Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

anit virals and optical vs track ball wireless mice.

If I am in the wrong place to post these questions could you please redirect me.

Have been using e trust from computer associates as my antiviral. Is there a good free program to replace this?

Where would i find the pros and cons on an optical vs a trackball wireless mouse. what are the pros and cons of a wireless keyboard?

Paula

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anit virals and optical vs track ball wireless mice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anit virals and optical vs track ball wireless mice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: anit virals and optical vs track ball wireless mice.

In reply to: anit virals and optical vs track ball wireless mice.

Anti-virus: free AVG from www.grisoft.com is very popular on this forum. But Avast (www.avast.com) is being used also. And, of course, some online-scanners if resident antivirus is suspected.
A complete list: http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

Optical mouse works on every surface. Trackball mouse prefers mousepad. Trackball mouse must be cleaned regularly. Wired moused need no batteries, and are less prone to being misplaced somewhere. I think a wireless optical mouse needs more batteries than a trackball equivalent. And a wireless mouse isn't likely to work in safe-mode (only a regular ps/2-mouse is supported then). A wireless mouse is somewhat easier to use because of not having a cord.

I can't see any advantages in a wireless keyboard, unless you hate the cord on your (real!) desktop.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: anit virals and optical vs track ball wireless mice.

Kees
Thanks , I knew I could count on you.Happy
If a wireless mouse wont run in safe mode; will a wireless keyboard?
As my eyes are aging, I seem to like to be further and further back from the screen, and wind up tripping myself with the cords or knocking the equipment to the floor.
Paula

Collapse -

Paula,

Everything using usb or bluetooth will not work in Safe Mode. So you have to keep an 'old' mouse and keyboard ready to use if you need to go into Safe Mode or boot into MS-DOS to do a scanreg /restore (maybe once in 3 years?). Don't throw them away.

If you've got good reasons to use these devices, do so. Be sure the system requirements include Windows 98 as a supported OS.
But I don't fully understand your problem. After all, you will still need something (like a desktop) to put the keyboard and the mouse on. And they are not connected to the monitor, so you should be able to put that anywhere you want, whatever keyboard and mouse you have. A bigger monitor (set to a not too high resolution) might be another solution to your needs, but that definitely cost more money. Anyway, you know better what you want and need than I do, of course.

Most wireless mouses have a rechargeable battery, so you won't have more problems with that than with your DECT telephone, your electric toothbrush or your mobile phone.

Summarizing, I don't see any good reason for you not to buy it, if you feel you need it.

Kees

Collapse -

Kees
In the scheme of things when I was rearranging to get ready to try the wireless devices, I moved my tower and the cords for the mouse and keyboard. This now allows me to be about 6 feet away from the monitor. It is working fine and I am not going to mess with a good thing. The wireless things I found though, were not usb, but were ps 2. Dont know if the same problems would apply. I also tried out several mice and found , that for most of them the angle and size would most likely produce a carpal tunnel irritation as i have a very small hand.
However, after uninstalling the wireless keyboard driver and downloading the driver from hp for my 4 year old multi media keyboard (original to this hp8670c computer with 98 second) I reset the keyboard shortcut keys and restarted the computer. The keyboard manager shows the correct sites, but the assigned short cut keys do not work. nor do the ones that are preset to hp or help. The standard keys work and so does numbers lock and numbers keypad. If you have any suggestions?
thanks
Paula

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.