Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ancient mystery -holes?

by Willy / May 6, 2007 10:24 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ancient mystery -holes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ancient mystery -holes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are ruins east of there
by Dragon / May 7, 2007 12:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Both in Peru
by Willy / May 7, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

The topic both covers holes and they are both in Peru according to the subject test. So, it seems to appear so, what I have no idea though.

When viewing your picture, it seems the darken area of the holes where they mention it, seems to me as if it represents a open snake's mouth. Just a thought. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) It's the burn mark from the space ship takeoff. 42.
by drpruner / May 8, 2007 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Both in Peru
Collapse -
Like any other man made but unexplainable formation, it's
by Steven Haninger / May 7, 2007 4:42 AM PDT
"ART". Happy
Collapse -
I'm missing the details....
by Angeline Booher / May 7, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

.... because the info is packed away somewhere, but the story is true.

(I know first hand.)

When one visits the Aran Islands, tall stone columns are seen. The locals will say that there is so much rock that they have to bury their dead standing up, so the columns are, shall I say, individual mausoleums/

Decades ago a reporter from a major American newspaper was told the same thing when he visited. On his return he wrote an article, as he thought it was true.:-)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
If I recall
by James Denison / May 7, 2007 10:20 PM PDT

....when I saw similar years ago at some other site and studied the pictures and also those other holes had something like small arching mounds looking like they were directing some flow, I realized they were to catch runoff from snow melt or rain. The particular ones I recall some lids had been found nearby too which would have protected the clean water. As for these holes, they might have been constructed for similar reasons, maybe at one time had some fill dirt placed in them and a corn or other food providing plant in each one.

Collapse -
(NT) That's a very interesting thought
by Dragon / May 7, 2007 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: If I recall
Collapse -
I think you're on to something.
by drpruner / May 8, 2007 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: If I recall

Here in cliff dweller country archaeologists have found evidence that necessity is indeed the mother of [some amazing] inventions: Save water or die.

I may have mentioned before that many of those ancients waterproofed their irrigation ditches; our ditch system today is mostly bare dirt, so many acre-feet are lost each season to seepage. Evolution, my foot! Happy

Collapse -
Mayas or Incas, maybe both...
by James Denison / May 8, 2007 10:06 PM PDT

....knew and did some amazing things for "primitive" people. One or both had built water transports that rivaled the Roman aqueducts in their ability to bring water from long distances. I remember reading how they'd put large rocks spaced properly apart to create turbulence on the downhill runs and thereby slow the flow. They also narrowed and deepened channels where they went uphill using hydraulic principle to speed the water up so it would flow uphill.

Collapse -
I remember an article on the Roman system
by drpruner / May 9, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

and their siphoning through some very large and deep valleys. And remember they probably had to guess if it would work; modern engineers can model first.

Also, the Mayans used zero, and had calendars that predicted celestial events including planetary events.

Collapse -
There's some speculation
by Dragon / May 9, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

That the Olmecs first used zero. If so, maybe the Mayans came from those people. On the other hand, maybe the Olmecs came from the south, or ultimately, from across the Pacific.

Collapse -
(NT) wasn't Alf from Olmec? ;-)
by jonah jones / May 9, 2007 12:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Which Alf...
by J. Vega / May 10, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

Which Alf? The only one I remember was from the planet Melmac.
Here, Kitty Kitty (grin).

Collapse -
Melmac is correct and is also a brand name
by Steven Haninger / May 10, 2007 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Alf...

for a melamine dinnerware popular as an informal table setting. If today's news is correct, we're not just eating off the plates but might be eating the plates as well. Happy

Collapse -
It's the same stuff, all right, but the
by drpruner / May 11, 2007 12:34 AM PDT

tableware was, of course, processed and baked to a fare-thee-well. The kitties are getting the raw powder, I think.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info.
by drpruner / May 10, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

Whether "came from those people" is the case, certainly the concept wouldn't have had far to travel. The Wikipedia article also shows the importance of zero to the excellent astronomical calculations these people made.

Collapse -
Engineering projects beginnings
by Willy / May 10, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

I believe some of the best engineering of the ancients were water related. More importantly they were "practical engineering", everything from aqueducts, plumbing, reservoirs, drainage and irrigation. On the flip side were roads and found on both sides of the world, old and new. Too bad, they practiced war mongering it seems and left only structures like roads and water projects, besides the building. I wondered what they would have done with asphalt, still be patched today. Wink -----Willy

Collapse -
And these days, Highway Worker is
by drpruner / May 11, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

considered one of those 'civil service, sleep on the job' positions. Not back then, though.

Collapse -
Meanwhile, we highly-advance Anglo-Saxon
by drpruner / May 11, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
More strange holes. Devil's footprints?
by James Denison / May 11, 2007 5:12 PM PDT
http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/hs/bath/legends-hoofprints.htm
"....Though unsheltered, the holes remain free of grass, leaves, pine needles, or debris of any kind. And history has revealed that if the depressions are filled with earth?or anything else?they are always found to be empty and clean not long after. Within a few hours, the next morning, or sometimes the next week, the holes always come up empty after any attempt to fill them.

For many years, an old decayed stump of a pine tree was visible near the depressions?supposedly the rotting remnants of the tree that had figured in Jesse Elliott's death.

Around the mid-20th-century, a newsreel cameraman named Earl Harrell arrived to get some pictures of these strange marks in the ground. He was told by local residents that chickens would eat corn from all around the holes, but that they would not touch any kernals that were actually in the depressions. Harrell decided to film his own experiment with chickens and corn, and the result was the same. The birds ate all of the corn from around the holes, but ignored the feed lying within the holes themselves?even after the surrounding ground had been picked clean.

Intrigued, Harrell tried another experiment....."
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.