In all of the computers I have built, there was a BIOS value in the BIOS about operating system whose default was non PNP. Not everybody uses Windows for an OS, so if he just installed it, a possible cure might be to go into the BIOS and set thst value as a PNP system, which basically means "I'm using Windows, let that control things rather than letting the BIOS (CMOS) control things.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Argh! Ignore link.
by EdH / March 21, 2006 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: OK
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.