Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Annoying and ILLEGAL telemarketing calls

It's annoying enough that telemarketers now try to get around the new "do not call" law by claiming to be conducting surveys, but last night my phone rang at around 9:15 PM:

CALLER: Hi, is this Josh?

ME: Who's calling? (I never acknowledge being who they're looking for until I know who they are.)

CALLER: Well, my boss says that if you don't take this survey he's gonna beat me over the head with a baseball bat, so....

ME (interrupting): I guess you'd better tell your boss to start taking some practice swings because it's against the law for you to be making these calls after 9 PM and I want my number off your call list NOW.

{click}

The drag with cordless phones is that you can't slam the receiver down. Clicking the little button just doesn't have the same impact.

I wonder if he got that beating. Jerk.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying and ILLEGAL telemarketing calls
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying and ILLEGAL telemarketing calls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not only that...

In reply to: Annoying and ILLEGAL telemarketing calls

the bad news is...

kRINNNNNG.......plus they now text message you on your cell phone which is a costly, "NIGHTMARE".

If you say, "Take a Hike in Texas", expect another call in few hours. Ahhhh!

How'd they do? I find cc:, bcc'ing an extra seconds of task to do in a newsletter more over spend time to send gazillions of emails out...

Well, apparently, these telemarketers makes big bucks from companies that pays them to hassle people. Ahhhh how --- I was told they use a special software or program designed to collect or locate email address from their database, plus they'll use a combination of letters and numbers taking chances that when these numbers scrambles itself in the system it will eventually come up with a valid email somewhere along the line.

What a rat! but then again, hmmmm... an easy and fast money and minimal labor cost especially when it's an automated answering computer voice.

CL

Collapse -
Worse than that, Josh,...

...is what's happening here in Indiana. A couple years ago, we enacted the nation's most stringent "do not call" legislation, and all was good until the Feds passed their own law.

Now, the telemarketer scum are back, stating that since the (MUCH less stringent) Federal law takes priority over the state law, they are authorized to ruin Hoosiers' formerly quiet evenings...:-(

Collapse -
They telemarket me at work

(illegal) and try it at home once in a while. I am constantly reminded that all of this would stop if it wasn't for the stupid people that buy from these vultures and give out their credit card number to phone calls they didn't originate or check out. Grow up People and they will dry up.

Collapse -
Discover Card

They tried 3 times to get me last night, and 2 of them were after 9pm my local time. Once I just hung up on them when they asked for me, since it was a voice I didn't recognize. I figure if it's someone that I really need to talk to they will call back immediately. Later Discover called again and got my 5 yr old, and hung up on her quickly. Nice people, just left her there saying "hello....?" Finally the second call after 9pm and my wife picked it up from her sickbed (flu). If I'd realized it was them again I'd been on the phone and they'd not wanted to hear what I had to say. I'd tell them I was star 57 them and reporting them to the police and would they like to give me their name so I could pass that information along too? I want to prove they call me more than one time after 9pm on numerous days, and star 57 is the easiest way to make an official record that police can access. I'm really beginning to hate telephones, period. I don't have a cell phone and never really hope to do so. The only reason I'd want one is for emergency use, I've contemplated getting one of those 911 type phones that only allow calls out, no incoming calls.

Collapse -
To make it clear

In reply to: Discover Card

I don't have a Discover card, they are trying to get me to take one from them, which I don't need, nor do I want.

Collapse -
I once had one. It was one continuous fiasco. The last was

In reply to: To make it clear

when they refused a charge while I was in the check out line at Sam's Club. Since I had missed a payment, I was waiting for the next billing cycle. They decided they should stop accepting charges. I went home, called them, and told them to put that card where the sun doesn't shine.

Collapse -
Did similar to me.

Except it wasn't for missed payment. I took a trip back to Florida to visit family and while there one card quit working. Thankfully I had another one and used it instead. When I got back I called them to complain and they said it was their policy to stop charges on out of state purchases unless I'd filed information with them that I'd be using the card there, or some such crap. I think that was First USA, a card I no longer use.

Recently I had Bank One and it was passed off to Chase. One evening I sent my oldest to get some gas in one of our 4 vehicles. She came back and said the card wouldn't work there or another station she tried. So, back on the phone to find out what's the matter. I was told they felt the amount of gas being bought on the card was excessive (ha! this at a time of increased prices!!) and was worried it might be stolen, tripped across their security software or something. On that one I was furious and basically told them how stupid their software was since the charges would all have been at our regular fillup places and that it was for 4 drivers and vehicles. Hopefully they have that in their file now and their program adjusts accordingly.

It's getting ridiculous.

Collapse -
Credit card security features ...

In reply to: Did similar to me.

... damned if you do and damned if you don't. I have an MBNA card that has been denied because my travel patterns trip their security measures. It's a PITA as it always seems to happen during high call volume times at customer service. But I guess I prefer it to the alternative. I just wish they would have them ask for alternate ID or something rather than friggin declining my purchase! Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
My main card is from USAA and I love it. I've NEVER had a

In reply to: Did similar to me.

problem with USAA, and they don't charge late fees. You do have to have been in the military to get a USAA card. Unfortunately, they don't offer business accounts so I've recently had to get accounts at Bankone which is another challenged organization.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't get calls, unlisted number

Collapse -
Same here, Duckman

In reply to: (NT) I don't get calls, unlisted number

I have had an unlisted number for many years. On occasion I would get an unsolicited call, but even that has stopped since I added my number to the DNC list.

The unlisted number costs me a dollar extra a month. Has been well worth it, IMO. If someone needs it, they get it, otherwise not. It also gets rid of the Internet listings that you can use to search for someone by name or phone number, such as anywho.com. That right there is worth the buck a month and more!

Collapse -
I get VERY few unsolicited calls,

In reply to: Same here, Duckman

Except from the random dialers that are used. And those ANNOYING pre-recorded calls from politicians. If you want me to vote for the other guy, call my house!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
I thought ...

In reply to: Same here, Duckman

... they couldn't charge for the unlisted number anymore? Unlisted came "standard" for my parents cable phone number.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They can charge for air if they wanted to !

In reply to: I thought ...

Collapse -
I just remember there being some flap ...

In reply to: (NT) They can charge for air if they wanted to !

... back when the "telephone company" was the only game in town, that charging NOT to have your number listed violated something or other and they disallowed that charge. I dunno, I look at what my parents are now paying for their phone through the cable company and I want to throw up! I pay only a few dollars less a month for my basic line and no frills once the taxes are all added in, and would pay for LD calls if I made them (even within the state those charges kick in pretty quickly). A similar package to what my folks have through our phone company would cost almost twice as much once the taxes are added on! We use the cell phones for long distance.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Beats me, Evie

In reply to: I thought ...

I think we pay WAY TOO much for phone service (crappy service, at that) around here as it is. CenturyTel has a monopoly here, except for cell phone service. The lines are old and it truly makes it difficult for not only regular phone usage but also Internet. As you know, I work for a local computer store part-time. We offer dial-up service and a "wireless" broadband (uses an antenna to bounce off a nearby mountain to our server and then on to our T1 line). CenturyTel really messes up our dial-up because we rely on them, also. We don't even have a full service phone company office here anymore. They closed that down several years ago and all we have now are 4 service guys. (end of rant Wink )

I guess they figure it is easier to keep your number a secret than not. As I stated above, a buck a month is worth it to keep my phone number and address off the Internet listings.

Collapse -
The problem with an unlisted number is that nobody can find

In reply to: (NT) I don't get calls, unlisted number

you. My High School alma mater had a big celebration for the football team I was on when I attended the school. Several of the guys couldn't be notified because we couldn't find them. Many of these were probably unlisted numbers.

Same problem with relatives, close or distant, trying to find you. They can't find you either.

Before the federal no call list, I relied on an answering machine to screen calls. That was quite effective. With the no call list, we don't even get many of those anymore. Of those we do talk to, we have a golden rule. We don't make contributions or purchases on the phone. Send it in the mail, and we'll have a look at it (maybe). After awhile, they seem to start getting the message.

Collapse -
Re: Nobody can find you

In reply to: The problem with an unlisted number is that nobody can find

I guess I have had this same number for so long now that I don't really run across such difficulties. In fact, since our area is so small, if someone can't find me they just call my folks and ask them for my number Happy

Collapse -
Of course, if they couldn't find you,

In reply to: Re: Nobody can find you

you would never know. Right?

That reminds me of auditors in business. They can pat themselves on the back for preventing fraud, but what about the ones they don't know about?

Collapse -
We let the answering machine pick it up. It's even more

effective than the federal law. We have, however. had some diehards who left their patter even there. The new machine can instantly delete these calls without having to listen to them.

Collapse -
We usually screen calls via our answering machine too....

In reply to: We let the answering machine pick it up. It's even more

....but I didn't want the ringing to wake our daughter so I picked up the phone. Also, these people had been calling for days (CallerID even identified it as "Public Opinion somethingorother") and I wanted to put an end to it.

An unlisted number would be a good idea, I guess.

Collapse -
You have cable right?

In reply to: We usually screen calls via our answering machine too....

My folks got phone through their cable. All the bells and whistles (voice mail, caller ID, etc.) for "free" along with unlisted number and NO annoying telemarketers, not to mention unlimited long distance for a fixed monthly charge. I guess the downside is you don't have phone when the power goes out, but that's what the extra cell phone line we got for Dad is for.

Collapse -
The point being,...

In reply to: We let the answering machine pick it up. It's even more

...people tend not to screen calls at night like they do in the day. Instead of cutting it off to see if they immediately redial (most telemarketers don't), or waiting for the answer phone to get it, we tend to pick it up expecting at that time of the night for it to be family or a friend.

Has anyone noticed an increased in East Indian voices on those telemarketing calls? They are outsourcing their boiler rooms now to India? Not suprising I guess, considering the business.

My normal method to deal with them since they most use programmed dialing is every call in the daytime gets the line picked up and immediately cutoff. Family and friends know to redial, the telemarketers move directly to the next number on their list.

Collapse -
Not that I suspect it will help

The ones I dislike most are ones where I am asked for by my first name or some one says "Is this .....?" or even "Hello, .....?". I will ask I know them or they know me personally. The answer is always "no" or they will attempt to avoid answering. If they don't just hang up at this point (and they often do), I tell them they have failed the basic telephone courtesy test and invite them to call back when they learn to properly use the phone. I never hear back.:)

Collapse -
While I agree that they can be...

both annoying and illegal the legality of "it's against the law for you to be making these calls after 9 PM" would have to be adjudged because the individual may well have been calling from a different time zone and even from a different country not bound by local or even federal laws.

Then again I personally tend to look at it differently because altghough the pay is low for those callers at least they are working and not on welfare regardless of where they are located.

Collapse -
The legality is based on the time zone.....

In reply to: While I agree that they can be...

....of the person being called, not the time zone of the person calling. This caller did not have a foreign accent and as I recall, the phone number he was calling from came up on my CallerID (a US number). If it was coming from overseas it probably would have said "Out of area" or something like that.

Collapse -
Im receiving Calls..

at 6:00am here,ridiculous!Before my breakfast,or my first cup of coffee..Being awaken first thing in am with a dang telemarketer grr.They hear some not so nice remarks too.Asked not to Call again..Wait a week then it starts again.Use to be blocked,now seems they getting around that!Had message on answering machine,please return this call,this is NOT a telemarketing co.

Collapse -
I've been told, but not sure it's true...

In reply to: Im receiving Calls..

...that if you have a fax machine on there when they call, they change that number to a list only for fax, gets removed from the voice listings. My Dad's business fax phone, rarely got attempted voice connects. Maybe a cheapie fax stuck on the line after normal calls, or have your computer fax program pickup incoming calls at those hours will get you off some lists. If nothing else it might pay a few of them back if they don't have signal recognition equipment on their automatic dialers.

Collapse -
I hardly get a one

I'm on the DNC list and I have anonymous call rejection.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.