Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Another my computer crashed problem

by ShellBell7 / October 8, 2009 11:02 AM PDT

I have a Dell XP.

So the other night I was reading a blog that I visit daily when I noticed what seemed like Adobe trying to open. Then BSOD. It read:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time....

Tech Info:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804DC11D)"

So I rebooted and got the same message except this time the Tech Info started with 0x00000007. Rebooted again to go to Safe Mode. Tried all 3 different safe modes and the option to restart at an earlier point but they all took me to the BSOD.

The only other strange thing is that when I try powering down the computer it starts up again; I had to literally pull the plug to stop it.

1- does this sound like a hardware problem or a software problem?
2- I'm worried about recovering my data. I've read that I can make my hard drive a slave on another computer and back-up my own files from there.
2.1- can this be done using a notebook?
2.2- can I do this on my old computer running ME?
3- when talking about recovering data does that only mean stuff in my documents or can it also be stuff on my desktop (I have a bad habit of keeping things I'm currently working on, there, until I move them).
4- how do I find a legit computer tech company - I only know of GeekSquad.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another my computer crashed problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another my computer crashed problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the boolean solution
by Porch-a-Geese / October 8, 2009 11:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Error
by ShellBell7 / October 8, 2009 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: the boolean solution

Strangely I never thought to Google that but I Googled the 0x00...

That stuff on BIOS is like a foreign language to me. So if the defected item gets replaced, can the computer run like normal without effecting my data?

Collapse -
Data and BIOS are separate parts of the box.
by Porch-a-Geese / October 9, 2009 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Error

The drive can be taken out, put into another box, mounted with a live cd, and copied over onto a usb drive. It can also be "ghosted" this way with dd.
Have a professional replace the broken part.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.