Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Annoying video problem

by TONI H / September 1, 2008 5:41 AM PDT

I have a spare computer that I use for editing my home videos...TV and VCR hooked up to a capture card, then I burn to a dvd. However, I recently replaced the mobo and cpu, using the same harddrive that was in the other setup without formatting the drive. Hardware all works correctly, but my video programs kept giving me error messages.

I uninstalled all the programs and codecs, reinstalled after clean reboot, and the programs are functioning correctly again EXCEPT....

After capturing the video and playing the movie back in Media Player, all movies, even ones that were on the harddrive previously, are UPSIDE DOWN. Now what? lol

TONI H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying video problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying video problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe its a codec issue.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Annoying video problem

Hi Toni, nice to see you still around.

I simply would not have said the obvious, like, "Turn the monitor upside down". Honestly, I wouldn't have said that! Devil

I believe this is a codec issue. Have you tried GSpot codec finder, (the name really is Gspot)?

It will tell you what codecs these files need.

Having said that, Microsoft suggest turning the video acceleration down;
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0075.mspx#EFH

I hope one of those helps.

Mark

Collapse -
It is a codec issue
by Jimmy Greystone / September 1, 2008 6:30 AM PDT

It is a codec issue... Well, sort of an interaction between some video drivers and some codecs. I've seen numerous "inverted video fix" options in codec settings in the past. Problem is accessing those settings, since Microsoft decided sometime around version 7 of Windows Media Player, that they were going to remove all access to that option. WMP 6.4 had it, and if you run wmplayer2 instead to get the old 6.4 version, you should be able to get into the decoder settings. It's generally a lot easier to just dump the WMP for something like MediaPlayer Classic, where you have all the fast loading and responsive goodness of WMP 6.4, with the features of later versions of WMP, and even some additionals.

Long story short though, make sure you're using the latest versions of the codecs AND video drivers. If it still doesn't work, you have to get into the codec decoder options and look for an inverted video fix option.

Collapse -
last time i saw this problem
by jonah jones / September 1, 2008 12:44 PM PDT

t
h
e

m
o
t
h
e
r
b
o
a
r
d

had been put in upside down Happy

good to see you Toni! (even upside down

jonah

Collapse -
new problem just noticed
by TONI H / September 2, 2008 12:53 AM PDT

the sound on the vcr tapes isn't being recorded...all connections are correct, and there is sound on the computer for normal stuff, just not during the capture process.

In my troubleshooting efforts, I have been uninstalling from the add-remove programs list after also uninstalling all codecs and drivers for sound/video but noticed a file/program I thought was installed with my onboard Realtek sound.

When I went to uninstall it, I got a window basically telling me that many of my recent KB updates may not function properly if I uninstall it, so I cancelled the uninstall and did a search at MS to get some info about it since it now seems that it was a download from their update center.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

I don't have this file installed on my other two computers so I'm wondering if I really need this and can I safely uninstall it, even though it warns that other KB files may rebel over it.

I have XP Pro SP2 and all updates for it, but never installed SP3 on this particular harddrive....when I installed SP3 on my internet computer, I couldn't get it to even boot up, so it was repaired and taken back to SP2. I've since then run into a problem with the download center where it will report what I need, download the updates, but fails to install everything downloaded. I have to download each update separately and install manually each time. Never figured out what happened, but won't trust SP3 on my other computers now.

Any advice about the KB888111 file and if I can eliminate it? (still working on the upsidedown and sound problem lol) Hoping I don't have to wipe the drive and start over again, but that is an option I can live with if necessary.

TONI H

Collapse -
I have to bow out on this one.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 5:37 AM PDT

I've never captured vcr tapes to a computer so I know little about it.

Is this a related problem though, or a separate one?

It may be related, eg something simple like a codec, in which case you wouldn't have anything to lose by trying out GSpot, from;
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ and see what it mentions for both the video and audio codecs required for these files.

I hesitate to ask of someone who has written the book on installing/reinstalling OSs, and other computer technical matters, but when you replaced the MB and CPU did you install all the MB and chipset drivers onto that existing drive? I wouldn't know anymore about that if my life depended on it.

Finally, knowing you are comfortable with reinstalling an OS, (even if it is irritating), you could just try to uninstall that Realtek audio file, and see how much the OS complains. Ohh, does the Realtek web site mention this file at all?

How's your sister!

Oops, sorry, Devil

Mark

Collapse -
I uninstalled
by TONI H / September 2, 2008 6:11 AM PDT

the Realtek mobo sound card and disabled it in the bios...immediately ran into a problem with explorer.exe closing on desktop because of lameacm.acm file. Did a google search and it's an audio file, and tied to Realtek on one site at least. I finally booted up with the XP cd, and deleted that file from the system32 folder since I couldn't do it in safemode or in normal mode. Once I was able to get to the desktop again without explorer closing, I ran sfc/scannow and although the cd replaced many files, nothing has changed one iota.

The video programs run, no sound from the capture card even though I have sound from my Montego II sound card just fine, but Media Player shows previous video files upside down, and any test files I create from the vcr won't even run in Media Player....'Media Player has a problem and will now close" crap.

I'm going to format the drive (everything I need is on install cd's or on the spare harddrive) and only install what I absolutely have to have in order to get on the net (I won't even set up my network until I know everything else is working) and get my video programs running correctly like they used to do.

This is actually the first time I've replaced a mobo and cpu, built a system from the ground up, used a harddrive that already had XP installed on it, and run into problems. Usually, I just have to slap in the mobo drivers and I'm up and running and just activating XP without messing with wiping the drive and starting over.

Still don't know what the KB888111 download is about since it specifically is High Definition Audio....and am wondering if that's the cause of the problems I've encountered? I provided a link to that file and it's listed in Add/Remove programs...I just haven't uninstalled it while waiting for some response from members here.

If worse comes to worse, I'll format the drive and start over in the morning.

Sister is fine and just as much of a nag, advisor, expert, etc. as ever. LOL

TONI H

Collapse -
Kinda-sorta way off topic.........
by caktus / September 8, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Hi, Tony. Long time no see (er-a, read.) Thought maybe you'd dropped off the end of the earth.

Charlie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.