Speakeasy forum

General discussion

And I thought SpeakEasy was the only CNet forum with numerous posts to a thread..

by John Robie / April 21, 2004 2:00 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: And I thought SpeakEasy was the only CNet forum with numerous posts to a thread..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: And I thought SpeakEasy was the only CNet forum with numerous posts to a thread..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without reading them all, I have to side with the dust bunny people.

Just last week my own computer starting hanging on me. A good internal cleaning, especially of the fan blades and heat sink fins over the processor solved the problem.

Collapse -
I posted one a while ago about ...

the knowledge I had learned that Athlons are prone to overheating. I'm not smart enough to take the cover off to run it "bare" so vacuumed the fan etc regularly and lifted the drive up off the carpet. I later found it had a side vent, being on the side against the wall - doh!

PS to John - You don't think we could get this one up to 293 do you? My opinion? No way, it's much easier to throw the whole darn thing out of the window. (Handy tip, open the window first.)

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:I posted one a while ago about ...
by John Robie / April 22, 2004 5:15 AM PDT

LOL...

You know Mo, what is amazing is that the Desktop Forum has been one of the ignored help forums for a long time...under 1000 post since October much less than some of the others. Look at SE which has 32,000 post by comparison. Then this guy wants to know about the on/off switch around April 14..and zing...all have something to say. Grin

Check my dust solver:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=20519&start=0
Cool
John

Collapse -
Geek coming out of the woodwork - here I go....
by Mosonnow / April 22, 2004 8:51 PM PDT

Dear John,

Being of the female variety, I take a piece from a nylon stocking, dipped in anti-static fabric conditioner, and use drafting (architectural?) tape to cover the intake vents, replacing it as and when it is dusty. Like I said, I'm not smart enough to do all the clever fan-filter things you suggest but appreciate the knowledge for the day when it all falls into place.

The thing about forum activity, to me, is that there are just too many of them - i.e. too many overlapping ones. Either CNet has a small army of expert helpers or shurely shomething wrong here. Luckily, we are all experts on Speakeasy. Devil

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Geek coming out of the woodwork - here I go....
by John Robie / April 24, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

A couple years ago Toni H. mentioned in the Computer Help forum about using a nylon stocking. Trouble is the dust collects around here pretty quick as we leave the windows open when weather is Ok to save on utilities. The stocking clogs up pretty fast, so I've been using the AC or heating type filters. You mentioned "drafting (architectural?) tape" that I'm not familiar with. Have used duct tape and different type 'masking' tape used for painting (not art). A guy (Norm) in the Desktop forum just told me about using a inexpensive "hot gun" glue that is easy to peal for sticking the filters on. Sounds good to me. Wife has a hot glue gun and I'm going to check it out. May make it easier to change filters rather than unscrewing fan guards.

Collapse -
James...see my solution for the dust....
Collapse -
Re:James...see my solution for the dust....
by James Denison / April 22, 2004 2:37 PM PDT

A good solution. I probably could put one of those across my front fan which blows inward. Lately my problem has been leaving my side open for easy access and I don't always have it completely back in place, sometimes just propped against it. That darn USR modem if the computer loses power has to be unplugged and plugged back in to work right. Even disconnecting the phone line won't let it lose whatever glitch it gets at such time, and the motherboard battery seems to keep it there. Probably should have tossed it a while ago, since it took a hit from line lightning months ago then a power station burnout which fried two drives, but other than that oddity which developed it works fine. I'm threatening it with a Broadxent I have sitting near here in a box just in case I need it, but been putting that off hating to toss a piece of equipment that can still be used.

Collapse -
Some oft-posted topics are guaranteed to flush the geeks out of the woodwork....

...and start a long and usually silly thread. "PC or Mac?" is another one.

Collapse -
Absolutely Mac!
Devil

Dan
Collapse -
(NT)Re:Absolutely Mac!, Nawwww, it's Burger King over Mac any day.
by Roger NC / April 22, 2004 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely Mac!
Collapse -
No way! Wendy's! ! ! -nt

Collapse -
Re:No way! Wendy's ??
by Rolway / April 23, 2004 1:25 AM PDT

Heh, heh Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:No way! Wendy's ??
by Josh K / April 23, 2004 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:No way! Wendy's ??

Wendy's are the only fast-food burgers I'll eat. When it comes to chicken, Popeye's rules!

Collapse -
Fast food chicken? ? ?
by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 1:48 AM PDT

Not even on a bet!

Wink

Collapse -
If ever in Texas, try a Whataburger. Too bad that's the only place they are. NT
by James Denison / April 23, 2004 1:52 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:No way! Wendy's ??
by Rolway / April 23, 2004 2:25 AM PDT

Had something else on my mind Josh, when Dan mentioned Wendys. Anyway, no Popeyes up here. Fried Chicken - KC... Any one remember Joe Nemos Hot Dogs. 4 Dogs & a 6 pack for a buck.

George

Collapse -
A six-pack of what?
by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

At that price I can't imagine anything even as good as Fox Head beer. That's the worst beer in the world.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:A six-pack of what?
by Josh K / April 23, 2004 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: A six-pack of what?

I've never tried Fox Head, but I wonder whether you've ever tasted Pabst Blue Ribbon and if so, how close a second it ran to Fox Head.

Collapse -
Re:Re:A six-pack of what?
by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:A six-pack of what?

I've never had Pabst, but I saw a kid throw up after one sip of Fox Head.

The worst expensive beer I've ever had was a bottle of cherry flavored beer from France. It had a cork even. Go figure.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:A six-pack of what?
by Rolway / April 23, 2004 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: A six-pack of what?

This was good olde boy stuff Dan. Brewed locally on the docks in Charlestown. It was a little ripe, but cheap. Course I'm talking back in the 50s. I'll say one thing, the hangover was brutal.

Collapse -
Mmmmmmmmmm!
by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:A six-pack of what?

I can smell that fresh Charleston Bay water now! Screw the damned Rockies!

Dan

Collapse -
Can you smell the 30 miles of bog to get there from the interstate? nt
by James Denison / April 23, 2004 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Mmmmmmmmmm!

Collapse -
Re:Yes sir, when the wind blows inland. Lots of seagulls.

Hi there James;

Many of you, I'm sure, have seen a Seagull pick up a clam
and then fly up into the sky about fifty feet or more and then
drop the Clam, which breaks open upon hitting the ground.

Well, a Near-Sighted Seagull picked up a small stone,
mistaking it for a Clam. He then flew up about a hundred
feet and dropped it. Unfortunately, the "Clam" hit a
Senior Citizen who was sun bathing on the beach.

The Coroner's report named the apparent cause of death
as a Gull-Stone.

George

Collapse -
(NT) GROANNNNNNNNNNNN, chuckling, good one.
by Roger NC / April 23, 2004 7:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good one, I began to suspect it was a joke at "near sighted seagull". Imagining a gull with little spectacles. NT
by James Denison / April 23, 2004 1:57 PM PDT

Collapse -
Re:Mmmmmmmmmm!
by Rolway / April 23, 2004 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Mmmmmmmmmm!

Not "Charleston" Dan. "Charlestown, Mass." You know, where the pilgrems threw all the Tea overboard. Took them until now to clean up the Harbor.

Geo.

Collapse -
That just makes the taste crisper! ;-) -nt
by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Mmmmmmmmmm!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.