Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Animation problem

I have had one problem resolved (thank you). Now on to the second. I have a Gateway (A 1999 I think)with Windows 98 SE, Pentium 333,Intel Celeron and use Firefox browser. I have installed Java 1.5, Adobe Flash Player 11, Adobe Shockwave Player 9 and Windows Player 9. All mentioned are the latest I can get for my OS. My problem is flash won't work in e cards. I can play most videos only if sent as attachment in emails not on any web site. I have run scan disk, reg cleaner, defrag, system checker, Dr.Watson, anti virus programs and checked device manager. I would appreciate any help. I can't afford a new pc nor any software. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Animation problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Animation problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think that's right.

In reply to: Animation problem

The latest encoded content no longer plays on Windows 95, 98, ME machines.

You might get around this with other players such as VLC PLAYER but you're right. And there is little hope they'll issue a new player or plugin for these older OSes.

Flash Player 11 does not list this OS -> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Flash 10 does not list 98 -> http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/index.html

Flash 9 does list Windows 98 and ME and what I'm finding is that new content may not work on this one.
Bob

Collapse -
I think that's right

In reply to: I think that's right.

I agree with two of those links but the first (Adobe Shockwave Player 11 ) is listed further down the page. I have it installed in mt programs files. Would help or be possible to update my driver or just find another one altogether? Thanks.

Collapse -
Shock and Flash are not the same.

In reply to: I think that's right

I must not write what each is but you noted Flash 11 and it refused to install on a Windows 98 box. I offered the links to show what they ended at.

Not that it helps fix the issue but it does explain it.

And as to the last question, why don't you try? While I know better than to do that if you have nothing more to try then go right ahead.

Have you considered Linux?
Bob

Collapse -
Linux

In reply to: Shock and Flash are not the same.

Sounds like you don't think updating or getting a new driver is such a hot idea. As for Linux I have heard it mentioned but don't know a blooming thing about it. If I understand it right it is a system similar to Windows 98 se or IE? How much room will it take up and would I still be able to use Firefox? Question might sound silly but I am asking anyway as I am not anywhere near expert at this sort of stuff. Thanks.

Collapse -
Try Ubuntu.

In reply to: Linux

Ubuntu is available as a bootable no-install-required-CD. Firefox works the same there as in Windows so there is zero learning involved. Same for other applications. The bootable CD no-install-required is your quick ticket to see if your hardware is supported.

As to Flash, Shock the issue is not one of drivers but of Flash, Shock versions for this OS and the content that requires a new version. I wrote my answer that way because some take offense if I tell them to not bother directly. So I'll write "sure, try it" since it's a great way to learn it first hand.

Here's a link about Ubuntu Linux -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Collapse -
Maybe.....from a w98 user.

In reply to: I think that's right

The last versions of adobe that work with this old OS are.

Flash player........9
Shockwave player....10

Shockwave player 11 will/did install....but it won't work.

If you have shockwave 11 installed...you might want to uninstall that version.

Reinstall shockwave 10 if needed and test....verify it functions.

This may have nothing to do with your issue....but it might bite you in the butt in the future.

Collapse -
maybe

In reply to: Maybe.....from a w98 user.

Thanks a lot. I will consider your suggestions and hope all goes according to plan.

Collapse -
maybe

In reply to: Maybe.....from a w98 user.

I found these messages in my Firefox error console. Warning: Unknown property '_height'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/css/rb/tron/matrix.css
Line: 3272Security and and huge bunch more in the same vein. I could copy all of them if you need the rest, but only the one following error .Error: Content at http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/html/rb/js/tron/forums/forums.tron.global.compressed.js may not load data from http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6618_102-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=322521&messageID=2938742&tag=forum-w;forums06#2938742.

Collapse -
Don't worry about it.

In reply to: maybe

I see the same.

I suppose some techno-weenie type could explain what all those messages mean....all I know is everything still works.

Doubt it has anything to do with your issue of e-cards.

I was going to offer to try and play your e-card on this w98 machine but it seems the 'e-mail this member' feature has vanished....oh well.

Collapse -
Won't worry

In reply to: Don't worry about it.

I think I have found where to find out what's been going on. I used IE at my favorite e card site (that hasn't been working too well) and the cards loaded. Then I checked help with Firefox. I am almost sure there lies most of the trouble. However, while trying to install a compatible version of Quick Time player I still got the message of a DLL not working. My Glary registry program found a lot of entries for Quick Time. Do you think it would be safe to remove them from my registry? For now I think I will leave things as are. I really appreciate all the help you have offered. I wish you a Happy New Year.

Collapse -
Opinion

In reply to: Won't worry

I have not found reg cleaner type progs to be of much value.

They remove 10's or 100's of entries but I don't see any positive difference....I have seen some negative things.

Your mileage may vary.

If you play in this area and then the machine won't boot to normal or safe mode.....now what?

What's the restore plan?

Collapse -
Better safe than crash

In reply to: Opinion

You're right. I'm not familiar enough with reg keys to monkey with them. I don't think that reg keys are most of my problems any more anyway since I tested my new theory on IE vs Firefox. It's somewhere in my Firefox settings. I'd most likely bet on that. If so, that still doesn't explain why some programs refuse to install (using IE or Firefox) because of a DLL not working. I'm going to think about that next Monday. Going to get rid of some stress by taking the weekend off and go sailing for a couple of days. Will check in when I get back. Thanks for all your help so far.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!