General discussion

Another home lone default

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Another home lone default
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Another home lone default
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I wonder what attracts the snakes? Our summer property

was originally a farm with a classic outdoor well and pump which wasn't our source of water. Garter snakes would hibernate in that i guess dry well and come out by the dozen every spring, but they headed off into the 40 acres surrounding the house and despite a rubble foundation, we never had snake problems inside.

Maybe they need a dry well as far from the house as possible, and a sprayfoam insulation barrier if the house has a basement.

Rob

- Collapse -
(NT) Snake food is what attracts snakes
- Collapse -
The article refers to the area as a hibernaculum

It was new to me as well but this

http://wordsmith.org/words/hibernaculum.html

should make it more clear. The snakes are not there in such quantity year round but when it gets colder. Being cold blooded, they slow down and don't eat as much. They gravitate there to keep each other warm and cozy as well as to make a few more snakes. It makes sense when I think of it that way. I think other species do similar with their migrations. It may well be that these snakes share some common genetic code that drives them to return to the same area each year. Animal instinct seems to be more about survival of the species than of the individual. This appears to be contrary to human instinct as we're more concerned about our individual selves alive. I could believe that this may prove to be our own Achilles heel. We're worried more now about the disappearance of other species and not thinking of ourselves as so vulnerable. Wink

- Collapse -
it could be

there's just a warmer area close under the ground, so they are attracted to it for winter time.

CNET Forums