Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another

by Steven Haninger / April 6, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

This relates to the "pet" thread and is more concerned with human ownership of wild or exotic animals (including Sabrina the squirrel). So, which life would you prefer?

You have two choices.

1.You can be as you are and live as you do. You are free to roam the countryside, seek your own shelter and endure perils as they come. You can develop your own habits and live by the benefits or consequences of them....just as you do today. Or...

2.You can live in a captive environment and your movement would be limited. But, you would be sheltered and kept from preditors such as out of control SUVs, drive by shootings, military service, etc. Your environment would be kept sanitary to reduce infection and disease. You would be fed on a schedule but not choose from any menu. Your meals would be selected and portioned to maintain your health. You would have regular medical care and would probably live longer than had you chosen the first option. But, when you were old and frail, you might be euthanized and would have no say so about it. You might be provided with a friend or even have a mate chosen for you but it would not be your option. Which would you prefer...and, NO you cannot see a picture of your mate first.;)

BTW, I go with option 1:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / April 6, 2005 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Another

As human...

No.1 is preferred. Control my life or somebody else will.

No.2 is circumstancial, inevitable and may one day happen or has happened.

Examples of these:

a. Hospitals/Institutionalized/Nursing Homes/Residential Care homes.
b. Prison
c. Parental Custody
d. Orphanage
e. Marital life in a none Democratic Country, ruled by religion, traditions, and gender superiority.

In any case, one who has not at some point in life gone through some type of control and solitude will never fully understood what freedom is all about.

An Animal? I do not wish to be one or believe in the concept of being incarnated to any.

To make *any* animals as pet? They don't belong to any masters just as humans is nobody's ownership.

cl

Collapse -
Many would take a noble beast,
by Jerry562 / April 6, 2005 9:48 PM PDT

break them mentally so they didn't dare go out on their own, treat them like situation number two and profess their love for the animal THEY CREATED out of the one they formally admired.

How much fun would it be for a (say) parrot or lion that does not know how to hunt, find a mate in New York city, find other parrots or lions, understand the dangers of everyday life, or what to eat to heal illnesses, that he would have learned in the wild with other parrots or lions? I'd fly back in the window or crawl back into my cage to the only life I've ever known where I have the false sense of security of prison. Some of them fly so far and so fast and so long, they die, some loins would be shot by the police or other unknowing people.

Collapse -
and jerry how many wild animals will survive
by Mark5019 / April 6, 2005 10:49 PM PDT

as there habitat dwindles every day.
soon the only rino you will see is in the zoo or in a book.

so if we leave them all free soon be none left.
same for all the wild animals mans killing them is not stopped

Collapse -
heres just a few of the endangered or extinct
by Mark5019 / April 6, 2005 10:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Pets are slaves
by Diana Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 9:56 PM PDT

Unfortunately, they may get a master that cares for and loves them or they may get a master that hurts or starves them. The pet has no choice in the matter just like a slave.

One of my sons says that he wouldn't mind being a pet but he doesn't understand that not everyone treats their pets like I do.

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Except cats, who think YOU are THEIR slaves
by Josh K / April 6, 2005 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Pets are slaves

And usually they're right.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?