Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Annouying water drop sound when using internet.

by keithb / November 15, 2004 4:24 AM PST

How can I get rid of annouying water drop sound when using the internet. I have Windows XP home edition, and use MSN latest version (I Believe is MSN9) and I have Verizon DSL. When opening a page or when page is loading,or when using msn gaming, I get that damn annouying sound!!! Can anyone tell me how to shut it off!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annouying water drop sound when using internet.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annouying water drop sound when using internet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Annouying water drop sound when using internet.
by Mark5019 / November 15, 2004 6:21 AM PST

go to control panel sounds and turn off that sound

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 6:51 AM PST

Yep, I bet you have a sound configured to play whenever an internet page loads up.

Goto Start > Settings > Control Panel, double click "Sounds & Audio Devices", and in the SOunds tab, scroll down and check, (play), each action that has a loudspeaker icon against it in the croll list.

When you highlight each action, you can then click the play button, (arrow button).

I bet it's one of those.

Mark

Collapse -
by keithb / November 16, 2004 5:28 AM PST

Thanks mark5019 I will try that, and let you know how it turns out.

Collapse -
by viperone / November 15, 2004 3:50 PM PST

Hi !

I am sure that the sound is related to the built-in pop-up blocker in in SP2.
In the top of your IE window you can find a menu with settings for the pop-up blocker.
Disable "sound when blocking".

Good luck Happy
Viper

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 11:51 PM PST

Hmm that's interesting viper.

I've only installed SP2 myself in the last few days and didn't realise about the pop-up sounds.

Thanks

Mark

Collapse -
by wmarkey / December 11, 2004 8:14 AM PST

Given the time elapsed since the last posting on this issue, I suppose you have already solved your "water drop sound" problem. However, I encountered a water drop sound while using IE 6.0.28 SP1 in Windows 2000 and elimiated it by turning off the sound in the CookiePatrol function of PestPatrol. I hope this information helps shorten someone else's misery. I suffered this water torture for about a week before I inadvertantly ran across the solution.

Collapse -
THANK YOU WMARKEY
by stealthnewt / December 18, 2004 2:27 PM PST

W Markey thank you so much for the post about the water sound coming from pest patrol. I was just about going insane when I read your post and the problem is fixed. many thanks.

Collapse -
water drop sound
by scoot / December 18, 2004 6:13 PM PST

Do you have a pop up stopper installed. Some, like Pest Patrol, makes the sound when it stops cookies but it can be turned off in the program setting

Collapse -
Annouying water drop sound when using internet....Be Glad
by dlgrimm / December 19, 2004 4:20 AM PST

This sound may be coming from your system only if a yellow information bar pops up in your window or it can be coming in from your ISP service or DSL Provider in any case this sound which I admit can be annoying at times or in your case all of the time, is an alert to let you know that pop-up ads and or harmful content such as certain Active X applications has been blocked. This can be useful if you need certain controls then you can adjust for them.

Collapse -
continued on water drop
by brillopado / October 12, 2008 1:38 PM PDT

i had the damn water drop sound for about two days and found where it was coming from, if you have pestpatrol on your computer, in the pestpatrol file there is a wav sound that is called cookiecrunch. thats the sound, if you just delete if from recycle bin it should take care of your water drop. the file for those who dont know can be found in c drive under program files.

>gotta go

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!