Question

Android market: 'item cannot be installed in your country'?

I live in the Caribbean and use a myTouch 4g. Last month I noticed that an app on my phone, MSN droid, was no longer working. I checked and it was missing from the market so I assumed that it had been removed because it didn't comply with market rules.
On searching for an alternate messaging app, however, I found that quite a few apps were missing, including eBuddy. I searched for any news that eBuddy had been removed from the app market but nothing came up. As my frustration built I looked for other ways to download it. I've found that though I can view eBuddy on the android market site instead of the market app, when I try to download it a message comes up saying "this item cannot be installed in your country"
On further investigation I came across numerous threads, including this one in the android market forums, showing that many other international android users have the same problem with numerous apps. Apparently Google has done little to nothing about this situation so far. Does anyone knows what's going on?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Android market: 'item cannot be installed in your country'?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Android market: 'item cannot be installed in your country'?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just an idea.

Why not go direct to the app author? Also, we are not limited to the Marketplace for apps (with exception of the ATT droids.)
Bob

- Collapse -
To add

there are many different app markets aside from the google app market to help you get around this.

- Collapse -
Alternate markets=viruses?

So far I've refrained from using other app markets for fear of viruses. Quite irrational, I know, since the android market itself is fraught with problems....
Also, the apps are all free.
I've been using this phone for about six months now and I've not yet rooted it. However these problems are so frustrating that rooting seems like a wonderful option now.
I'm now looking into downloading the .apk files to my PC first-what sites do you suggest?

- Collapse -
There aren't many.

We have the Amazon app store and Aproov but my advice is to not go nuts.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks-I contacted two (for eBuddy and the messenger app) but I haven't received any replies yet.

CNET Forums