Laptops forum

General discussion

Annoyed Student.

by Flipdan92 / March 31, 2010 4:21 PM PDT

I am looking for the cheapest laptop that could handle something I would be needing for school and personal business. My budget is somewhere from $400-800, if the laptop you recommend is higher price, it would be ok, because i could wait to save some money.

I am looking to run
Adobe CS4 Master Collection
Adobe Lightroom

Steam games:
CS 1.6
CSS
DODS

I can't find anything that is a good bang-for-the-buck

I am also looking to upgrade the laptop in the future so that I won't need to buy a new one.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoyed Student.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoyed Student.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In reverse order.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Annoyed Student.

I don't see your price range laptop as upgradeable. Maybe you can pop in more RAM but we are already getting 4 and more GB RAM where 2 is fine today.

The GAMER LAPTOPS should see you looking at 3D chipsets with 1GB video ram. What machines in your country do you find with that?

As to price, why limit yourself? Maybe you should ask this to be 199 bucks? That is, you may price yourself out of the gamer's laptop. Maybe you need to forget games.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok, Forget Games.
by Flipdan92 / April 1, 2010 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: In reverse order.

Ok, lets say forget games then. No games at all. Just personal business.

I want to be able to upload photos from my DSLR (pentax k-x) so i'll probably need a SDHC reader.

I also want to edit videos, photos, make websites all those things will be done with Adobe software.

So what laptop is good for that? What's the price range on laptops like that?

Collapse -
Literally hundreds of choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2010 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, Forget Games.

At the top of this forum is the post with laptop pickers. I need to update that to include newegg.com's site. Go there and click on laptops. On the left side put in your price and then try for an Intel i5 CPU if not a i3. Should be dozens of choices.
Bob

Collapse -
AMD
by Flipdan92 / April 1, 2010 5:46 AM PDT

Can i ask what AMD is good for?

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2010 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: AMD

But I don't enter into that discussion. I stick with what I use at the office. If they get your price and more, why not?

Collapse -
Video Question
by Flipdan92 / April 1, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: AMD

Also, just found out...

What would be better for me?

Shared Video Memory or Dedicated?

Remember, i'll be editing photos, videos, and most photos will be printed. So something that will work fast with a bunch of effects at 300 dpi. Don't want any slowing down...

Collapse -
For editing photos.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2010 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Video Question

My son got the Sony nw240f and it's super at photo editing. Anyone that claims video quality is a factor of video ram may need more seasoning. This is all about the display, the backlight and the video DAC.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.