Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another entertainer who should just entertain

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another entertainer who should just entertain
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another entertainer who should just entertain
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Grin

In reply to: Another entertainer who should just entertain

Comedian Yakov Smirnoff, who earned a master's degree in positive psychology, was among the approximately 6,000 graduates.

I haven't been able to watch a Foster movie in years. Not sure why, really, but that's just the way it is. So not lining her pockets with my entertainment dollars won't be sacrifice for me.

Evie Happy
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What the heck is "positive psychology"?

In reply to: Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Was hoping maybe someone here knows!

In reply to: (NT) What the heck is "positive psychology"?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No electro-shock treatments

Collapse -
if your name is Smirnoff,"positive psychology"

is being able to drink 2 bottles of vodka and then tell your-self "i'm not drunk, i'm not drunk, i'm not....."

Wink

Collapse -
but seriously

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It means that when it comes AFTER your name.

In reply to: but seriously

Collapse -
I don't have a banned list,

most of those people are all ready on my "who cares" list for just being Hollywood idiots in general

Collapse -
There's a tipping point I think ...

In reply to: I don't have a banned list,

... I can still watch/listen to some celebs that I know hold opposing political views, do bizarre things in their personal lives, etc.

I was never a big Michael Jackson fan, but can still use him as an example. Most folks, fans or otherwise, took his idiosyncracies with a grain of salt -- the plastic surgery, the fading skin, the glove, the pet chimp, the whole sleeping in the bariatric chamber .... But when it started to involve kids, that's when I just couldn't stomach him anymore.

Tom Cruise is the current celeb on the outs. I hear MI3 is supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm still on the fence on getting it on DVD. When you can no longer separate the actor on the screen with the weirdo off, they are "ruined". I think Tom's reached that tipping point, so unless the hubby really wants to see MI3, we'll probably pass.

If I "banned" every celeb from my entertainment menu for their off-screen/stage antics, the pickins would be pretty slim. But there's a fine line there somewhere that after it is crossed, I'm just not buying anything they put out anymore.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Mind you my list includes...

In reply to: There's a tipping point I think ...

Ilk from the right as well including
Clint Eastwood
Toby Keith
The above mentioned I mostly agree with thier politics but I don't pay them for politics.
Arnold (When he entered politics he left entertainment, for me. His acting was horrible anyway.) I do support his politics most times.

Sean Penn
Martin Sheen
Charlie Sheen
George Clooney
Jane Fonda
Dixie Chicks
Jodie Foster
Barbara Streisand
Linda Ronstadt
Bruce Springsteen
Bill Cosby
Geena Davis
Mike Farrell
Danny Glover
Morgan Freeman
whether I agree or not with their spillage is not the issue
But by far, most are the left leaning ilk.
Does that mean the Righties know where the money comes from more so than the lefties.

Could be

This list is just the ones I currently remember, it grows and shrinks with time.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
I would have to disagree on Cosby ...

In reply to: Mind you my list includes...

... I don't see his message as being political so much as social, and I can't fault him for using his celebrity to get a message out when you have so many civil rights "celebs" touting a culture of victimhood.

I would also have to disagree on Arnold. He actually expressed his political beliefs to an electorate and was voted to represent him. If he went back to acting in a few years, wouldn't effect my going to see the movie.

I have no problem with celebs of either stripe expressing their beliefs so much as I find the ignorant ones bashing people patently offensive.

How could you forget Barbra and Susan Sarandon! LOL Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Seems to me

In reply to: I would have to disagree on Cosby ...

that as long as you agree with their POV it's OK for them to express their ideas...

I don't understand why people who happen to be famous shouldn't be allowed to speak their opinions. To me it is just amazing that some people believe that others should shut up! Just because they are famous doesn't mean that they don't have basic rights and shouldn't be free to express them. I guess GW shouldn't say anything about movies or music since he ain't an actor (at least he isn't paid for it) nor a musician.

Collapse -
No, no, you don't get it

In reply to: Seems to me

If they're expressing conservative views, that's fine and dandy. If they're expressing left-leaning views, they're ignorant.

Understand?

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) BS Josh, and you know it.

In reply to: No, no, you don't get it

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Like the "enlightened"at BC?

In reply to: No, no, you don't get it

Collapse -
They are allowed...

but no one has to listen OR refrain from giving an opposing viewpoint. In many cases when these celebs "speak out" they embarrass themselves by showing their ignorance. They might be better off just doing their jobs.

The ones I don't like I mostly don't like regardless of their political leanings. I can't help it if the vast majority of Hollywood types are far left.

Actually, I have no interest whatever in the President's musical or movie tastes. It would be bizarre for him to do movie or music reviews.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You are wrong

Collapse -
They can speak their minds to their hearts content. So can I

If I don't like what's on their mind, I don't have to contribute to the income that allows them to speak and be heard. All things have consequences. This is one of them.

Collapse -
I disagree

In reply to: I would have to disagree on Cosby ...

once they enter the political areana they cease to be entertainers, it is a one way street for me. If they chosse to do these things they, in my eyes are making a career change which is irreversible.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
I like Clint Eastwood...

In reply to: Mind you my list includes...

Cosby too.

For my NO list add Whoopi Goldberg, Baba, Rosie O, Some others.

Remember My Favorite Year? Peter O'Toole is hanging by a rope outside a window and one stuffy gent sees him and says to another, ''I think Alan Swann is beneath us.'' and the other gent says. ''Of course he's beneath us. He's an ACTOR!''

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I just loved that movie. Too funny for words.

In reply to: I like Clint Eastwood...

Collapse -
Do you feel that way about Ronald Reagan?

If not, you have a double standard. Unlike most entertainers, Foster has a college degree and has always kept up with important national issues -- and I'd rather have her as President than the incumbent. And I suspect most of the students who voted to hear her would, too!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Another reason to raise the voting age.

In reply to: Do you feel that way about Ronald Reagan?

Collapse -
Let's add John Wayne and Charlton Heston to that list too!

In reply to: Do you feel that way about Ronald Reagan?

How dare they express their opinions or actually think they have what it takes to hold office, just because they are/were celebrities!!

Right?

Collapse -
Has Jodie Foster run for some public office that I missed?

In reply to: Let's add John Wayne and Charlton Heston to that list too!

Or to head some major organization?

Didn't think so.

Collapse -
No, she just spoke at a college

In reply to: Has Jodie Foster run for some public office that I missed?

Running for public office is a much larger foray away from acting.

Well, maybe not really.

Collapse -
My point ...

In reply to: No, she just spoke at a college

... Arnie and Clint Eastwood both ran for public office on their political ideas such as they are. And got elected. So, I would say that the political musings of either are at least informed instead of ignorant. There are Dems that fit that mold as well, celebrity may assist them in getting into office, but they run on their ideas.

I don't have a problem with Foster giving the speech she did. She's as free to show her ignorance as the next gal.

Collapse -
Except that "the next gal" won't get media coverage...

In reply to: My point ...

which is the difference. Celebs' voices get heard far out of proportion to their expertise on whatever they are talking about.

Collapse -
But I say they should blather on!

In reply to: Except that "the next gal" won't get media coverage...

It shows their ignorance, and the ignorance of those that take them seriously.

I can't help it if most of the more right-leaning celebs that express their politics have facts and knowledge on their side Devil

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) e.g. Bill Bradley

In reply to: My point ...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.