Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anne Coulter's healthcare plan...

by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

Makes more sense than Obama's.

http://www.anncoulter.com/

In the first sentence, Congress will amend the McCarran-Ferguson Act to allow interstate competition in health insurance.

We can't have a free market in health insurance until Congress eliminates the antitrust exemption protecting health insurance companies from competition. If Democrats really wanted to punish insurance companies, which they manifestly do not, they'd make insurers compete.

The very next sentence of my bill provides that the exclusive regulator of insurance companies will be the state where the company's home office is. Every insurance company in the country would incorporate in the state with the fewest government mandates, just as most corporations are based in Delaware today.

and so on...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anne Coulter's healthcare plan...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anne Coulter's healthcare plan...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bit pointless at the moment
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 11:15 AM PDT

Obama won.

"Much as I admire Obama's use of terminally ill human beings as political props"

She admires him? LOL

Mark

Collapse -
There's a thing called "irony"...
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

You know, like she was being sarcastic. It doesn't work if you need to have the jokes explained to you.

The fact that Obama "won" justifies all? Gee, history is full of examples of people who "won" only to wreak havoc on their people.

Collapse -
True.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 8:56 PM PDT

It's very ironic.

Where the joke failed for me though is why you posted it in the first place. Given the number of anti-Obama Health Bill threads currently on the go in these forums, I would have guessed your intention was 'other than' sarcasm.

Thanks for putting me right. I can see it now, LOL.

Mark

Collapse -
Why you posted it in the first place...
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: True.

Very relevant and germane to the news of the day, especially in view of the health care vote AND the anti-Coulter hate posts here on SE.

I would have guessed your intention was 'other than' sarcasm.

It wasn't MY line, it was hers. And YOU are the one who pointed it out. DUH!

Instead of attacking me or her, why not address the substance of what she is saying, if you can?

Collapse -
That will be Obama's Campaign slogan for 2012
by Mike_Hanks / March 22, 2010 9:26 PM PDT

"I won, pound sand"
Seems to already be the idea of plenty on the left

Collapse -
Ann Coulter has a particular gift for unfelicitous phrasing.
by Ziks511 / March 22, 2010 1:03 PM PDT

And sarcasm, which Ms Coulter embraces and uses like an axe, is in no way the equivalent of irony which most of the time passes right through its target unnoticed, but clearly visible to people around the target.

Example, "Passing Health Care is about as likely as Cornell making it to the "Sweet Sixteen" in NCAA Basketbal;."

Rob

Collapse -
The difference between Sarcasm and Irony
by Ziks511 / March 22, 2010 6:05 PM PDT

"Sarcasm is the rhetorical device of using a characterization of something or someone in order to express contempt. It comes from the ancient Greek σαρκάζω (sarkazo) meaning 'to tear flesh' but the ancient Greek word for the rhetorical concept of taunting was instead χλευασμός (chleyasmόs). Sarcasm appears several times in the Old Testament, for example:

" 'Lo, you see the man is mad; why then have you brought him to me? Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this fellow to play the madman in my presence?'[/u}
?Achish, king of Gath, I Sam 21:10-15[2]"

"Henry Watson Fowler, in The King's English, says ?any definition of irony ? though hundreds might be given, and very few of them would be accepted ? must include this, that the surface meaning and the underlying meaning of what is said are not the same.
" such as saying :that sweet tempered and even handed commentator and gentle critic Ann Coulter.

"Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?