PC Applications forum

General discussion

Anonymous surfing software

by zbawic / June 11, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I've seen ads for programs purporting to make online surfing anonymous. Is this type of program necessary for the average user? How do they do what they claim? I see that some are free and others are not, why? Any input you can provide is appreciated.
I tried to search on this topic and didn't find anything helpful. If you're aware of an existing thread which addresses this, please post a link.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anonymous surfing software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anonymous surfing software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's why I pan such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 3:50 AM PDT

The only way to hide where you go is to do such through a PROXY. I decline to describe in detail what any word I use in all capital letters since it's widely described on pages you find with google.com

Now that you are on the proxy your ISP can't log where you go. However now the PROXY can. In fact current wiretap laws allow such and may demand ISPs supply such logs on demand. It's much like phone logs.

I will not enter into any debate about a country's right or such but I just want to share that there is no assurance that you could surf anonymously even with a proxy.

Bob

Collapse -
Anonymous surfing...
by John.Wilkinson / June 11, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

* No, it's not necessary for the average user. It's designed for those who wish to visit websites and prevent the website from knowing who you are. For instance, they may want to perform illegal activities and hide their true identity. The truth is, though, that it's not a foolproof technique so you shouldn't rely on it to keep you out of jail.

* They work by routing all of your requests through a third-party proxy server. You tell them what website you wish to view, they make the request for the website, and then forward the website on to you. They can also encrypt the connection and/or the URL preventing others from intercepting the data and seeing what you're sending/receiving. This, however, can be dangerous. If you're, say, conversing with your bank or reading your e-mail you must send the proxy server your account information and password. Better-known proxies promise to delete that information as soon as you're done, but then again you have no way of knowing.

Proxies have a niche in online browsing, and one that will remain. Before jumping in, though, you should determine if you have a specific need for such and know its follies.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Proxy solution - VPN
by reliablehosting.com / June 15, 2007 4:45 PM PDT

Another alternative to a proxy is a VPN solution. I use www.strongvpn.com ( StrongVPN ) for my connectivity which allows me to use a IP address other then my cable provider gave me.

VPN accounts are useful when traveling overseas, or with hotspots as well. If you want to go to a website and not have them know your location or provider, a VPN will do that as well.

Most importantly though a VPN will give you a secure encrypted always on connection.

Collapse -
BBC mentions anonymous.org
by T D / June 15, 2007 11:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Try GhostSurf it has work for me.
by N127 / June 17, 2007 5:19 AM PDT

GhostSurf 2005 is ok, but its a paid software. I have been using it for 2 years. If you get it, try it first for the trial offer. It will slow your connection to Internet somewhat, but that is the trade off. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Try Tor!
by selujzednanreh / June 17, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

Look up Tor at http://tor.eff.org/. It's a little difficult to set up, specially for beginners, but the documentation will help you through the process. It will also slow down your Internet connection a bit, but that's part of the tradeoff.

Collapse -
I already used proxy servers
by metmichallica / June 18, 2007 3:57 PM PDT

to get around an ip ban from some administrator a few times. They can ban proxy servers too, lol. I really don't think surfing online with a proxy server is that much more secure especially if you are using a public proxy server, which is what I mainly used and just configured it to work with IE.

I do block the referrer feild with RefControl in Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/953

You do have to configure it to block all after you install it if you want to use it. It works good.

Collapse -
canada sucks
by blamecanada2007 / July 31, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

im from canada and cant view any stremaing video from the states, on the lot, lost, heroes although free to the americans comes up with "you must be in the nited states to view this video" is there an anonimiser that will actually make abc.com believe i am from the states so i can watch my tv shows?

Collapse -
strongvpn
by reliablehosting.com / July 31, 2007 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: canada sucks

www.strongvpn.com works

Collapse -
STRONGVPN
by calydon50 / September 19, 2008 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: strongvpn

Hey, just one question, does strongvpn hides your ip or it will just change it?, cause i'd like to buy it, but i need to know from someone who used it how it works..thx,a good day!

Collapse -
Without an IP address nothing could work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: STRONGVPN

No IP address would mean your machine would not get packets from other machines so no, it can not be hidden.
Bob

Collapse -
CNET Downloads- anonymous surfing software
by Dick Humfrey / August 1, 2007 3:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?