Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another coincidence? First South Atlantic Hurricane on record hits Brazil

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 28, 2004 12:18 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another coincidence? First South Atlantic Hurricane on record hits Brazil
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another coincidence? First South Atlantic Hurricane on record hits Brazil
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Another coincidence? First South Atlantic Hurricane on record hits Brazil

Exactly?! Yeah right.

Friday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said the first hurricane ever in the South Atlantic was forming off the coast of Brazil, classifying it as a Category 1 hurricane -- the least powerful on forecasters' five-level scale, with winds between 74 and 95 mph.

Brazil's state weather service said that the eye of a hurricane is hotter than its edges, while the center of the weather system that formed above colder waters in South Atlantic was cold, which meant it was an extratropical cyclone.

Hardly sounds like the experts even agree that this was a hurricane. A little early to sound the "sky is falling" alarm.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Another coincidence? First South Atlantic Hurricane on record hits Brazil

Hi, Evie.

The Brazilian experts apear to have the same view about the hurricane that Bush et al. have on gloabal warming -- they're denying reality. In this case, their argument is basically "we don't get hurricanes here." Well, they do now!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Sure looks like a hurricane to me. Link to pic included. Very good pic but 500 KB in size.
Collapse -
I'm not a meteorologist...

nor do I play one on TV, but that's a hurricane.

Dan

Collapse -
brazil hurricane global warming
by Blake Cook / March 30, 2004 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: PS
Collapse -
Re:brazil hurricane global warming
by C1ay / March 30, 2004 8:35 AM PST
This search produces about 13,400 results.

Relevancy falls off quick though. Of the first 10 links produced by that search only one was relevant and it merely asked if the Brazil Hurricane might be caused by global warming. It didn't say "is" or "could be" or that it fits any models.

The remaining 9 coincidentally had Brazil or hurricane or "global warming" on the page but not in the context of the current hurricane or any discussion of it.

news.google.com is usually pretty good about finding relevant news stories if they exist but it turns up nothing. Just for the fun of it though test Dave's claim in the broader Google search engine for "global warming models predict hurricanes" and it comes up blank as well. I also search on just "global warming models" and still didn't find any that backed up Dave's claim. I'd wager that he can't either.

Collapse -
Wouldn't it be odd
by James Denison / April 6, 2004 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a tropical storm

if the process that makes a hurricane can also run in reverse? Aren't most hurricanes and cyclones in the northern hemisphere anyway? Maybe we are now seeing how they work in the southern one and since water swirls backward down a drain there, once might be able to assume similar action might occur in hurricanes and the process be reversed.

Collapse -
Re: Not a tropical storm
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2004 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a tropical storm

Hi, Clay.

Hate to say it's come down to this, but given the censorship of EPA (and earlier NOAA) reports to agree more with the Administration line, doesn't the ".gov" give you pause as to the report's even-handedness. Now I know how y'all felt during Clinton -- except he let science speak for itself, unlike Bush.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: Not a tropical storm
by C1ay / April 6, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

This report referring to the eye's temperature isn't from .gov though. It's from the Falklands and claims the Hurricane Center of Miami got it wrong when they classified the storm as a hurricane because of the eye's temperature.

Collapse -
What a crock. We all know its Clintons fault!!!!!!
by gearup / April 6, 2004 10:31 PM PDT

Collapse -
^^^^ (NT) ^^^^
by C1ay / April 6, 2004 10:56 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?