General discussion

And speaking of proud Dads, my son made the honor roll

finally. His Ancient Greek mark kicked him over the bar. Final average, 85.7% for this semester. I asked him if his Latin mark of 99% meant he had finally beaten his girlfriend in one subject. "No", he said, "she got 100% again this semester". Kids these days. Sheesh.

Rob Boyter (Grinnin' all over mah face)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: And speaking of proud Dads, my son made the honor roll
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: And speaking of proud Dads, my son made the honor roll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Congrat to him... and you enjoy
- Collapse -
Thanks Mary Kay, heaven knows Im as proud as all get out

If he stays on the honor roll 'til the end of the year he is what is called an Ontario (our province)Scholar and it carries a $100 prize with it. I have hopes that his new found addiction to music and desire for an instrument will propel him to greater efforts.

Rob Boyter

- Collapse -
greek+latin+music+instrument=

"hi dad, i'm off to rome and then athens (or sumeria Wink) to study the lyre

jonah "can only play the fool in a rubber band" jones

congratulations!!

- Collapse -
Thanks so much, Jonah!

Yeah, its like all those things I trailed past his nose for the last 17 years have all blossomed at more or less the same time. It's really wonderful, and what's more, he still likes his parents !!!

I've got this great photo from Iraq of a bunch of non-military, academic looking folks standing around some Mig 29s they're digging out of the sand (Saddam's secret airforce). I stuck a caption on it reading "Breakthrough news from the world of Archaeology!! Sumerians invented the jet plane."

Rob

- Collapse -
I guess if you re-read my post and see that word "finally"

at the end of the first sentence it's clear that I have both high hopes for and high expectations of my son. I'm a bit self conscious about that. Its hard to know how to set the bar high and still be supportive no matter how he does.

When we came back from Britain Robbie had been coasting for 4 years and doing well in a very undemanding school system where I think the emphasis was on crowd control rather than learning. His first year back here, Grade 9, was a disaster, I think his average was in the high 50's. Each year it has improved by roughly 10% which is extraordinary and I have concentrated on reinforcing the good stuff and encouraging him to ask for help with his Math. He still hasn't done that, but everything else has been so good that I have nothing but praise for him.

In order to avoid a certain crowding in first year at University in Ontario Robbie has decided to do a second year of grade 12 and collect a whole different set of credits. Up until 2 years ago Ontario had Grade 13 for University entrants. For budgetary reasons (in all probability) the previous Conservative government cut that final year so there were 2 grades graduating at the same time which totally swamped institutes of post secondary education here and the ripples have continued to percolate through the system. His girlfriend with the 95% average (!!!) is going to university this year in a city about 40 miles away so I suspect we're going to see a lot of to-ing and fro-ing this coming year. Guess I'd better have that big talk with him again about condoms!!!

Rob Boyter

- Collapse -
Just curious ...

... how does a kid with an average of <60 get promoted to the next grade? Here in the US that's unequivocally failing!

- Collapse -
Congrats!!

And we got a letter that my daughter is on the "Deans List"! We just don't know which list.Happy

- Collapse -
And congrats right back atcha. Dean's list at University

is definitely an honor, only managed it once myself as an Undergrad. Best wishes to you and your daughter. If she needs help with Latin homework she can call my son.

Rob Boyter

- Collapse -
re: Dean's List

My daughter got those.

When I moved I saved one of those letters (yes- I had saved them all !), kept one and sent it to her. (Could help motivate the grandkids.) Happy

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
Excellent idea Angeline. You must be proud as all-get-out

of her. I'm still a little "blissed-out".

Rob

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And congrats and best wishes to her too.
- Collapse -
Bravo!

It's always a pleasure to hear about young people accomplishing their goals and setting high standards for themselves.

Especially nice when it's one of our own !

Well deserved pride there, Dad !

Angeline

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks so much Angeline. It sure has me walking on air
- Collapse -
Congrats! It's always a terrific thing when kids do well.
Wink
- Collapse -
Thanks KP. But there is one cloud on the horizon.

He's thinking of going into a History Program at University. ;-D

Rob

- Collapse -
Hi, Ziks.

Tell him just about the only thing you can do with a history degree is teach -- that might cure him!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Congrats, and wishes it continues well for him.
- Collapse -
Thanks Roger, I have my fingers crossed, but he's such a

good kid (brag, brag, brag) it's scary. His attitude toward school has matured enormously over the last year too.

Rob

- Collapse -
My least favorite recent bumper sticker (worse than 'W04!')

"My kid can beat up your honor student any day!"
(not found on ANY vehicles belonging to liberals, I guarantee you!)

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 'W04!'...?
- Collapse -
Laughed out loud so long I was able to type all this.

Thanks Dave.

Rob

- Collapse -
not found on ANY vehicles belonging to liberals...

...I guarantee you!

Meaning what?

BTW, what do you think is the predominant political persuasion of the owners of vehicles sporting "My kid is an honors student" bumper stickers?

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Hi, Evie.

I don't think there's any dominant political persuasion to those with "my child is an honor student" stickers. But there are certain stickers you won't find liberals "sporting" -- another is "protected by Smith and Wesson."

- Collapse -
I dunno Dave ...

... I know a lot of liberals that I could see sporting that bumper sticker, like the ones that don't believe in academic honors. As to the "protected by Smith and Wesson", that's your loss Wink

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Hi, Evie.

>>like the ones that don't believe in academic honors.<<
Not so, Evie. Liberals don't believe in violence as the proper way to settle disputes. Most recognize it's sometimes necessary, but certainly not as anythin but a last result, nor as a mark of pride as in that bumper sticker. It has a decided "redneck" flavor to me -- goes with gun-racks and pit bulls!

- Collapse -
Ha!

Dave, you seem to have an inability to separate having a gun for SELF DEFENSE with a propensity to choose violence to settle disputes. "Protected by Smith and Wesson" is not a violent message ... it is a warning to those that might seek to BE violent to not even try it.

OTOH, you claim liberals would not take pride in a bumper sticker that pokes fun at those that sport the "my son is an honors student" bumperstickers with a "violent" message. Well I live and drive in Blue-land up here and I see a lot of those stickers on cars alongside stickers for other liberal causes.

And puh leeze Dave, the liberals laughed their collective a$$es off when Alec Baldwin suggested Henry Hyde be stoned to death weren't doing their best imitations of pacifist peaceniks!! Now THAT is violent.

I think those bumperstickers are sort of humorous. They poke fun at the parents that think it is necessary to brag about their kid's academic honors to the general public (as opposed to bragging to friends and family which is fine by me). It's rather tacky IMO.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Sounds contradictary?
I don't think there's any dominant political persuasion to those with "my child is an honor student" stickers.

So probably some of all persuasions have them and some of all persuasions don't? right?

there are certain stickers you won't find liberals "sporting"

Just sounds like contrary statements?

JMO

Roger

- Collapse -
Liberals never even joke about violence ...

... yeah, and Alec Baldwin didn't publically express his imaginary stoning of Henry Hyde to death.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not even a congratulation, just politics, sigh
- Collapse -
A good joke is as good as a pat on the back. We liberals

understand that. Told my son and he fell about laughing as well, and said "Well, if they're referring to me they're right!"

Rob Boyter

CNET Forums

Forum Info