HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Annoying junk files

by Wolfgamezzz / October 9, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

I just hate annoying junk files that get left behind in your program files and documents and settings folders as well as the registry. My computer has been running a lot slower lately, and I am almost sure it is these junk files to blame. I just don't have the time/patience to delete them all, and I don't really trust registry cleaners. Is there anything else I can do?

Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz
1GB DDR2 Ram
GeForce 6800 GPU
160GB HD

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying junk files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying junk files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
can't edit ;)
by Wolfgamezzz / October 9, 2007 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Annoying junk files

I was referring to files that were generated from programs that you have uninstalled, I used to have some unnecesarry programs that left a large fingerprint as well.

Collapse -
Not it
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

Stray files and bits in the registry do not slow down a computer, contrary to popular myth. The only things that are going to slow down your computer are running programs that take up RAM and CPU time.

Collapse -
ohh...
by Wolfgamezzz / October 9, 2007 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Not it

Oh, ok. I have already done quite a few google searches on processes and services, but I still haven't culled it enough. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
RamBooster and Revo Uninstaller
by BrianZachary / October 9, 2007 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: ohh...

1) RamBooster is a great little utility that will help you get the most out of your RAM. You can use it to optimize your free RAM and help your computer to run a little faster.

http://www.download.com/RAMBooster/3000-2086_4-10465453.html?tag=lst-0-1

2) Revo Uninstaller is a must for uninstalling programs from your computer. It gives you the option to "Scan after uninstall", which will list any leftover files left by the program you just uninstalled, even what's in the registry. You can Select All and delete all of the files at the same time. I don't know if you can use it to find any leftover files from previous uninstalls, but there are a few other jobs you can do with it to help clean up your computer.

http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10727911.html?tag=lst-0-1

Both of these programs can be downloaded from Download.com, as you can see, both have great reviews from other users and best of all, both are free. I hope these help.

Collapse -
One out of Two
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2007 4:16 PM PDT

One out of those two programs might have some worth, and it's the second one. Those RAM freeing programs are not very useful, and often harm the performance of a system. Windows will automatically use a good chunk of available memory to cache parts of the operating system for performance purposes. If you go and use some program to force that data to be unloaded, then you have to suffer the performance penalty of Windows loading it all back in again. Remember always one of the mantras they teach in any worthwhile IT program: Free RAM is wasted RAM.

The uninstaller program may have some meager value, but things like a few leftover files and bits in the registry is the computer equivalent to dust buildup. Perfectly harmless, just annoying to the fussy among us.

Collapse -
I agree with BrianZachary on the RAM optimizer
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 4:26 PM PDT

as they are called. I've been using one for some time with no trouble. I am not tracking this thread.

Collapse -
4 stars on the Revo
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

I have it install but seldom use it. It looks good and is simple to operate. It's interface is straight forward and shows most programs on your system.

Collapse -
Many suggest
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 4:50 PM PDT

Ccleaner. I find it tooo aggressive, especially on a single computer with multiple users. You could gut out the Operating System with that thing. Like eating an entire box of laxatives, might be a good analogy.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Wolfgamezzz / October 10, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

Ill give the Revo Uninstaller a try. I also do agree with those ram utilities, they are a waste of time. Thanks for the info.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.