Computer Help forum

General discussion

Anonymous FTP sites

by hendrixsrv101 / April 14, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

Hello friends,

If anyone would be kind enough to help I would be much obliged. I have an assignment i'm having a lot of trouble with concerning anonymous FTP sites. First off, I can't find any (searched on google and other search engines) and second off i'm not sure what they're exact purpose is (downloading patches for software, etc?) Anyways, the assignment details are below. A response would be SO appreciated! Thank you Happy :

Using your Web browser, find a list of anonymous FTP sites anyone can visit to upload or download files. Visit at least five (5) FTP sites, using either your browser or a dedicated FTP application.

* What items of interest do you find?
* Do you believe FTP is a useful tool? Why or why not?

Summarize the FTP sites and answer the questions in a one (1) page paper.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anonymous FTP sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anonymous FTP sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure we should help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Anonymous FTP sites

As this is a project, (school/college?), this should be your own assignment where you find the answers yourself, and not rely on other people.

So I suspect you will find little help here.

You say you have already searched on Google and can't find any. Strange, because when I typed in FTP into Google I found a large number of articles, and on the first page what looked like some useful sites to help you.

Good luck with your assignment.

Mark

Collapse -
That's a shame
by hendrixsrv101 / April 14, 2008 4:42 AM PDT

Mark,

I'm sorry if you feel some type of moral obligation towards a college assignment, but in most people's view, being helped is much different than having something done for you. For instance, what about a math problem? Do you show someone the process of how to do it and an example or do you leave them with useless comments such as yours which are basically saying "do it yourself, no one needs help" I am not knowledgeable in the area of FTP and I was inquiring for some help. Please don't waste space with asinine comments.

Have a good day Happy

Collapse -
A math problem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a shame

So, your tutor teaches you about Calculus or Statistics, or whatever they may be teaching you, shows you the basics and the processes, then gives you an assignment to do at home, and what do you do, ask someone else?

How do you learn like that?

Your use of English is impressive but if you accept that the definition of Asinine is;

1. Utterly stupid or silly,
2. Of, relating to, or resembling an ass.

then I wonder what your tutor would think if they knew that you were attempting to let others do the assignment they gave you instead of you doing it yourself.

You are quite right, this is wasting space, so I am locking this discussion.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: English
by Kees Bakker / April 14, 2008 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: A math problem?

His command of English might be good (I didn't know what asinine is), but before starting with difficult assignments like this, he'd better start learning the basics of using Google.
If I search (with my limited knowledge of English) search for anonymous ftp sites - not really difficult - I get quite a lot of VERY useful results on the first page, even without using quotes around them. While he explicitely stated he searched on google and other search engines and couldn't find any.

Kees

Collapse -
If you want...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Anonymous FTP sites

Give me a link to the prof's site and I'll send in my answer directly.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.