Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Another Plishing attempt

by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 7:06 AM PST

I received this same e-mail on 3 differents e-mail accounts today, one of which I NEVER have gotten ANY kind of spam but regardless, I have not ever seen this particular one before. It is from a bank (supposedly) that I do NOT, nor have EVER used and resembles the e-mails that are supposedly from CitBank, PayPal, etc. I'm just going to paste the beginning of it. I'm NOT going to post the bogus URL that is in it. I just want to make people aware of a new one (New to me anyway).

Dear SunTrust Bank Customer

To provide our customers the most effective and secure online access to their accounts, we are continually upgrading our online services. As we add new features and enhancements to our service, there are certain browser versions, which will not support these system upgrades. As many customers already know, Microsoft Internet Explorer has significant 'holes' or vulnerabilities that virus creators can easily take advantage of.

In order to further protect your account, we have introduced some new important security standards and browser requirements. SunTrust security systems require that you test your browser now to see if it meets the requirements for SunTrust Internet Banking.

It goes on from there with another paragraph and a link. This e-mail looks like it is legit (It's not) so PLEASE do NOT ever fall for anything like this. NO reputable company will ask you for information like this in an e-mail. I also saw someone is the Newbies Forum get plished by something similiar via an Instant Messenger yesterday so please be careful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another Plishing attempt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another Plishing attempt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Another Plishing attempt
by mspeach / November 26, 2004 7:27 AM PST

I recieved that same e-mail last week and I called the Sun Bank and was informed that it is definately a hoax.
No bank will ever ask you to send that kind of info over the net.

mspeach

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 26, 2004 7:29 AM PST

Good evening and thank you roddy..Does Sun Trust Know about this? Lot of people i am sure will fall for that one,sure sounds like the real thing..So Sad people do these things!

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 7:34 AM PST

Hi Sumer
mspeach posted that same time as you and called the bank and they knew about it. BTW Did you notice that I learned out to spell "plish" finally? Grin

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 26, 2004 9:56 AM PST

Good evening roddy..Yes i surely did notice that..Proud of you too!!.. *smiles*
Sylvie.

Collapse -
Thanks Roddy...
by glenn30 / November 26, 2004 7:29 AM PST

I received that same phlishing attempt about 10 days ago using the same bank name. Like you I never had any dealings with that bank and it never got beyond MailWasher. Angry

Thanks for pointing this out and reminding others of the attempted scam.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Thanks Roddy...
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Roddy...

You are welcome Glenn and I plan on warning people occasionally about this simply because there are newbies everyday that unfortunately usually find out the hard way. Sad

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Thanks Roddy...

I noticed!!

About your spelling...... Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Thanks Roddy...

I learn by my mistakes which is why I have become good at doing certains things Mark. I have made MANY mistakes. LOL Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!