General discussion

Animation

I am a fourth grade teacher and have been trying to figure out a way my students and I could do some simple animation, using either claymation or more traditional drawings. I need to find a camera that can shoot single frames. I would really like to be able to do this without using a computer, so the kids could see the product quickly. I did this years ago using a Super8 camera. Is this possible and easy? Remember, 8-10 year-olds.

Thanks

Barry Marshall

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Animation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Animation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
"The animation mode is really cool, it allows to to take one
- Collapse -
Amazing Software for 3D Animation at an affordable price
- Collapse -
Web Cam process

One of the easiest methods to carry out stop motion is by using a PC with a Web Cam. I use Corel's VideoStudio Pro X9 and my web cam set on a small tripod. VS Pro has a StopMotion option which gives control over the number of frames exposed for each shot, (One shot cameras can take forever to create even one second of video) I normally set to 5 frames per shot (clearly you can experiment from 1 frame to 30 frames per shot). There is an "onion skin" option to show the latest move compared to the last moves so you can control the variations of movement between each shot. The final video is stored directly in the PC for future editing. (adding sound, voice over and music etc.) VideoStudio will do everything you want.
There are a number of good HD web cams on the market and I use mine connected to a USB extension cable with an amplifier in the cable end socket to boost the signal. The control of the process is at the PC end so one team could be at the camera and the other controlling the PC and shot gathering.

I suggest that this may be a much better way of filming Stop Motion than using a camera. With VideoStudio, Stop Motion is available in earlier editions X8 and X7 which, now X9 is out, can be bought very reasonably from sites like Amazon.

CNET Forums