Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Another Start-up question

In a previous discussion, it was suggested that one should simply un-check the registry startup items that they didn't want to start. Is there a way to simply delete the item from the list?, or do I have to hunt down the file and delete it? I'd rather not delete a file which I may decide to re-introduce to the startup list later. Also - a little tip for other newbies out there. If you want to make changes to the registry, always make a back-up copy before making changes. Here's how: Start / Run / type in regedit / OK / File / Export / Name the file, and choose a location. If problems arise after making changes to the registry, you can restore the previous registry simply by clicking on this backup file. This procedure works for Win XP Home edition - I don't know about other OS's

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another Start-up question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another Start-up question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answer

In reply to: Another Start-up question

Nope, don't think so.
ROger

Collapse -
You need to

find the programs these startup entries refer to, and either check the programs' options/preferences to stop them starting at Startup, or uninstall the programs.

But beware, many of these, (especially on a Win XP machine), are processes that the Windows OS starts, and so they may not be indiviudal 3rd party programs that can be uninstalled.

Mark

Collapse -
Startup.

In a previous discussion, it was suggested that one should simply un-check the registry startup items that they didn't want to start. Is there a way to simply delete the item from the list?, or do I have to hunt down the file and delete it? I'd rather not delete a file which I may decide to re-introduce to the startup list later.

It's not all that simple. Let's start by reading the Known issues section of the MSKB article, "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and icon format handling could allow remote code execution (Q891711)" which by its inherence, it established itself in Startup but may be unchecked to circumvent its use, but the entry is not removed. Some applications however, with options all their own, will continually reestablished themselves on startup in MSCONFIG or elsewhere since that is the way they were written -- you must ascertain what their settings and options are and make a selection within it to circumvent their loading, which by doing so doesn't necessarily remove the check boxes from MSCONFIG either -- but may. FYI:

1. In the recesses of your computer, numerous seemingly invisible processes run silently in the background that may be hogging system resources turning your PC into a sluggish computer, and worse yet, other useless processes harbour spyware and Trojans - violating your privacy and giving hackers free reign on your computer. The System Configuration Utility "MSCONFIG" automates the routine troubleshooting steps to eliminate issues and diagnose system configuration and to easily reset or change configuration settings.

Warning: Before beginning a troubleshooting session, initiate a System Restore operation to create restore points, which can be used to restore a computer to a previous state just in case something goes wrong, [Q306084].

Note: "Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message (Q323209)".

2. Although MSCONFIG is a priceless troubleshooting tool, it's lacking a few features and one or more of the following three applications is suggested:

a. The "Fee" based "Startup Cop", PC Magazine's utility, version 1.01, provides a pretty comprehensive path to where items reside.

b. Written by Mike Lin, the utility "Startup Control Panel" is well worth investigating.

c. "Starter" is yet another free startup manager that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you're doing). Expert users can even add their own entries.

d. Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? "Process Explorer," a standalone utility that may be downloaded and used will show information about which handles and DLLs processes that have been opened or loaded. It does nothing to correct situations for you but should give you thought as to what may be running or open and perhaps help identify the culprit causing a system problem.

Note: The display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the process selected in the top and makes it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work. Shell Extensions are in-process COM objects which extends the abilities of Windows operating system. Most shell extensions are automatically installed by the operating system, but there are also many other applications that install additional shell extension components. For example: If you install WinZip on your computer, you'll see a special WinZip menu when you right-click on a Zip file. This menu is created by adding a shell extension to the system. The "ShellExView utility" utility which you may download and use displays the details of shell extensions installed on your system and allows you to easily disable or enable them until you find the culprit causing the anomaly. I would suggest you concentrate on those listed which are other than M$. I also suggest you view this site information "Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers."

3. Where are and what are those dumb "Startup" tab items, or those strange one which keep coming back?

a. "Pacs-Porta"

b. "Whidbey.com"

c. "3FeetUnder.com"

d. "Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP"

4. Use the registry editor (Regedit.exe) to disable registry entries for startup programs (which usually do not take effect until the computer is restarted) to remove or prevent startup programs from running which you'll find instruction for in the hyperlink "Q179365" contained in reference #6a below, or use the Recovery Console to temporarily move shortcuts from the following folders to another location:

systemdrive\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

systemdrive\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

5. Task List (Tasklist.exe) and Task Kill (Taskkill.exe) are two command-line tools which can also be used to end processes.

a. Task List displays information similar to that displayed by the Task Manager Processes tab. For each process, Task List displays useful information, such as the name of the process, the process identification number (PID), and the amount of memory used.

b. To end a process, run Task Kill by using the process ID or any part of the process name, such as the title of the application window, as a command-line parameter.

c. For more information about Task List and Task Kill, see Windows XP Professional Help and Support Center.

6. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Modify the List of Programs that Run When You Start Windows XP (Q314488)."

b. "HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP (Q316434)."
Collapse -
Deselected items and Oh Boy

the fun ensued. I even looked up the items I deselected to see if it would cause problems. Well, my info. must've been bad as my computer refused to start-up properly. I had to fix with the operation system CD and reboot. What great fun! Especially since I had to get the company to give me a new systems CD(couldn't find mine). Still there is a possibility that my harddrive is going bad as well.
I'm considering my next computer purchase (maybe a Mac). Maybe some computer classes too. Seeing how I'm a moron. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.