9 total posts
What I find with this story,
Is the usual. I take one of the bad machines and update the BIOS then go get the drivers for CHIPSET (always do this first) then the Ethernet and install those in that order. I find a lot of IT staffers have not lived with Windows long enough to know driver swamp rides like this.
If this fails we pop in PCI or PCIe network cards and move them out. Only the newest IT will spend more time on this.
I'd considered the add-in card option
as a last resort until I brought one of the PCs into my home and, try as I may, I cannot get it to misbehave. The machines are already at the latest Intel BIOS and the Intel drivers are also current. The board, however, was not supported past Windows 8.X by Intel. I was surprised that MS insisted it was a candidate for Windows 10 and hounded the new tech coordinator to allow the upgrade. The rest is just bad history. Thanks for the thoughts. I may try a new NIC if no one has a magic cure. This all seems to have happened currently with the recent MS updates and, maybe if enough complaints, MS will fix it. Thanks
That's the strange part
When it's working, the device is recognized as an 82579V with an Intel driver. When it's not working, it's an 82579LM with a driver from MS. I'm of the impression that the LM was for laptop and mobile devices but I could be wrong. The latest 22.10 driver is what I installed. It's strange, however, that drivers with a higher rev. # such as 22.7 are actually earlier drivers. I've tried several with the same effect. As for DHCP reservation, I don't know. The first 50 addresses are reserved for static use but these PCs are set to the request an IP. But, I don't know that they even get to that point if the device, as the message will say, cannot start and that it does not exist. What I may try, if opportunity presents, is to just do a network reset on all of these. I don't have Win10 so am not that comfortable with it yet. I'd hate buy new NICs and find this to be something external to the PCs but I cannot explain why the one I brought home acts differently here than there. Cave people didn't have it so bad.
MS drivers are not great to see.
Boot safe mode to see if you can uninstall that version. In a pinch I've had to note the files and manually nuke them.
Done that through device manager but not safe mode
The other oddity is that, when this happens and I run ipconfig /all, I get no host information whatsoever. If I try to ping the router at it's known address, I get zero lines of information about any attempt being made. To me, this sounds more like a hosed device or driver issue but I'm at a loss as to why it works so well in my home. There are plenty of other PCs in the school used by teachers and I know of no connectivity complaints by them. They'd be the first to holler. There is also a Lenovo brand "Think Station" in the lab with a similar Intel network device that gives no trouble. Thus far, this issue is only seen with the ones using the Intel DH61CR MB so this issue defies all conventional logic. There had been issues with connectivity a while back when devices could not get an IP address due to none being available. That was resolved by trimming the lease times from 24 hours to 30 minutes. The school does have enough devices to push the IP address limit but most of these are such as iPads and Chromebooks which are in carts. Since I was there yesterday (Sunday) when no classes were being held, the idea of there being a shortage of IP addresses goes out the window. When my wife retired as the tech coordinator there, I warned the new person to continue the fight with the Windows 10 nags and don't let the devil enter. I advised to only do this when it was time to buy new PCs. Stuff happens.
A network card is usually the fix for this.
If you can't get the drivers under control (all covered in Microsoft training which I can't replace here) then get a NIC, test and deploy.
Finally, a possible solution
After failing to fix this after many hours of trying, I replaced all of the on-board Intel network devices with Realtek add-in cards. This took care of it in the computer lab. Later, I had the same issue show up in a classroom. The OS had become corrupt and I needed to do a complete reset of Win10 to resolve it. But, in the process, I'd also updated the BIOS which seemed a good idea as the previous BIOS was only to support to up Win7. Within a few days, this PC began exhibiting the same problem as the previous ones in that, after turning it off and back on, the Intel network device was misidentified and would not function. I had already turned off, through group policy editor, the function which allowed MS to update drivers but it must have been too late. What has worked so far is to turn turn off Windows 10 "fast startup" feature and disable it's ability to turn off the network device to save power (through power management utility). I could easily reproduce this problem. All was OK with a warm boot but a cold boot messed up and loaded the wrong driver for the network device. FWIW, that device was the Intel-8259V which was being identified as the 8259LM.
This is a bit late coming but hope it helps someone.