Desktops forum

General discussion

Another "New Desktop Purchase"-Comments?

by Ronhawk / May 28, 2009 1:25 AM PDT

Hi
I am going to purchase a new desktop to replace current six-year-old Dell Dimension 8250. I am a senior and this will probably be my last comuter. I am only a general user but want the most "bang for the buck" PC. I am strongly considering an Acer Aspire X3200-ED5600A or Acer Aspire X1700-U3700A(I think these are almost the same machine but believe I can purchase the 3200 a little cheaper-it looks as though the major differences are the Graphics Controllers: the 3200 uses the NVIDIAGeForce8200 and the 1700 uses the NVIDIA GeForce G100 and the Processors: the 3200 uses AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 2.9 GHz dual core and the 1700 uses the Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.4 GHz Any significant differences?
Common Components
Storage Controller: Serial ATA-300
Op. Storage: DVD RW/DVD-RAM
Ram: 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Cache Mem.: 1 MB L2 Cache
Small Form Factor
Hard Drive: 640 GB
Audio Output: 5.1 channel surround

The 3200 would cost about $415 online with free shipping and the 1700 would cost about $480
Thoughts on Acer/configuration? The compact space of these is a factor and I do not upgrade components so the lack of upgradeability is not a factor.

Regards
Ronhawk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another "New Desktop Purchase"-Comments?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another "New Desktop Purchase"-Comments?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No need to start a new thread to propose another alternative
by VAPCMD / May 28, 2009 1:26 PM PDT

Recommendation still same..SFF is a poor choice for system longevity and reliability. Too much heat in too small a space and not many ways to efficiently eliminate it. SFF severely limits HW options ...HS Fans, GPUs, PSUs, etc., in the event of component failure beyond warranty.

VAPCMD

PS...I'm not far behind you age wise but wouldn't consider SFF unless I needed portability. The smallest I buy for anything is a mid tower with plenty of drives bays for drive spacing/separation, cooling and ease of access in the event I need to repair or replace a component.

Collapse -
Sorry, first-time poster and not familiar with categories
by Ronhawk / May 29, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

VAPCD
The first post was probably not in the most appropriate catgegory and since I didn't know how to transfer it to this category I re-posted it.
I do like the idea of the tower sitting on top of the desk instead of underneath it but can see your point in minimizing potential problems. Can you give me some examples of mid-towers to get me started? I did see a full-size desktop that seemed to have everything I would want-Gateway DX 4720-03, NVIDIA GeForce7100, DVDRW/DVD-RAM w/Labelflash, 4GB RAM(8GB max)DDR2-800MHz PC2-6400, Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Pen. Dual Core E5200 2.5 GHz, 640 HDD, Fax/Modem-56Kbps, 7.1 channel surround. Opinion?
Dell is also having some good prices on their budget pc's.
Ronhawk

Collapse -
(NT) Not a problem ..what's intended use and what's the budget ?
by VAPCMD / May 31, 2009 2:14 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?