HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

annoying printer startup.

by maggotman / October 8, 2007 6:18 PM PDT

my problem is my printer keeps starting up and switching off on its own about every 10 mins. i was wondering why and what the remedy is please. it is a new lexmark aio printer. well about 3mnths old,
all suggestions appreciated.
ps. my comp is a dell dimensions E520 with windows media centre.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: annoying printer startup.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: annoying printer startup.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More details please.
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2007 6:35 PM PDT

- Does this happen with the printer powered off?
- Printer connected to one PC only?
- Does this happen with the PC powered off?
- Does this happen with the PC powered on, but nobody logged in?
- Does this happen after booting into Safe mode, logging in and doing absolutely nothing but looking at your desktop?
- If you turn off the printer, does anything appear in the printqueue every 10 minutes or do you get a message about the printer being offline?

Kees

Collapse -
more datails please
by maggotman / October 8, 2007 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: More details please.

it happens when i am on my pc but not with the printer switched on, it doesnt happen when i arn't logged in.

Collapse -
That answers ...
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2007 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: more datails please

the first 4 questions. Now the last 2 ones (which are the most difficult) please. It seems that 'something' that runs or happens when you're logged in activates the printer. It might take time to find out what it is. Seeing if it runs in Safe Mode is a start. Seeing if it does if you only log on and don't start anything else is a second step. The third step: logon as another user and see if it happens then also.

Additional questions:
- Does the printer have a power-on/off switch. Or is it always 'sleeping' so to say.
- Would it harm to really disconnect it from the power by an additional external power switch (Canon printers, for example, say they need power even when turned off with the on/off-switch).

I don't think this is an MS Office problem. It's something in Windows.

Kees

Collapse -
that answers
by maggotman / October 9, 2007 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: That answers ...

i started the pc in safe mode with my sons name and the printer never started up. as for the the on off switch it does have one but i never switch the printer on until i need it.what about uninstalling then reinstall.
ps. when i first installed the printer i installed it for all users.

Collapse -
Try...
by Papa Echo / October 9, 2007 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: that answers

Startup and logon normally. When the printer automatically comes on, immediately press Alt+Ctrl+Delete to bring up the task manager. What programs are running (in addition to the printer) ?

Also look in Control Panel >Schedulled Tasks. What is/are schedulled to run every ten minutes ?

BTW, did the problem came recently or happened since the printer was installed ?

Collapse -
try
by maggotman / October 10, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Try...

i did what you suggested and programmes at startup are the same as always. as for programmes that start every 10 mins there is zero.and it has only just started doing it, not since the printer was installed.

Collapse -
Just started....
by Papa Echo / October 10, 2007 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: try

...use System Restore to roll back to when it was OK.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.