Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Another Major Utility

by BeachBum24x7 / September 4, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

This response is a combination of my original response to whether to install Windows XP SP2 or not and PKlammer's response to the same issue. Seems SP2 is affecting more than one "image" utility.

My orignal response:

I originally offered a response to the Windows XP SP2 issue:

What happened to Paint?

Hoorah for all the positive pushers of SP2, but am i the only person experiencing the destruction of the Paint program over the past few years? Or is Paint a program of enough priority for Microsoft to even bother with? But, then again, if one doesn't use the program for graphics work, he/she wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about. So, I'll say ahead of time, if you're reading this and don't use the program, I'll be polite enough to suggest not to waste your time reading any further.

Please bear with me and allow me to present a little history of the gradual destuction of Paint and then I'll get to the point about SP2.

Up to Windows 98SE Paint was cool. Then XP enters the scene and thus the beginning of Paint destruction. The specific problem I am referring to happens when for example one begins editing a picture by using whatever tools of their choosing to basically trim/erase the backgound around an object in the picture, leaving the background around the object white, with plans of copying and pasting the said object onto another picture. All goes well if one has time to trim the object, copy and paste the object onto another background before the final work is saved. But, heaven forbid one spends quite a bit of time trimming an object but doesn't have time to finish by copying and pasting to another background before the original trim job is saved. If one has to save the "trimmed" file (with white or "erased" background around the object) before copying and pasting to another background XP has a marvelous (said with cynical tone) way of destroying one's laborious and tedious work. If the file is saved so one can come back to it later, when opened to continue the original project, one will find varied amounts of "new" and distorted pixels added to the once white background, thus basically having to retrim from scratch.

OK, that's problem enough in XP itself, now the SP2 issue. SP1 seems safe enough to install (with regards to the Paint program). Not saying it fixes the aforementioned Paint problem, just doesn't make it any worse than it already is. But, OK, here it is...the moment everyone has been waiting on (for me to finally get to the point). Once SP2 has been installed...Paint totally loses it's mind. It's hard for me to remember the exact details of what occurred when i first attempted to install SP2. It's been quite a while. I'll say this...it was so traumatic on the Paint program I have NEVER bothered to use SP2 again...EVER. After doing quite a bit of tedious work on several pictures, then saving them...the trouble began. I would go to the folder where the completed work had "supposedly" been saved and it wouldn't show it there. I could go to the original pictures (which were "supposedly" not changed after the trim work etc., because (yes) I saved the completed work under a different file name) and guess what?...the original picture was gone and was saved as the edited file. Ouch!!!...which would mean if I had edited every picture I had, I would have lost EVERY original!!!

OK...that's my testimonial...so those of you who are fond of SP2...who probably haven't experienced what I did...install it all you want...lol...

Tim Stallings

But, now I pose it as a question. And if someone's answer is "Try installing Paint from 98SE or use a 3rd party program", that is merely like swapping parts, not "root cause analysis", which is getting to the source (root cause) of the real problem. I am fairly certain I'm not the only person that has run onto this problem. Seems it would have been resolved by now because I feel Paint is a fairly major utility of Windows (some may niot agree, but then again they probably don't do graphics work).

PKlammer's response:

SP2 killed a major utility
Vcom's CDanywhere was a major utility in my book.

After SP2, CDanywhere could no longer mount my CD images. Pleas for help to Vcom and to Microsoft were unsympathetically dissed.

I had to start over my virtual CD library from scratch with new, different software. So maybe SP2 cost me as much as it might have saved.

Per www.V-Com.com :::

After initial testing, we have found that XP SP2 is having compatibility issues with CD Anywhere 2.60. SP2 is somehow interfering with CD Anywhere from accessing the images in the virtual drive. Were not sure if it is directly affecting the virtual drive or the image at this time. The only thing we have found that works are audio images, but these audio images need to have been created after the install of SP2. If the image was created before SP2's install, they will need to be re-created.

We do not currently know if Microsoft will create a fix for XP SP2 to resolve the issue, or if CD Anywhere can be modified to address the new limitations in XP SP2. Because of these issues, we have reluctantly decide to stop sales of CD Anywhere. We will update this page if we find a solution to the XP SP2 problems

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another Major Utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another Major Utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?