HolidayBuyer's Guide

Android forum

General discussion

Android for business needs VPN / SSL app

by byronms / February 28, 2011 6:08 PM PST

I need a Cisco VPN client without rooting the operating system, business would jump at the chance to use it to securely connect phones or tablets and gain true mobility. There seems to be a problem between Cisco and Google on support for Android.
Is there any beta clients out there for Android 2.2 ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Android for business needs VPN / SSL app
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Android for business needs VPN / SSL app
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Didn't find one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 11:16 AM PST
Collapse -
VPN/ SSL Android Client
by byronms / March 2, 2011 6:21 PM PST
In reply to: Didn't find one.

As I thought all of the tablets will only be toys untill they offer secure connection to a business network. I heard the Cisco CIUS which runs Android will come with a client but I'm yet to see it. Is there a third party client which will work with Cisco VPN / SSL connection?

Collapse -
kind of
by tiberiumdj / March 3, 2011 5:32 AM PST

If your rooted yes there are some ways to connect to a Cisco VPN, I have never used the apps so I can't speak to how well they work.

As for an unrooted third party app that will connect to a Cisco VPN I have not seen one yet.

Collapse -
Have you read the Invented Here Syndrome?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2011 8:31 AM PST

Microsoft is betting that issues like this will drive the market their way.
Bob

PS. I'm not making that bet.

Collapse -
Microsoft is busy trying to take over the PABX market
by byronms / March 6, 2011 5:41 PM PST

I'm wishing this client comes out shortly as I have impatient clients looking for new hardware, remote connectivity (mix between 3G and satellite) to business apps.

Collapse -
Unbelievable
by sdonk757 / March 13, 2011 11:55 PM PDT

I've been tracking Google's blogs, and looking constantly to Cisco for some insight as to when they'll have an AnyConnect or Cisco VPN client for Android. Folks have been begging for this for the last year with no response from either party. How can you even think about competing in the business world without a IPSEC VPN client for Android? Anyone know something that we don't about this? Please fill us in.

FYI, iPod touch/iPhone has had this functionality since 2nd generation.

Collapse -
Believable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Unbelievable

Why must google implement this? Will it kill their market if they don't?

Why not let Microsoft and Apple have this part of the pie?
Bob

Collapse -
Understand
by sdonk757 / March 14, 2011 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Believable.

VPN capabilities are necessary for remote access to private networks, namely for remote administration and remote access to services only found on the company domain. Why hold back on deploying it? Microsoft and Apple? I think you need to go to Wikipedia and look up VPN - Virtual Private Network. This is key for business use, IMHO. Read some of the threads on Google's blogs, and you'll see just how important people think it is.

Collapse -
I see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Understand

But is it killing Google? Is it really?

Let me tip my hand a little. My apps started on PalmOS, then WinMo and now I'm getting hammered to move them to droid. Yes it's a big old company and no, VPN is a non-issue there.

My thought is it will happen soon but for those that can't wait there are non-droid solutions which is good news for Microsoft and Apple.
Bob

Collapse -
True
by sdonk757 / March 14, 2011 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I see it.

True, there are other options. As an administrator, I'm concerned that this isn't tops on Google's list. Guess I'm out of touch. It would be a great added feature for Android, just as it is for Apple/MS devices. I would dare say that most network/systems admins desire this and it IS tops on their list for Android.

Collapse -
And how about this VPN?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 3:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
How 'bout it
by sdonk757 / March 14, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

Yes, that's your basic PPTP VPN client. That will allow you to connect to a Microsoft VPN, or a simple VPN device. I'm talking enterprise class IPSEC VPN with group ID/pw, and secondary authentication via LDAP, etc. It would require Cisco VPN client, or Cisco AnyConnect client. What I'm really asking is, why, from the get-go did the iPhone/iPod touch have this (probably because of a licensing deal with Cisco) and Android did not. Did they think the Android users wouldn't want it?

Collapse -
Sure but one problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: How 'bout it

Cisco charged for that client. After the old biz I tipped my hand counted up the costs they looked and found no reason for paying for this. No, they are not a finance or health biz.

When Cisco wants this biz, I would make a bet it will happen. It's all about the green.
Bob

Collapse -
Agreed,
by sdonk757 / March 14, 2011 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure but one problem.

They didn't charge iPod/iPhone users for the functionality, it was built into Apple iOS. I don't care if it's free or paid on Android, as long as they do it. And soon, or I'll abandon Android for business and tell me users to go elsewhere for their mobile phones.

Collapse -
This is exactly what Microsoft and Apple are hoping for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed,

While interesting as this is, why bother with this platform if it's not ready for you?

Collapse -
Hopeful
by sdonk757 / March 14, 2011 5:05 AM PDT

Before I purchased the phone 8 months ago, there was a promise that the AnyConnect client would be out by EOY 2010. Didn't happen. Promise came from those close to Cisco and the industry, but still a no go. Great for Apple and MS, yes. Disappointing for me.

Collapse -
You gotta love...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed,

Apple's negotiating skills. I hope I never am on the other side of that table.

Here it's rough enough as an app person through the years on PalmOS, WinMo, and now droid. The only reason we didn't go Apple is the missing bluetooth SPP!

--> Sorry but for me the killer issue against iPhone, iPad and now WP7 is the lack of SPP!

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.