Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another Republican tries to hinder voting -- OH this time

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 6, 2004 9:41 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another Republican tries to hinder voting -- OH this time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another Republican tries to hinder voting -- OH this time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey Dave, how about the Dems blocking Nader with
by Kiddpeat / October 6, 2004 10:18 AM PDT

their legions of trial lawyers? I'm still waiting for you to condemn that instead of trying to point fingers at the GOP.

Collapse -
Re: More on the Ohio voting standards debacle.
Recounting procedural concerns before Election Day.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

Ohio vote directions leave many confused; Poll, registration rules bring barrage of criticism, fears of a Florida repeat.

What part of the language in the "Help America Vote Act" is unclear: "such individual shall be permitted to cast a provisional ballot as follows..." The Ohio Secdretary of State (a Republican) says, in direct opposition to the law, that provisional voting will not be allowed, but voters are to be directed to the proper polling place. Since there were 100,000 provisional ballots cast (and most counted) in OH in 2000, the disenfranchising effect should obvious.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
Why assign polling places............
by Mac McMullen / October 10, 2004 3:20 PM PDT

...if people aren't expected to use them. Assigned
polling places are those closest to the individual's
address to start with, and intended to spread the load on election day.

The law was intended to account for those who showed up
at the assigned polling place but whose names were not on
the registration lists provided to that site, and those
who might have changed residence location since registration.
Polling place workers can certainly determine the proper
polling place, at the moment, for a voter, dependent
upon the current address. Of course, this might be
further frustrated by someone showing up with nothing
to show/prove current address. And the idiots and
troublemakers are plentifull.

How many of the 100,000 provisional ballots were for
people who went to the wrong site, but whose names were
included on the list at the correct site.

Seems to me that going to the wrong site could be a
deliberate effort by individuals, or a party, to thwart
or otherwise frustrate an election.

Certainly not disenfranchising to expect people to
follow the scheme and or be directed to their assigned
polling place.

Collapse -
What if the last polling place was...
by James Denison / October 10, 2004 3:35 PM PDT

...100 miles away, another town in that state? How is different than being across the county? I'd say a big difference. Yet the person still living in the same county has a good chance of voting, at his prior location since he failed to update his voting registration, but the person now several counties over probably will miss giving his vote. Personally, I think it should be up to the voter to insure he's taken care of that, it's his responsibility that travels alongside his right. He could have ordered absentee ballot, or have transferred his voter registration to the new county.

What are provisional ballots? Can the providing of absentee ballots be considered as satisfying an requirements for provisional ballets?

Collapse -
It's those situations, James
by Mac McMullen / October 10, 2004 5:48 PM PDT

...that I was talking about when I said the polling place
worker can determine the correct polling place. It would
be unreasonable to send the voter to a polling place many
miles away, and the provisional ballot comes into play.

Sending a person to the correct polling place within a
reasonable distance should not be considered a major
inconvenience is all part of educating the voter.

Of course, honest inattention in determining the assigned
voting place, and the immediate frustration when told you
are at the wrong place, might kick in for the person who
felt indifferent about voting in the first place, and a
vote will not be cast. And then there are those among
us who are prone to make all the noise they possibly can
in these situations. Such is life.

Collapse -
What a hoot Dave
by C1ay / October 10, 2004 9:50 PM PDT

The Election Chief tries to remind everyone of EXISTING state laws and Democrats like you try to claim he's done something wrong. Are you gonna complain when he enforces those laws too? What's the point in even having the laws when people like you are going to complain that they don't favor your opinion?

Collapse -
Ok Dave, let's see
by Brian S. / October 11, 2004 2:24 AM PDT

The Election chief wants voters to vote at the correct polling place. You somehow see this as trying to hinder Democrats from voting. You know what this tells me?
-You believe that democrats are too stupid to know where to vote.

Collapse -
I never quite thought of it that way before...
by James Denison / October 11, 2004 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok Dave, let's see

...but thinking back to Florida, in Miami and West Palm Beach, I can see your point. Didn't Al Franken's mother end up voting for Pat Buchanan?

Collapse -
Re: I never quite thought of it that way before...
by C1ay / October 11, 2004 6:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Awrite, quit pickin on Dave........
by Mac McMullen / October 11, 2004 7:17 AM PDT

He's just one more unfortunate individual who's been made
a prisoner by his own self deception.

Collapse -
Re: Ok Dave, let's see
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 11, 2004 1:01 PM PDT

Hi, Brian.

The problem comes when polling places are changed, or people move from one precinct (or even town) to another. And it does affect lower income voters more than middle to upper income, because the lower income voters are more likely to be on a time clock and more likely to rely on public transportation.

BTW, what's the rationale these days for the month-long delay that texas, Ohio, and many other states place on registration? The same delay applies to changing registration after a move, btw. Back in the days of paper cards and snail-mail, I can see it, but in the computerized era, there's no excuse for having much more than a week's lag between the registration deadline and election day. There's no delay for checks now -- a month for registration is unconscionable! BTW, in many states that lag also disenfranchises those who turn 18 less than a month before election day -- they're eligible, but can't register, a real Catch-22.

Collapse -
by C1ay / October 11, 2004 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ok Dave, let's see
Collapse -
Re: Ok Dave, let's see IGNORING my point, Clay
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 11, 2004 11:23 PM PDT

Many times it's IMPOSSIBLE for someone to register in the new precinct because of the out-of-date lag between election day and the registration deadline.

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / October 12, 2004 12:23 AM PDT

Hi Dave,

I'm guessing that the delays are not so much due to computer issues as maybe residency requirements. I was able to register to vote at the same time I got my NC driver license. No biggie. I don't see any tempest in your teapot.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
by Roger NC / October 12, 2004 12:28 AM PDT
I was able to register to vote at the same time I got my NC driver license.

Actually when my wife got her NC driver license (finally, it was a real hassle to find something to "prove" she lived at my address) they asked her, and everyone that came in while we were there if they were registered to vote and/or wished to do so.

Of course, many people never bother to get new driver licenses when they move, or change the address on the car registration etc, untill the old licenses or tags run out. Even if I move down the street a block, I'm suppose to do both, with a fee to pay for each of course. So some don't because of that I bet, and some don't because of laziness, and some don't because of both.

I bet most who don't fail to do so because (like I have a tendacy to do) they keep intending to do it next week. Wink I can do next week for a year, no problem.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Let's see...
by dirtyrich / October 11, 2004 7:54 AM PDT

Reminding voting boards about the laws prior to the election to better clarify and work out issues BEFORE the election...

VS

Preventing a candidate from running in a state to force voters to vote for your candidate instead.

Collapse -
Re: Another Republican/Here in Columbus, O
by Steven Haninger / October 11, 2004 8:56 AM PDT

Ken Blackwell is doing his own commercials giving instruction to the public on how to ensure that your vote is going to count. He even adds a little humor and there's a scene with a voter cleaning off incomplete punches while Mr. Blackwell admonishes to make sure there is no "Florida hanging chad". Well, some in Fla. might be mildly offended at the remark. I, for one, am glad to see an attempt to inform voters about how to make the election day process go smoother and avoid problems. There will be lots of first timers this year who will walk out the door and have no clue where to go. From what I see of Ken Blackwell on my TV, he's doing his job well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?