Linux forum

General discussion

Another problem with LINUX..

by dansar99 / February 21, 2010 9:23 AM PST

the Vonage phone system doesn't work well either. I rarely use the phone but my wife and stepdaughter do. They told me that the people that they were talking to were complaining that the connection kept cutting in and out,same as the streaming radio buffering often problem I have. I did some testing between windows xp and linux. Sure enough,everything worked perfect on XP and miserably when using linux on my dual boot system. I tried disconnecting the netgear rangemax router and used the phone straight thru the cable modem and it was still terrible thru Linux. I unhooked the vonage adapter and listened to the radio stream which played pretty good for the limited time I listened. So I'm thinking that the vonage system is probably the culprit not playing nice with linux. Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another problem with LINUX..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another problem with LINUX..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just looking for some knowledge;
by ahtoi / February 21, 2010 2:41 PM PST

I thought Vonage connections directly to the router (not through any OS). Am I not correct?

Collapse -
you're right...the phone problem..
by dansar99 / February 21, 2010 10:31 PM PST

shouldn't have anything to do with the OS. The problem still exists when I eliminate the router so it is either the vonage adapter or the cable modem. I rent my cable modem, maybe I should look into buying one or try to get Vonage to send me another adapter. Dan

Collapse -
A friend of our also has that problem;
by ahtoi / February 22, 2010 1:05 AM PST

Personally I think it's just broadband traffic jam. His problem only occur in the evening hours; it sounded great in the morning hour. Yours the same?

Collapse -
it is..
by dansar99 / February 22, 2010 1:24 AM PST

good at times and awful at other times. If it is a broadband traffic jam then Vonage isn't very good. Dan

Collapse -
The sad facts are ...
by ahtoi / February 22, 2010 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: it is..

that Vonage depends on your broadband, and they have no control of that.

Collapse -
Perhaps
by R_Head / February 22, 2010 1:14 AM PST

Is the ISP. If you use Cable, sometimes when you use a Splitter it will degrade the signal enough. I had some like that on my house. When I bought it, the previous owner had good intentions on adding Cable Jacks to all rooms to the point that he used the splitters everywhere. My Brother works for Verizon and he told me that each time you use a splitter you divide the signal strength (measured on Decibels) in half. Even if you do not use the other end. So if you daisy chain a lot of them, you get pretty much nothing at the end. If you use a splitter with 5 hook ups, you get 1/4 on each output hook ups.

Check if you have that case and eliminate splitters.

A Linux machine can co-exist in the same network with Vonage. I use Skype all the time without any issues. Another is the protocol setups. Like SAP (Service Advertisement Protocol) too many services chatting in your NAT can create a lot of packet collisions.

The other is a Bandwith hugger. Is anybody using aMule, Limewire Torrents, Netflix and such? When you have a lot of systems eating the bandwith that will slowdown your network and on streaming audio/video becomes choppy.

Collapse -
I had..
by dansar99 / February 22, 2010 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps

already removed the splitter that was there in case my DirecTV went out. I could then hook up Comcast cable to the TV. That didn't help the phone issue. Dan

Collapse -
As splitter goes, what your brother says is true...
by ahtoi / February 22, 2010 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps

when you talk about passive splitter (not powered one).

Collapse -
Passive
by R_Head / February 23, 2010 2:54 AM PST

Splitter types. Some are like amplifiers but the most common ones are the passives.

Collapse -
Another problem......
by out_fisherman / February 25, 2010 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Passive

So really - this post is mis-titled ?
Sounds like the problem is NOT with Linux ????
Sorry....just trying to clear up the post.....

Collapse -
well..
by dansar99 / February 25, 2010 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Another problem......

I'm still not exactly sure if Linux is the problem with the vonage system. Probably not, but the phone did work better when I switched to XP. The streaming audio is a Linux problem. Some websites that stream audio (ESPN Radio) buffer frequently while they never buffer using the XP OS on this dual boot machine. Dan

Collapse -
Check
by R_Head / February 26, 2010 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: well..

for torrent software.

I have at home 6 computers running Linux, one is a server and I can stream video from Netflix to my PS3 and use Skype with Video at the same time.

I push my NAT pretty hard Grin

Collapse -
I dont know...
by dansar99 / February 26, 2010 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Check

what Skype is. I get my netflix in the mail and I could do w/o that but apparently there isn't enough murder and horror shows on Directv that she can watch or record. grrr. Dan

Collapse -
oops..
by dansar99 / February 26, 2010 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: I dont know...

by "she" I meant my 21 yr old unemployed stepdaughter. Dan

Collapse -
Google
by R_Head / February 26, 2010 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: I dont know...

Skype, you will see.

In short, is a way of communicating around the world for free with video as long is from Computer to Computer. From Computer to Phone and back you pay by the minute but is pretty dirt cheap. Is called Skype In and Skype Out.

I used it in Iraq many years ago, works great!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?