The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

anonymous wikipedia changes not quite so anonymous

by gogomama / August 14, 2007 9:41 AM PDT

I found a link on digg today that pointed to a wired article reporting that a grad student has released a tool allowing people to link the IP addresses of people who made wikipedia changes to the owners of those IP addresses. It's not 100% as it can only tell you what network the changes came from, not the individual person, but it's still interesting to see what changes have been made to make people look better/worse and linking it to the responsible company.

O'Reilly blog post about Fox News changes: http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/wikipedia_is_on.html

Original wired story:
http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/08/wiki_tracker

Link to the tool itself:
http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anonymous wikipedia changes not quite so anonymous
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anonymous wikipedia changes not quite so anonymous
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For example...
by gogomama / August 14, 2007 10:18 AM PDT

You can see what changes people in the CNET office have made to the BOL page, or the Tom Merrit Rules page...

I can't see what changes were made since I'm at work and wikipedia is blocked here, but CNET has made quite a few changes (though most have not been to CNET related entries... and Tom, is that you making all of those Back To The Future III changes?)

Collapse -
It's not hard
by benanzo / August 14, 2007 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: For example...

to make yourself anonymous via proxies or tor. I'm sure plenty of people use anonymizers when posting to wikipedia. The value of this tool is therefore negligible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.