Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another great show succumbs to the vast wasteland <sigh>

I'll Fly Away, My So-called Life, and the Education of Max Bickford have now been joined by Jack and Bobby in the pantheon of shows too good to survive in the wasteland. Like the others, it will be sorely missed in the Konkel household.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another great show succumbs to the vast wasteland <sigh>
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another great show succumbs to the vast wasteland <sigh>
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wonderfalls

In reply to: Another great show succumbs to the vast wasteland <sigh>

That was one we really liked a couple of years ago, and it lasted around three weeks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) FYI, all 13 eps are available on DVD.

In reply to: Wonderfalls

Collapse -
In the past couple of years ...

... with our unpredictable schedules and the networks changing around their lineups, it's been well over a year since we've watched ANY primetime show, let alone followed one. It wasn't that there weren't a couple that we do like, it was just that I had classes one semester on Tuesday nights when NYPD was on and we would never get around to watching the tapes, etc. But we were talking about this just the other night, and found that neither of us feel we are even missing anything. I find I can't watch some of my favorites like Scrubs because of the plot lines with romances and who is who. Too frustrating trying to figure out what's going on so can't enjoy the humor.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Certainly not missed here.

Collapse -
I never heard of any of them. We are increasingly buying

DVDs of the shows we like. We're not paying a lot of attention to the current, new offerings.

Collapse -
Same here

In reply to: I never heard of any of them. We are increasingly buying

why should I invest more time watching something than the writers have spent writing it? Ever since the government started paying TV shows to teach little fables to the adult-kiddies, I can no longer suppress the gag reflex.

To date, I've seen all the stories where someone was bad or mean to a Black or a Jew and later that person saved his dogs life or some other lame horse-hockey plot.

There is another show where a bleeding heart liberal plays President of the USA and everyone benefits from his wonderful liberal leadership, where do they get this stuff?

Collapse -
It's their dream. If you film it, it will happen. Remember

In reply to: Same here

when Sheen pronounced that GWB has a hidden drinking problem? He seemed to think he's like a former President.

Collapse -
Dead on....and to add

I've found little of interest on TV for the several years that programming has turned to displaying the seamy side of life. I suppose it would be unfair to blame TV for making this side more of a realilty of life and the early presentations seem mild compared to today's offerings. Certainly TV and other media has escallated the problems rather than relieving them IMO.

Collapse -
In real life

In reply to: Dead on....and to add

...we put things like that in the garbage can and glad it's gone within the week to some dump. In TV Land, they drag things out of life's garbage cans and flaunt it in our faces, calling it entertainment. The good side of it all is TV has been one of the driving forces in people moving to the internet in an effort to spend their time less foolishly. Not all succeed. I could put a VCR tape in and set it to tape the shows I'm interested in for a week and that might provide an evening's entertainment during the dry spell on the weekend, but then what would I do during the week when those shows are the only worthy entertainment?

Collapse -
I tried twice

...to watch an episode, the last being them finding about dear ol' Dad being in jail someplace. Neither time did I enjoy it, and ending up turning it off. I think it died a natural death.

Collapse -
Was a show that really needed following from the start.

In reply to: I tried twice

The episode you describe was in fact the last one of the series, and (thankfully) tied up a lot of loose ends, answering questions that had been hinted at since the start (such as how and when did Jack die?) They never did give any clues as to how Bobby and Courtney got together, though -- she was originally Jack's girl.

But it's a real shame when quality, well-written shows like this can't find an audience, while worthless trash like "Fear Factor" prospers based on the same low instincts that brought the Romans out to the "circus."

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
My So Called Life was superior.

But Bobby and Jack never came anywhere near its potential. Not to mention the odd scheduling decisions.

House, on Fox, is a pretty good show. Well paced and intelligent. House, Joan of Arcadia, and West Wing may be the best dramas on the networks right now. Not in that order.

Dan

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: My So Called Life was superior.

About House, and Joan of Arcadia. I've never seen West Wing, so can't comment on that one.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
You've missed out.

In reply to: I agree

The first few seasons especially. Not as much the last two, but it's still superior.

Dan

Collapse -
Joan of Arcadia is done.

In reply to: I agree

CBS decided not to pickup both Joan and Judging Amy.

Interestingly, they've chosen to fill the vacant timeslots with similarly themed shows: the supernatural Ghost Whisperers will take over for Joan and the legal wrangling of Close to Home will take over for Amy.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Damn!

In reply to: Joan of Arcadia is done.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :*(

In reply to: Joan of Arcadia is done.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.