The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Android + Amazon = iTunes killer... fo sho!!!

by robstak / September 23, 2008 10:24 AM PDT

just figured id start a post about it...

It's interesting, but I think it's rly too early to speculate, but i bet there'll be a ton of e-pundits preaching an iDoomsday.

Looks like preliminary reports make it sound pretty luddite-proof. but i have to say the phone itself is pretty intimadting to common folk...

Maybe they can just co-exist...

i dunno whast do you guys and gals think?
-dr. karl

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Android + Amazon = iTunes killer... fo sho!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Android + Amazon = iTunes killer... fo sho!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iTunes killer--we'll see
by RobertK2of3 / September 23, 2008 1:15 PM PDT

I find that the big carriers are only interested in giving me what they want in a phone, instead of what I want. The past examples of locked-down features, Windows Mobile on everything (horrible OS), etc... demonstrate this, so Android could really be great--I could get a phone to do what I want it to do. I'm kind of psyched.

The T-Mobile phone is probably junk. T-Mobile doesn't have much 3G rolled out, so I don't think this particular phone will do much, but the next one (on other carriers) could rock! With a bunch of 3rd party apps. Heck, if Apple was really smart, they'd be working on an Android version of iTunes.

I'm not sure why this will kill iTunes, but it will eventually allow more people to have an iPhone-type phone without having to pay out to AT&T.

Also, Apple is killing themselves with all the stupid moves on the app store. Too restricting. Android could open things up if the big carriers can loosen their grip.

All this remains to be seen, but since you opened this to discussion, I figured I put in some opinion.

I'd really like to check one of these out -- without seeing the OS, its hard to tell, but I think the market is begging for something better than Win Mobile.

Collapse -
That's why...
by Nicholas Buenk / September 23, 2008 1:37 PM PDT

As the resident apple fanboy. Wink I'm very happy about google android, hopefully, it'll pressure apple into being more open.
Also the phone industry really needs a good OS and good competitor to the iphone, I don't think it'll be good for anyone to have an Apple monopoly.

Collapse -
Agreed
by RobertK2of3 / September 23, 2008 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: That's why...

Agreed, we need more good phones. The iPhone is pretty great and is cleaning up in the market, but more decent alternatives would allow more consumers to get more from their phones -- boosting the industry and technology.

If Android is really what it claims to be, it could revolutionize the American cell-phone industry. Maybe even I, a lowly Sprint subscriber, could get an iPhone-like phone or maybe something even better.

{Sniff} I thought I was the resident Apple fanboy! Wink

Collapse -
Erm
by Nicholas Buenk / September 25, 2008 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Agreed
Collapse -
Kill iTunes? Hardly. But it will give Amazon a big boost
by minimalist / September 24, 2008 3:44 AM PDT

Amazon has an advertising problem with their mp3 store (hardly anybody I talk to knows it exists even though they regularly shop on Amazon). Like Molly said on an older podcast, why is the mp3 store not plastered across their front page like the stupid Kindle? Hopefully this will boost the store's exposure.

As much as it pains me to say it I think that DRM doesn't really matter to the mainstream as much as it matters to us geeks. iTunes keeps getting bigger and bigger in spite of the fact that they are the only store left still selling DRM'd tracks. This fact has got to p@ss off the record companies who are withholding these tracks to gain power over Apple (which of course delights me because the only thing I hate more than DRM are power hungry record labels trying to game the system so that they can once again control consumers).

Just selling DRM free tracks is not going to kill iTunes.

Collapse -
Um...
by skellener / September 24, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

You can't be much of an iTunes/iPod killer without a 3.5mm headphone jack. What the heck were they thinking?

Collapse -
Yeah, that's genius
by RobertK2of3 / September 24, 2008 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Um...

I think the G1 will be junk. We will probably have a few more Android phones that have junk hardware, until someone makes what we want (whatever that may be -- I know it includes a standard headphone jack).

The thing that bothers me about Android, in its capacity as an iTunes killer is: itunes sells music, and is super-convenient, but it also is a nice player. Coverflow is cool and iTunes generally does a pretty good job. Windows Media Player doesn't. A few other I've tried have been OK, but not as nice as iTunes. ITunes is like a little musical and podcastical universe you can have fun exploring. The others just read files and output the contents from the speakers.

Android needs something as good as iTunes tied to their store to make it convenient. I've bought from both and kind of prefer Amazon, just because of the hassle with DRM.
The thought process with my last album was: Its easy to get it from iTunes, but if I want to pull a song out for my friend, then we decided to cover the song (in a band), I'd have to pull it out again, but then I don't know how many copies I can make, and there is no way I'm going to remember trivia like that, so I'll just spend the extra time to get it from Amazon. Plus, I'm geeky anyway, so its not difficult for me to figure it out--its actually pretty easy, but for non-tech people, its probably that extra step they won't take.

And what do I do with the DRM'd music I did buy from iTunes? Put it on my iPod or iPhone I guess. I haven't bought much, but I still paid for it.

One other gripe/observation (gripservation? observipe?) with this phone and others is the SD card.
The idea of putting in and swapping out an SD card is appealing and gives one the sense of unlimited storage and flexibility.
For some this may be true (and let me know how you pull this off), but I have a Treo with an SD card and the memory on the Treo is so limited (seems like memory on the G1 could be similar), that you start installing stuff (apps) on the SD card. The card becomes part of the functionality of the phone. I thought I could hold vast quantities of music and swap out when I wanted more, but really, I'm not sure what the thing would do if I swapped out my SD card for a fresh one. I probably wouldn't have any apps, making my phone pretty useless.

My point is, on a smart phone, the SD slot is really a way for the manufacturer to put the cost of memory off on the consumer. I'd rather have more on-board memory. This appears to be Apple's philosophy, which I agree with. I think other phones should save us the hassle of juggling dorky-little chips and just put in some dang memory!

Collapse -
(NT) srsly and no a2dp
by robstak / September 25, 2008 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Um...
Collapse -
Yeah...
by skellener / September 25, 2008 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: srsly and no a2dp

What's with all the devices for music NOT supporting a2dp??? What the heck? I have an attachment for my iPod that gives me BT a2dp support to use with my Motorola S9 headphones. But the fact that neither the iPhone nor iPod Touch and now the G1 offer a2dp with thier BT implementation is just astounding. More so on the G1 since there's not even a 3.5mm headphone jack. Even Apple learned that a standard jack is what we want. I'm sticking with my old fashioned 5th gen iPod and ancient RAZR for now. One of these days something will come along with the "right stuff".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?