Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Angeline & Gramps Holocene told me my FL beachfront is toast

by Catgic / November 15, 2004 8:02 PM PST

Angeline, you and Gramps warned me to hurry up and sell my FL beachfront digs and now 300 scientists are on my case too.

National Geographic reports that 300 scientists have "moderately estimated" that "low-lying coastal areas in Florida and Louisiana could be flooded by the sea. A 1.5 feet (50-centimeter) rise in sea level could cause the coastline to move 150 feet (45 meters) inland, resulting in substantial economic, social, and environmental impact in low-lying areas."

Holy Moly Mammoth, Maw! Shocked

The scientists reportedly used a number of climate models which predict future emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are contributing to the recent warming trend of the Earth's climate.

Uncle Nathan Bedford Forrest told us the South Will Rise Again. I never dreamed Uncle Nat meant the South Space Coast's ocean levels would rise again. Were in luck though, cuz good Unc'l Gen'l told us to save that trunk full of Confederate money he bequeath us so we can be sure to "Git thar Fustest wit the Mostest." Uncle Nat, last time I checked we still had it in the attic.

Maybe the Gen'l meant "Git ta the Dakotas wit the Mostest Confederate moneyz." I better bring an AWOL bay full of those Jeff Davis mini-portrait "Blue Backs" with us, Thanksgiving week, when my bride and I will be on vacation in the Dakotas looking for a prime high and dry building site.

I wonder, will sun glasses & beachwear become IN and bib overalls become OUT in Dakotan Society? Cool

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Angeline & Gramps Holocene told me my FL beachfront is toast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Angeline & Gramps Holocene told me my FL beachfront is toast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Angeline & Gramps Holocene told me my FL beachfront is t
by EdH / November 15, 2004 8:24 PM PST

Better hurry. You only have until 2099 (if they are right).

Collapse -
Re: FL beachfront -- 25% of world pop to be flooded out...

by most models, and Bush says we should just "learn to live" with global warming. The man's ignorance is catastrophic, and he's now getting rid of the few intelligent folks in his administration (Powell), replacing them with hard-line ideologues with no clue about how the world really works. <sigh>

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
when did Bush say that?
by EdH / November 16, 2004 1:22 AM PST

I never heard it. Did Bush cause global warming? Why didn't Clinton solve it; he had eight years! What's your alternative to living with it; suicide?

Getting hysterical maybe?

Collapse -
Oh pray tell us Dave!
by Evie / November 16, 2004 9:31 PM PST

Which members of Bush's first term cabinet are up to snuff of your intelligence test? Disagreement with your political philosophy doesn't make one less intelligent. In the cases where you seem to accept outright falsehoods as the truth, one might even venture to say it makes them more intelligent.

BTW, Powell's replacement will be Dr. Condoleeza Rice. By any objective measure she is not only his intellectual equal, but quite possibly his superior. I see no intelligence letting going on!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / November 15, 2004 11:54 PM PST

Hi, JP!

Well, in the 19th century an earthquake struck TN, and created Reelfoot Lake. The Mississippi River also flowed backwards, so it was not a quake of low magnitude.:-)

On the basis of the large area of damage (600,000 square kilometers), the widespread area of perceptibility (5,000,000 square kilometers), and the complex physiographic changes that occurred, the Mississippi River valley earthquakes of 1811-1812 rank as some of the largest in the United States since its settlement by Europeans. The area of strong shaking associated with these shocks is two to three times larger than that of the 1964 Alaska earthquake and 10 times larger than that of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/usa/1811-1812.html

But folks made the best of it, and enjoy the benefits of the lake,

I have felt minor quakes 3 times over the past 40 years here.

On top of that, I live in tornado country.

Hurricanes can be predicted, tornadoes expected, and quakes anticipated, so most of us live under some sort of threat from Mother Nature. There are some pretty good steps that can be taken to lessen the impacts of them, however. But at this point in time we cannot control them, much less prevent them.

But I'm one who would hate for you to sell your beachfront home, so I'd like to have steps taken to prevent the sea level from rising.

Once I read a theory that the coral shelf under Florida would one day snap off due to all the development there. I reckon that would create an island or two as the pieces floated away. But I think FL has enough beachfront property already. Happy

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Gramps Holocene, Naturaleza de Madre & Earth Mother Angeline
by Catgic / November 16, 2004 8:36 AM PST

As Me Maw used to say, ?Bright Eyes, Life is a Beach.?

Earthquakes? Been there in ?em & thru ?em in CA, IL, HI, AK & Japan. Hurricanes-Typhoons & Tornado-Cyclones? Done that in FL, IL, TN, TX, the Caribbean and West Pacific with recent quadruple cyclonic calamities AUG-OCT. Tsunamis? Evacuated to high ground in HI & Japan. Monsoons? Flew and steamed through ?em. Avalanches & Blizzards? Skied around ?em and drove thru ?em. Floods? Rolled up my trousers at time or two. Volcanos? Been cookin? with them in HI, WA, Italy & Japan too.

Global Warming? BRING IT ON! Errant Mega-meteors? BRING ?EM ON TOO! Pheew Angeline, I?m getting worn out. A slight tweaking on Mega-meteors?as long as their not made of Kryptonite...the "Big K" causes me problems.

As you said, Angeline, folks make the best of it by enjoying the unintended benefits and consequences. I was born on Joseph's Seal Date, so my bio-clock is a classic unit, but it will loose the race against the 21st Century Global Warming geo-clock every time.

It?s much like dog years vs. human years. Cobaka, my favorite old Great Dane, got 10+ fine years of dawggie doings. [The formula is: 10.5 dog years per human year for the first 2 dog years, then 4 dog years per human year for each subsequent year]. Cobaka made ~55. I aiming to double his record, after the dawggie-to-human year conversion is done.

My friend Alfred E. and I agree on one thing?WHAT, ME WORRY?

Tick-tock?tick-tock?watch the clock.

Is that a cracking sound I hear under my beach blanket? Ibbity, ibbity, ibbity?that's all folks?Ker-Chunk-Splash!

JP Wink

Collapse -
by MKay / November 16, 2004 12:04 AM PST

"I wonder, will sun glasses & beachwear become IN and bib overalls become OUT in Dakotan Society?"

NO! start stocking up on bib overalls. (When in Rome)
Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)My Bride-For-Life sez OK They make designer Bib Overalls
by Catgic / November 16, 2004 8:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Figure out where the new coastline will be
by Dragon / November 16, 2004 5:42 AM PST

and buy some (soon-to-be) 'beachfront' property. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WILCO
by Catgic / November 16, 2004 8:59 AM PST
Collapse -
I don't understand
by Diana Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:50 PM PST

I understand that the ocean levels will rise if the Antartic melts because the ice is resting on land. But the Artic ice is on water. Why would the ocean levels rise if the water ice melts? Is there significant glacers on land in the Artic?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.