Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another icon falls ...

by Bill Osler / December 11, 2009 10:26 PM PST

I like to travel, and I enjoy seeing new places. Something I always thought might be fun was traveling through Europe on the Orient Express. Alas, I've missed my chance.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121365224&ft=1&f=1001
The train was the scene of many adventures ? both real and imagined ? in its 126-year history. Steves says a murder occurred aboard the Orient Express in 1929 while the train was stuck in a snowstorm about 70 miles outside Istanbul. That crime inspired Christie's famous mystery novel, Murder on the Orient Express. Christie even traveled to Istanbul while writing the book.

That kind of romance fuels nostalgia for the golden era of train travel, Steves says, the days when people would spend two days on a train to get from Paris to Turkey.

A trip that now costs just $40 and a few hours on a budget European airline. That's an amazing thing, Steves says. "I mean, kids are flying off to another country just to have lunch with their friends, and the glamour and class of train travel has changed quite a bit."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another icon falls ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another icon falls ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and just today i read this
by jonah jones / December 11, 2009 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Another icon falls ...
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/waken-the-sleeper-20091211-knss.html

Amtrak's Sunset Limited, a double-decker, silver leviathan that thunders from New Orleans in Louisiana across the southern rim of the US to Los Angeles, on the California coast.

The Sunset takes about 46 hours to travel 3210 kilometres through two nights and three time zones. It's one of the oldest and most famous train rides in the country and of all the ways to cross this deeply divided nation, it is undoubtedly the most democratic.

==================

friends rode the Orient Express a few years back while on sabbatical, the said it was the hilight of the whole 2 years around the world

Collapse -
No wonder...
by J. Vega / December 13, 2009 2:59 AM PST

No wonder some people in other countries sometimes get a distorted picture of the U.S. after reading articles like that. That author seemed to have an anti-U.S.viewpoint in my opinion.

Collapse -
i didn't see it as distorted
by jonah jones / December 13, 2009 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: No wonder...

more a different "demographic" slice

definitely not enough to send me postal Happy

Collapse -
Postal...
by J. Vega / December 13, 2009 3:50 AM PST

Didn't send me postal either, I just noticed a bias. Example from the story: "In fact, he usually walks away if he sees a police officer; says he's heard of too many unprovoked shootings of black people like himself and he has no intention of becoming another statistic.".

Collapse -
It is cheaper
by Angeline Booher / December 12, 2009 2:51 AM PST

...... for my Irish cousins to fly to Paris to buy a camera than it is to buy that camera in Ireland.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
found what I was looking for.
by James Denison / December 12, 2009 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Ireland
Collapse -
I did not have the pleasure
by Angeline Booher / December 13, 2009 6:15 AM PST

....... fo the Orient Express experience.

But the European trains I have ridden were quite pleasant. And cheap. We bought tourist ticket packages god for trains and buses (+ tubes in England). Certainly an economical way to get around.

Of course, they are able to have a good rail system because of the shorter distances. From what I saw, the public supports it by being passengers. as well.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!