Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Annoying Systray Icon

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2005 5:40 PM PST

Question for all the techies please.

My Systray is slim, except for the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, which I want to remove. It seems to be a WinXP utility and not Win 9x or ME.

Is it safe to remove this icon?

If so, how?

(OK it was 2 questions!).

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying Systray Icon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying Systray Icon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That icon appeared in ME too.
by Papa Echo / January 21, 2005 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Annoying Systray Icon

Put there by USB Bus controller ? Supposed to help remove USB devices safely (hot unplug). How safe, I wish I know. I do not know the answer(s) to your question(s), but I found THIS. Hope that is the answer.

Collapse -
Thanks Papa
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2005 7:40 PM PST

I never saw it in ME, but perhaps because I never had any USB devices attached, except the odd USB mouse.

I did know about hiding inactive icons in the systray, but I was hoping for a more permanent solution.

But, thanks for having a look. Much appreciated.

Mark

Collapse -
The only time it shows
by glb613 / January 21, 2005 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Papa

on any of my computers is when I have something plugged into a USB port. If you remove it, how would you safely unplug your devices?

Collapse -
No idea
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2005 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: The only time it shows

No expert here, but I thought USB plug in and play was just that. You plugged in and you unplugged, whenever required.

I've never had to go through a wizard or anything like that to do so.

But I am willing to be educated here, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
*I am willing to be educated here* ;-)
by Cetin Denislam / January 21, 2005 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: No idea

"Safely Remove Hardware" icon appears for example when we insert a USB /PCMCIA device. Device examples: an external USB removable hard disk, USB pen drive, PCMCIA modem/nic, etc. This icon is useful when you try to remove for example the external storage devices because it?ll do a flush to the external media, thus preventing data corruption.

If you want to see why it?s shown there, just open it and you?ll see the device(s).

However, if you don?t want it showing in the systray, try this. Right click any blank place on the systray, click Customize Notifications. Click the "Safely Remove Hardware" and select the option you want, for example "Always Hide", click OK and Restart PC.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
You are partially correct
by awildey / January 28, 2005 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: No idea

USB was announced Plug and Play, sounding like that is all you had to do. However with most anything being USB now, some problems have arised. I have seen where a digital camera, if not properly "removed", became corrupted and lost pictures. I have that stupid icon on my computer, becuase I have a USB printer, so I just deal with it. When I use my USB jumpdrive, I don't "remove" it, I ust unplug it with no problems. So my advice is with large data storage, i.e. external drives, cameras etc. "remove" them, the rest should be safe. You can look at it like shutting down your computer, or just pulling the power cord. Some devices do need a shut-down process before the plug is pulled.

Collapse -
UR welcome.
by Papa Echo / January 21, 2005 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Papa

Perhaps the icon will always be there. Maybe your only "permanent solution" is to "always hide it" at options...Well, you won't see it, so just pretend that it is not there.

BTW, that icon appeared at ME when I pluged in my USB Hub, Digital camera and USB CD-RW drive.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah, I reckon it's going to stay.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2005 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: UR welcome.
Collapse -
getting rid of systray icon
by TechnicalGuy / January 28, 2005 3:41 AM PST

The 'safey remove ...' icon usually means that you have some USB hardware plugged in. It usually does not show up if no such ardware is installed. So you need to unplug an USB devices to get rid of the icon. If this is the only icon you have on the systray then very few resources are being 'wasted' and you could just ignore it. Unlike previous Win. versions this icon will not slow down your computer.

Collapse -
Systray Icon
by rattlinbones / January 28, 2005 9:07 AM PST

Have you tried going to start > run type msconfig go to startup and uncheck the box that equals your troublesome icon. Your machine will require a reboot and when you desktop comes up there is a dialog box telling you that you have done something or other just check the box that says to basically "shutup windows and don't nag me anymore."

Collapse -
Annoying Systray Icon
by strebor777 / January 28, 2005 3:35 PM PST

The reason this icon appears is, like mentioned earlier, there is/was a device plugged in that requires this icon to safely remove the item. If removing USB devices it is always a good idea to remove it using the supplied icon in the system tray. If you right click on it it should show Saely Remove Hardware. Select it. A window should open and display the device(s) that are installed. I have this pop up ONLY when I plug in a device that should be removed by using this Icon.(IE: My MP3 Player) Yes you should remove the hardware using this. That is why it is there. I have a USB printer that is always hooked up. It does not come up for it because it is not classified as a device that needs to be uninstalled so as not to have something in the system looking for the device. It is only called upon when a piece of software, Print Spooler, calls on it.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?