PC Hardware forum

General discussion

another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?

as I ponder buying a printer (for printing sheet msuic and pdf's thereof), i am wondering if I am going to see any real benefit from a 1200 as opposed to a 600 dpi printer. any insights folks? -- fj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?

In reply to: another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?

I'll say "yes." It was readily apparent as we moved from 300 DPI lasers to 600 and finally to 1200 DPI laser printers. In that case we could put the mug shots on the warrants and the clarity was needed.

In "color" work, you don't need as much dots, but more colors. But for B/W such as music sheets, DOTS RULE.

And what really can make/break all those dots is the PAPER. I can make 1200 DPI output look bad and 300 DPI look great by selecting which paper goes to which machine.

Welcome to the Guild of Pressman.

Bob

Collapse -
can you suggest paper to get?

hey robert-

interesting. I got an HP 1012. has 600 dpi with some sort of simulated 1200 which i do not understand.

anyway, can you give some guidance about what paper to buy for printing sheet music that will look better than this not-so-hot copy paper i got at staples? hopefully not photo paper? Happy thanks! fj

Collapse -
Re:can you suggest paper to get?

In reply to: can you suggest paper to get?

There are papers specifically optimized for laser printing and some for ink jet. Others are just generic copy machine paper. If you are interested in producing a quality product yourself, you will need to use quality materials. Both HP an HammerMill make papers which specify their intent to be used on laser printers. I prefer 24lb as a minimum. If you examine the surface of laser papers versus others, you can see something about the sheen and lack of visible texture in them. This must enhance their apparent sharpness compared to inkjets which rely somewhat on absorbsion characteristics. Laser toners are fused with heat on top of the paper rather than be absorbed into the paper fibers as are inks. It makes sense when you think about it. Watch for the sale prices and promos and stock up when you can.

Collapse -
Re:another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?

In reply to: another printer question: any real need for 1200 vs 600 dpi?

600dpi fill about any need you should get into. Of course if your picky or get into specific needs like CAD or such, then 1200 is better, but some printers use a "rastering" to smooth the jaggies into better output. The scheme like from HP is firmware driven, maybe s/w too, but Canon better models offer the same to get 1200dpi effects as well as others, so *read* the specs to find out how they arrive at dpi rating, but most modern printers are 600dpi capable at least.
Your old HPIII was default at 300dpi.

good luck -----Willy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.