The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Annoying iPod problem with podcasts

by Slikkster / March 29, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

I've seen this issue come up elsewhere on the net. Just wondering if it happens to people here, too.

I use Itunes (latest iteration) to download BOL and drag onto my connected Ipod (inside iTunes). All's well and fine. I don't have it set for Sync mode...I just like manually adding what I want.

However, almost every day I do this, I have to reset the iPod in order for them to play correctly. Here's how it manifests: I do the above steps. Then, "eject" my iPod in iTunes via the menu. I wait for the eject process to complete. I take my iPod with me on my commute. I turn it on, go to the Podcast menu, find Buzz Out Loud (or whatever other podcast; this isn't limited to BOL). I use the thumbwheel to get to the episode I want. Press Play on the wheel. That's where it hangs. A small bit of the display is loaded from the right side -- in other words I see a very small bit of the cNET logo try to slide in, but then it stops and locks up. I have to manually reboot the iPod to get it back to working order. Once reset/rebooted, the podcasts play fine.

This has now happened on three different iPods that I've owned, so it's not exclusive to one particular unit.

What's the deal? Do I need to actually "sync" the darn thing to get this to work without issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying iPod problem with podcasts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying iPod problem with podcasts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sync doesn't help
by mattlp / March 29, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

I've had the same problem for a long time. I have a 2nd gen iPod Nano and I DO sync it almost nightly so I can get the latest podcasts. My iPod hangs up the same way. I was hoping it was fixed with the 3rd gen. Have you experienced the problem w/ the new iPod Nano?

The problem doesn't happen every time I sync -- probably 80% - 90% of the time. I have not figured out anything special thing that I do that 10% to 20% of the time it doesn't hang. I always use the same process, including ejecting the iPod. I haven't noticed a pattern whether or not I leave the iPod attached to recharge.

Once or twice I've tried to start listening to a podcast right after syncing. The iPod didn't hang. I then pause it and play it the next morning. I haven't tested to see if that's a reliable work around or just part of the 10% to 20% of the time it doesn't hang. I really don't want to start a podcast and then pause after every time I sync.

Collapse -
My Nano is 2nd Gen...
by Slikkster / March 29, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Sync doesn't help

Thanks for responding. I did read other reports that the workaround you mention --playing for a couple of seconds after dragging/syncing--might alleviate the condition. But as you said, it's something that shouldn't need to be done.

You'd think that the industry leader would have this worked out by now.

Collapse -
have you tried hard resetting?
by robstak / March 29, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

when you are talking about rebooting are you doing this?

(from appledocs)
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Collapse -
Yes, that's the procedure
by Slikkster / March 29, 2008 6:55 AM PDT

And it has to be done every day. Keep in mind this is the third iPod with this issue, all Gen 2 Nanos.

Collapse -
Same problem here...
by paintguru / March 29, 2008 8:28 AM PDT

...very annoying. I refuse to find a "work around" for something that should not be a problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?