Speakeasy forum

General discussion

AND OFF WE GO!!

by Northwolf / September 30, 2004 11:02 AM PDT

Sooo, you are going to watch?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AND OFF WE GO!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AND OFF WE GO!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ZZZZzzzzzz
by EdH / September 30, 2004 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: AND OFF WE GO!!
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ZZZZzzzzzz...ZZZZzzzzzz
by Catgic / September 30, 2004 12:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: AND OFF WE GO!! You are sooo right!!!!
by Northwolf / September 30, 2004 12:35 PM PDT

BUT, I still think after the discussion....
Kerry WINS!!

Oh please, oh please....
LOL

Happy

Collapse -
Re: AND OFF WE GO!! -- says the Kerry campaign
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2004 1:30 PM PDT

Hi, Northwolf.

Whom you thought won usually depends on whom you supported going in, so of course I though Kerry won -- and looked much more Presidential (Bush was doing his smirk act again...) But the important thing is what the undecideds or weakly commited thought, and the news there is good, at least according to the CBS panel of 200 undecided voters nationwide (the usual deal -- equipped with dials they push up or down as they listen, and then asked right after for their general impression). 41% thought Kerry won, 26% thought Bush won, and 33%. NBC asked a question specifically about Kerry (I was channel surfing after the debate ended). Asked whether their view of Kerry after the debate was better, worse, or about the same, it was 52% better, 14% worse, and the rest about the same (I didn't come in early enough to hear whether that was a general or undecided panel).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 1:51 PM PDT

and kerry knows how to win a war yea right now if you want a tan ask him

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2004 2:02 PM PDT

Hi, Mark.

It should be obvious to the meanest intelligence by now that Bush certainly doesn't know how to win a war (and certaining not when it's been won!)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Huh? Your statement is self contradictory.
by James Denison / October 1, 2004 9:03 AM PDT
Devil
Collapse -
This was a DEBATE ! ?
by Mac McMullen / September 30, 2004 1:35 PM PDT

Not in my opinion.

Kerry, with his many years of experienced protesting, first
in the erly '70's, then for 2 decades among the distinguished
gentlement with powdered wigs, skillfully took his comments
off-subject, repeatedly.

Bush, instead of taking the argument to Kerry, even when
Kerry left the door wide open, used too much time with
catch phrases and repeated comments, .....among his
agonizing pauses for effect.

If anyone came away from this .... production....
believing they gained any new insight to either of
these men, I must have missed something.

I'm left with my opinion that Bush will do what he says,
and that Kerry will say what he thinks the audience wants
to hear, at the moment, with no confidence he will follow thru.

This was a DEBATE ?

Collapse -
You're a generous man, Del
by Dan McC / September 30, 2004 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: This was a DEBATE ! ?

Bush wasn't pausing for effect most of the time. He was trying to come up with something to say without repeating what he had just said, or to come up with a word. He didn't seem exceptionally well prepared.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: You're a generous man, Del
by Josh K / September 30, 2004 11:50 PM PDT

I have to partially disagree, Dan. I do think Bush was well prepared in certain ways. His constant repeating of the same phrases was expected and clearly planned. I also thought he had the "aw shucks, ah'm just a plain talkin' Texan" bit running on all 8 cylinders last night, and (I'll admit) to very good effect. It probably played very well in certain parts of the country despite the fact that he wasn't really saying very much. And I'll give him big points for one moment -- when he related the story about meeting with the widow of a soldier who was killed in Iraq. His carefully chosen words ("we prayed together...") will score him some points in the South and midwest. It was also a well executed (and obviously scripted) effort to demonstrate that he is in touch with the fact that people are dying and that the dead are human beings with families.

Kerry gets the nod on substance IMO, though I think he missed a lot of opportunities. He should have known Bush would bring up the $87 million thing and he should have hammered right back (and if you examine the details of that vote you'd know that it wasn't a flip-flop at all). He could have done himself some real good by snapping back "You know why I voted against that $87 million? I'll tell you why" and let Bush have it. He didn't though and that was only one instance where he let a barb go by unanswered.

We watched for around an hour, then switched to the Yankee game when we saw it was tied in the 9th inning.

Collapse -
A cynical aside... Has anyone seen....
by Mosonnow / September 30, 2004 7:52 PM PDT

the programme about the obsessive compulsive detective "Monk", who insists on being given a hand-wipe cloth from his assistant whenever he has touched anything "untoward".

I had a mental picture last night after Bush and Kerry shook hands at the outset that both of them would be hoping to be given a hand-wipe cloth.

I'm looking forward to the re-match...

Cynically yours,
Mo

Collapse -
Re: AND OFF WE GO!!
by Cindi Haynes / October 1, 2004 1:29 AM PDT

Hi Wolf,

I watched. I have to say that Kerry was well-spoken, and earned more style points than Bush. I thought he brought up some good points that were concerns I have about Bush. I also think that Bush made some faces as Kerry was speaking that reminded me in a bad way of Gore's behavior in 2000. The station I watched didn't show much split-screen of Kerry while Bush spoke though, so it was hard to judge the other direction.

Bush had a couple of good opportunities to really rip into Kerry, and part of me wished he had, and part of me was glad he took the higher road and didn't. Kerry's "Which is worse?" line really ticked me off. The items under discussion didn't lend themselves well to a comparison. Besides, it was supposed to be a debate, not a rally.

In the end though, Kerry kept waxing eloquent about having a better plan, making different decisions, funding this and coalitioning that, but never pinned down WHAT his plan was, WHAT different decisions he would make, HOW his plan (whatever it is) is better, or HOW he was gonna pay for it all. Bush ended up not saying much at all, but then again, his views and plans were stated simply, and since they are in progress, there wasn't much more TO say.

Decision after round one? Kerry's a better debater. Bush is a better President.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Well actually Kerry did
by Rick S / October 1, 2004 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: AND OFF WE GO!!

refer to his website for details on his plan(s) and there is a more detailed explanation. I believe time constraints kept him from elaborating.

Other than that I agree with you.

Maybe all that hot air helped dry out FL just a little.

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 1, 2004 3:44 AM PDT

Pretty good critique Cindi. Wasn't much of a debate that I'm used to observing, remembering the ones JFK were in that were exciting.

I was watching mainly on CNN with occasional switching to MSNBC and did observe quite a bit of Kerry frowning, grinning, eyebrow raising while Pres Bush talked. Bush mainly gave his dead pan look of disgust and I didn't observe any but maybe one look-alike of Gore, and of course Gore did show a lot of facial expressions when he was listening.

It was generally agreed by most before the so called debate that Kerry was a better public speaker than Bush, so that old horse can be put to bed. I thought Bush did very well without any slips. Kerry of course took the road that many who have never been president do to criticize. He even tried to bring up cautiously his military experience, and praise of the military which he sorely needs. Bush took the road of praising his military service. Kerry kept bad mouthing the Iraq war...Bush reminding that Kerry voted in favor, and all the wisher washie Kerry does with no consistency. Kerry trying to say he would do better in getting coalition support and not giving the correct facts that Bush had to correct him on.

Well, they both did what was expected. IMO Kerry would be a disaster on our foreign and military policy and would jeopardize our country. I also don't comprehend his criticism and that he could do a better post war of Iraq.

Collapse -
by Niles / October 1, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

Oh, god, I was hoping that the "understudies" would not weigh in on this. god forgive me for wishing for that which would not happen due to the mere fact that even a drowing rat will protect the boat it came in on.

Collapse -
Huh?
by Josh K / October 1, 2004 6:22 AM PDT

I don't understand your post. Do you mean you don't want Bush supporters commenting on the debate? Why not? What fun would the debate have been if only one candidate had shown up?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well put.
by lylesg / October 1, 2004 11:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I think they both lost the debate...
by C1ay / October 1, 2004 8:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
You might be right.
by James Denison / October 1, 2004 10:44 AM PDT

I was disappointed in both of them. While watching it, I thought that local politicians often have better debates on issues than the two presidential contenders did. I forced myself to listen to the whole thing, and at the end of it, felt cheated of the substance I'd hoped would be displayed from either side of it. The scope was too limited, Kerry was a good attack dog, but nothing backing it up like what HE planned to do, other than insinuating we should trust in him. Reminded me of the snake in the Jungle Book movie. Bush acted like someone being questioned by the high school coach on why the coach thought he'd screwed up, at least till he started swinging a bit more in the second half. The whole thing was a dismal show, and if it wasn't a presidential contest it would never get the networks to host a second one.

Collapse -
Re: You might be right.
by Rolway / October 1, 2004 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: You might be right.

Hi James: I think the reason you and everyone else felt cheated by the debate or not what you expected to hear was because, The answers were carefully planned by both Kerry and Bush prior to the debate according to the commission co-chairman. Their remarks on the war in Iraq and other major issues were carefully scripted in advance. They took it upon themselfs to work out an agreement between them. So they did what they believed to be in their own best interest, not in the voters best interest. It was'nt a debate, just a little staged chat by both.

George

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.