Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another 'cpmpassionate conservative' speaks up

Agriculture official's quote "out of context."

A senior Agriculture Department official's comment that people who eat at food banks are "taking the easy way out" was taken out of context, an agency spokeswoman said Wednesday, after several members of Congress called for his resignation. He formerly held a similar position under Bush in Texas, btw...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another 'cpmpassionate conservative' speaks up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another 'cpmpassionate conservative' speaks up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: And the "proper context" would be?????

In reply to: Another 'cpmpassionate conservative' speaks up

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: And the

In reply to: (NT) Re: And the "proper context" would be?????

"There's a bump, but how much of that is due to people taking the easy way out? I don't know," said Bost, who served as commissioner of the Texas Department of Human Services in the late 1990s.

Bost told the newspaper that food-stamp enrollment is up because of government outreach. He also said that since many food pantries don't require documentation of income, not all recipients are truly in need.

See my post to Dave. Seems the context is pointing out that it is easier to get food assistance -- particularly on a temporary need basis -- from a food bank than a governmental program, so bumps in food-bank demand are probably somewhat unreliable as gauges of changing need.

Evie Happy
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: And the

In reply to: Re: (NT) Re: And the

Food stamps registration is up (in my area at least) due to plant closings and underemployment.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: closings and unemployment -- Precisely, MK!

Collapse -
That might be the case ...

... and the economy is turning around and rebounding STRONGLY.

Has nothing to do with the CONTEXT of the quote which was your original query I tried to respond to.

Maybe it is time for some of those who have lost jobs to look elsewhere ... either by changing their skills to meet the needs of area employers, or moving to areas where their skills are required.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
More much ado about nothing

You have obviously never known anyone on government food programs or on the borderline. The comment was made in context to using food-bank demand to gauge need, as you or I could walk in off the street and get free food at one very *easily*. Of course the compassionate liberals never give a conservative any leeway in their wording.

Bost told the newspaper that food-stamp enrollment is up because of government outreach. He also said that since many food pantries don't require documentation of income, not all recipients are truly in need. (from your article)

Many who are struggling financially might still find it difficult to qualify for foodstamps or other governmental assistance programs, or are reluctant to have to divulge all sorts of financial and personal information to qualify. Toni made a similar statement regarding prescription drug assistance recently here: Every pharmaceutical company has an indigent program for people who can't pay. My doctors here locally have stopped filling out the paperwork and are sending people to social services to have the paperwork done....I refused to go there because although the pharm. company only wants and requires limited income information, social services wants copies of my bank statements, my bills, etc. and none of that is any of their business.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Speaking of compassion ...

... do you donate to food banks Dave?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Speaking of compassion ...

In reply to: Speaking of compassion ...

Hi, Evie.

Yes, I do. When we do our taxes each year, we get an "audit alert" from the tax program that our claimed charitable deduction is well above the average for our income bracket. I wonder how many "compassionate conservatives" can say the same, particularly if Church contributions aren't included.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Well good ...

In reply to: Re: Speaking of compassion ...

... because this is the first time you have ever answered that type question when asked in the past. I give a lot and often to local charities as do most of the conservatives I know. Compassion does not have to equal forced giving by the hand of the government.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
At least, it's encouraging..............

.....to realize tha some of the "uninformed" are
hanging around and paying attention to what's being
said, if for no other reason than to criticize. Just
might be they will learn something along the way, and
start to see the light.

Collapse -
He's not that uninformed

In reply to: At least, it's encouraging..............

At least Bost knew that food banks existed. Let's give him that.

Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.