Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another "Staged" Hate Crime

Getting to be par for the course. When you can't do enough to get a reaction from others, then just create the appearance of it. "Hey everybody, look at us, we're the victim of a hate crime". At one of them didn't stab the other 221 times like happened with those other lesbians.

"On Oct. 28, Aimee Whitchurch, 37, and Christel Conklin, 29, called
police and reported the words "Kill the Gay" were scrawled in red spray
paint on the garage door of their Parker, Colo., home.
The next day, the couple told deputies they found a noose hanging on the handle of their front door.
The women told officers they believed the incidents were retaliation
from their neighbors and homeowner's association, who had complained the
couple did not pick up after their dogs.
Due to the nature of the crimes, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office
worked in tandem with the FBI to investigate. After reviewing witness
statements, authorities determined Whitchurch and Conklin had staged the
incidents.
Both women are charged with criminal mischief and false reporting. Whitchurch faces an additional charge of forgery."
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another "Staged" Hate Crime
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another "Staged" Hate Crime
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lots of people associate everything with race.

In reply to: Another "Staged" Hate Crime

Even you?

Collapse -
Race?

In reply to: Lots of people associate everything with race.

Foot race?
Car race?
Horse race?
Paint the door quickest race?
Lesbian race to the paint store?
What sort of race???

Collapse -
I don't collect data on staged crimes as you appear to do,

In reply to: Another "Staged" Hate Crime

but there are thousands of real hate crimes out there for every example like this that you can dredge up. Suggest you check the FBI database for figures.

Rob

Collapse -
what do you think

prompts a fake hate crime? Does the concept of "hate" crimes feed that? I just don't think of any crimes being done for "love" of the victim. To me all crime is hateful, disregard for the victim.

Collapse -
RE: To me all crime is hateful

In reply to: what do you think

Here you go

In crime and law, hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, sex, gender identity, social status or political affiliation.[1]

A hate crime is a category used to described bias-motivated violence: "assault, injury, and murder on the basis of certain personal characteristics: different appearance, different color, different nationality, different language, different religion."[2]

"Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts that are seen to have been motivated by bias against one or more of the types above, or of their derivatives. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters (hate mail).[3]

A hate crime law is a law intended to prevent bias-motivated violence. Hate crime laws are distinct from laws against hate speech in that hate crime laws enhance the penalties associated with conduct that is already criminal under other laws, while hate speech laws criminalize speech.

Collapse -
Intention of the law....that's why it's important to

In reply to: RE: To me all crime is hateful

not play a card frivolously so as to lessen its value. Keep in mind that criminals and those who defend them will study law for the purpose of using it rather than obeying it. If a law creates an advantage in certain circumstances, it will be abused. The incident cited in the OP is an example of abuse. Now...because "hate crimes" carry a much heavier penalty than those where some bias is not indicate, how should we handle those who abuse the law in a premeditated way? Shouldn't it carry a greater penalty?...with the intention of that penalty to discourage abuse? When we pave a road with good intentions, it does not mean we don't need to police that stretch of highway any less vigorously.

Collapse -
So we'll have "hateful" crimes, "hate" crimes and

In reply to: Intention of the law....that's why it's important to

a couple other classifications?

Why not just charge the people(the lesbian couple) with the crime they committed AND Perjury?

That would pretty well cover all the bases wouldn't it?... Punishment - Every one who commits perjury is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

14 years should be a fair deterrent.

Collapse -
Frivolous abuse of the law

In reply to: So we'll have "hateful" crimes, "hate" crimes and

I believe there's such a classification when dealing with medical malpractice but I don't know if such is only imposed on lawyers. It should be imposed on the accuser as well. Of course, perhaps this would be better.

from the Hammurabi code

"Any witness who gives false testimony is to be executed."

And here's a version that could be used for training children.

Hammurabi's Code of Laws

And we think ours are harsh? Wink

Collapse -
Addendum....as I forgot to highlight the

In reply to: Frivolous abuse of the law

off quoted phrase from Hammurabi's preamble when used in American and other law. It goes something like

...so that the strong should not harm the weak.

which sounds to me like something you'd favor. Happy

Collapse -
what they did is a form of "false witnessing"

In reply to: So we'll have "hateful" crimes, "hate" crimes and

If there was justice, they'd face the same penalty for their fake crime that would be faced by someone who might have done the same as a crime.

Collapse -
RE: a form of "false witnessing"

In reply to: what they did is a form of "false witnessing"

Yeah...What I said.... Perjury.

Doesn't that word sound Bibley (I just coined that word...it means having to do with the Bible/religion) enough for you?

Collapse -
Perjury means lying under oath. At least in US courts

In reply to: RE: a form of "false witnessing"

It has nothing to do with filing a false crime report.

Collapse -
You give a statement

In reply to: Perjury means lying under oath. At least in US courts

The Police write it down....You read it...You sign it.

Perjury, under New Jersey law, occurs when an individual intentionally makes a false statement under oath. This includes making a false statement in a sworn written document, orally at trial or at a deposition, while giving testimony in a grand jury proceeding, or making false statements to police or authorities.

This includes making a false statement in a sworn written document, orally at trial or at a deposition, while giving testimony in a grand jury proceeding, or making false statements to police or authorities

Collapse -
Ok...ya' got me...sort of :-)

In reply to: You give a statement

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/perjury

Perjury

"A crime that occurs when an individual willfully makes a false statement during a judicial proceeding, after he or she has taken an oath to speak the truth. (underline is mine)

as opposed to "false swearing"

"Some states have created a separate offense for false swearing, while others have enacted perjury statutes to include this type of false statement."

You cited New Jersey law. Folks in New Jersey are known to do lots of swearing...even when they don't really mean it. Devil
Collapse -
which translates to

In reply to: RE: To me all crime is hateful

If one person's child is beaten because they are gay, and his neighbor's child gets beaten just for the heck of it, the person who beat the gay child gets stronger justice applied and the other child's abuser gets off lighter sentence. That's justice? No, that is Legalized Reverse Bias.

Of course that is all against what is natural which means it won't hold long before the backlash grows big enough to overthrow it, and then you end up with a purge to restore a stronger foundation to normalcy again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.