Storage forum

General discussion

Another 2nd hard drive question

by pjmystic / July 15, 2005 2:18 AM PDT

I'm putting a 2nd 40 gig hard drive in a new computer I have purchased. This hard drive is from my old computer that had the motherboard fry last week. This old hard drive has winxp on it and quite a few programs/files saved. What I want to do is get rid of a bunch of garbage off this drive that isn't needed.

Does this drive have to have programs such as word/excel installed on it if I save the data files there or can I delete it off the old drive and just have it on my new one? Or do each drive have to have the corresponding program installed to open it?

I guess my question is if this were you, and you were going to have all of your programs installed on the new drive, how many programs are necessary to leave on the old one?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another 2nd hard drive question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another 2nd hard drive question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well....
by ramusson / July 15, 2005 7:16 PM PDT

1) None of the programs (barring a few "special" ones that do not share the OS resources) will run from the old disk. You will have to re install them.

2) Data files can be opened by the corresponding programs where ever they are located. You can have Excel in D drive and the xls files in another drive.

What I would do is backup my data files to the first drive, and also those "special" programs.

To your last question, the answer is NONE.

Collapse -
Having XP Favorites & OE Mail folders on Data drive
by esemones / July 19, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....

I plan to have the primary partition holding the boot record, OS (WindowsXP Prof) and all program files and keep the data files on a second partition. Most programs allow you to select the drive,file path etc to such.
But, I can't figure how to move/maintain Internet Favorites (IE6) and Outlook Express mail folders in my "Data" partition. There must be a way to do this set up; maybe directly in the registry?

Collapse -
Another 2nd hard drive
by Noizxland / July 26, 2005 9:56 PM PDT

I wouldn't leave any program on the old one, as it might bring about some mistakes in OS.
When I bought a new HDD, I had to transfer all information from my old HDD, because I didn't want to lose anything, I had installed windows and many needed programs. And I use hard drive cloning software. I create clone of my old HDD, make a bootable CD (it takes reasonable among of space due to highest level of compression) and restore it onto new on (in your case you may restore image from old HDD). So if you want to keep some data you may follow my example. After that be sure all you need assist at new HDD, an old one you may format - it'll remove all your ''garbage'' unambiguously.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?