Computer Help forum

General discussion

Annoying popup on Facebook

by Syrinx77 / October 15, 2009 8:13 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying popup on Facebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying popup on Facebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had a comparable thing ...
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 8:29 AM PDT

for a .php file on in Firefox while browsing these forums. Occasionally, off and on, but only at home, never at work. Nothing the last few weeks. Yesterday it suddenly was at every page. Very, very annoying.

The workaround for me in Firefox: ABP (Adblock Plus) found it as blockable (something like So I blocked that and it was gone immediately.

In every page in this forum a javascript on is executed: <script type="text/javascript" id="fbFeatureLoader" src=""></script>
I'm not a member of facebook, and I've never shown any interest in loading their features.

And, somehow, that script seems to want to a .php-file (should be a server-only thing). It might have to do something with Noscript also. I don't block javascript, but still it might do something inside. I didn't experiment because I got rid of the popup via ABP.

And please don't ask me why CNet should execute a javascript on Probably they get money for it.

Collapse -
by Syrinx77 / October 15, 2009 8:38 AM PDT

Yeah, I would get on FB & it'd take me to the Home pg, but (sometimes), when I try going to my profile pg., I'd see that pop up. (& I do have the NoScript app)

So it isn't a FF setting of mine? Where do I find this "ABP"?

Collapse -
ABP is a much used addon.
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmm

You find it like all other addons.

Collapse -
by Syrinx77 / October 15, 2009 8:48 PM PDT

Did the add-on. Still getting that pop up. =/

Collapse -
You need to USE the addon ...
by Kees Bakker / October 16, 2009 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: damn,....

to block something. It doesn't block anything by default.

Collapse -
This is where it got confusing
by Syrinx77 / October 17, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

The ABP site was like Greek to me.
This filter )&/or "filter subscription") I'm supposed to add- how? I hit the "Add Filters" button & a field opened up. I had no idea what to type in it.

I went to "EasyList" & there was no Way I was gonna make sense of all that....

Collapse -
by Syrinx77 / October 17, 2009 12:38 PM PDT

Collapse -
Me too!
by dcanoli / November 22, 2009 11:50 PM PST

I get an annoying Javascript pop-up every time I refresh a page or go to a page on facebook, and it only happens on my laptop, never on my desktop.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java, but to no avail.

I'm on firefox too and have ABP, but I'm like the above posters. What the heck do you type in the filter box?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?