Speakeasy forum

Rant

Another solar plant eating dust

by TONI H / November 7, 2014 5:51 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another solar plant eating dust
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another solar plant eating dust
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The purse strings are closed.
by JP Bill / November 7, 2014 6:52 AM PST

Remember when the Dems used the war as a reason for deficit, and you poo-pooed them....well the shoe is on the other foot.

Collapse -
(NT) What are you talking about?
by TONI H / November 7, 2014 6:55 PM PST
Collapse -
He put on two left shoes
by James Denison / November 8, 2014 12:38 AM PST

I wonder if his socks match? Wink

Collapse -
"we" don't wear socks
by JP Bill / November 8, 2014 1:00 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) I guess I "socked it to" James...no response
by JP Bill / November 8, 2014 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: "we" don't wear socks
Collapse -
the place for solar factories
by James Denison / November 7, 2014 2:11 PM PST

Is to be on the moon. Of course there are places on earth where sunlight is strong and the skies are clear much of the year, but the most efficient use of solar panels are either in space or on the moon. The most valuable cargo in future settlements on the moon will be solar panels, until the Lunatics can began to produce their own.

Collapse -
This might be one of the plants
by Steven Haninger / November 7, 2014 6:33 PM PST

where they're finding dead birds all around it. They fly into the intense beams, burn off their flight feathers and die of starvation on the ground. Windmills also kill large numbers of birds...especially those in migratory paths. For one thing to get clean, something else must get dirty. We need to decide what dirt is tolerable.

Collapse -
windmills
by James Denison / November 8, 2014 12:51 AM PST

the way they build those windmills don't even make a lot of sense. Too wide, and too few blades. I realize they may need to be that high to reach the upper winds which move even while near the ground there's less wind, such as when you see the tops of trees moving in wind you don't feel that much at ground level. I think they could have a stablizing ring around the rim, something like chicken wire across the front but in a rounded shape to shunt off birds, even then they might be injured. Flashing lights around a rim might warn off birds, or even embedded in front edge of current blades. What sort of bird is going to fly at something that looks like that in the sky?! On the tood side though, it usually kills them quickly, and you can always grab some and bring them home for the cats to eat.

Collapse -
If you've seen those windmills, they seem to turn
by Steven Haninger / November 8, 2014 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: windmills

too slowly to be a threat but the blade speed is deceiving. At their optimum wind speed, the blade speeds reach over 100 mph. The blades can also be feathered if it's too windy and will be stopped if there is danger of disintegrating speed. I've traveled past some large wind farms in Indiana and Illinois and the sea of windmills can be an eerie sight that even causes drivers to become distracted wobble all over the road. Large birds of prey can see the pylons as potential perches from which to overlook the farm fields for food. When they fly, they stay fairly focused on where they are going and don't always pay attention to their periphery. If you've seen their behavior, they move their heads about to judge distance. They're not looking out for the blades because they've never encountered them until recently. Of course, one encounter ends their contribution to the gene pool that could pass on learned behavior. I'm not campaigning against wind farms...just noting that there's always a need to be aware of a potential downside when we try something new. If the kill rate is justified and doesn't reverberate negatively throughout the ecosystem, so be it. We'll know eventually.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!