Speakeasy forum

General discussion

And for our northern friends and fans of Gord:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: And for our northern friends and fans of Gord:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: And for our northern friends and fans of Gord:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interestingly...

In reply to: And for our northern friends and fans of Gord:

As all the LPs and tapes of my youth have been long ago lost or ruined, I have over the past decade or so replaced much of the good stuff with re-releases on CD of the originals or best-of compilations. My ''Best of Gordon Lightfoot'' disk doesn't have that track. I wonder why his producer didn't include it, but filled the disk with some other forgetable stuff?

dw

Collapse -
Possible answer

In reply to: Interestingly...

I have three G.L vinyl recordings including "Best of..." and Summertime Dream which has "The Wreck of......". The Best of Gordon Lightfoot is on the United Artists label but Summertime Dream and Cold on the Shoulder (my other vinyl record) is on a Warner Brothers label. It's possible the "Best of.." album preceeded the others, actually. My Summertime Dream album shows a '76 date but can find nothing on the others. In fact, none of the songs on the WB albums are on the Best of album. One of the Best of songs is "Early Morning Rain" and another is "For Lovin' Me" which I think were from the '60s. Perhaps a "Best of the Best of G.L" will be releases. Because he appeared on more than one label, this could also be a factor as legal issues do happen. My guess anyway.

Collapse -
Check here

In reply to: Possible answer

Collapse -
Aha....

In reply to: Check here

there's the "Best of..." album, and then there's the "Complete Best of..." album. I hadn't thought of the issue of different labels.

dw

Collapse -
Edmund

In reply to: Possible answer

'Label considerations' is probably the best guess. ''Best of Gordon Lightfoot'' would have to have it otherwise.

Collapse -
But as Evie linked

In reply to: Edmund

and I failed to research first, it appears that the "Best of..."album I have did precede his "Wreck of.." recording. Thus it's just how companies seem to market artists. I think when groups and singers start to fall behind on their productivity, these "special" albums appear. One could think that a "Best of ?" album infers the artist is, for one reason or another, no longer recording. It does not work this way. Some record companies make several compilations of old or remixed material to sell as new albums. When you buy it and start listening you realize you already have most of it. But it does look like Gordon's got a new "Best of" now so the old one is obsolete.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) so in fact, the ''best'' got ''better''? ;-)

In reply to: But as Evie linked

Collapse -
good links, thanks

In reply to: And for our northern friends and fans of Gord:

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.